Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruby on Rails + sqlite3 + quantumdb

Options
  • 02-10-2009 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

I played around with RoR through the command prompt and did a few tutorials and everything seems fine.
    So I installed RadRails which you need Aptana for too (both as plug-ins for eclipse). So I tried to create my first project using this. It all runs fine. However I've been trying to view the sqlite3 database that rails creates. After jumping through some hoops due to their out of date documentation, I installed QuantumDB.
    However I can't figure out how to view the database in my rails project. When I switch to the QuantumDB perspective with my project open it's just empty. Am I right in thinking that the file development.sqlite3 in the db folder is my database?
    I've tried adding a bookmark but tbh don't know what I'm doing.
    Google has been next to useless :/
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Why don't you just open the sqlite3 database with sqlite3?

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Why don't you just open the sqlite3 database with sqlite3?

Or am I missing something?
    Yes, you are.
    Sqlite3 isn't an executable like Microsoft Access, hence the need for a 3rd party database viewer.

http://www.sqlite.org/download.html
    Precompiled Binaries For Windows
    sqlite-3_6_18.zip
    (248.09 KiB) A command-line program for accessing and modifying SQLite databases. See the documentation for additional information.

Precompiled Binaries For Windows
    sqlite-3_6_18.zip
    (248.09 KiB) A command-line program for accessing and modifying SQLite databases. See the documentation for additional information.
    I want to view the tables in a GUI which is what QuantumDB is supposed to do but I (a) don't where the actual database is being stored and (b) don't know how to display it.

Ah right, that answers my first question better.

I don't know anything about RoR or QuantumDB, but if you do use SQLite's command line program, you could figure out pretty quickly whether development.sqlite3 is indeed your database or not.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Advertisement

If it's not one thing it's another...
    I set up Mysql as there seems to be alot more info about that around than sqlite3.
    I created a database through the command line and added a table. I can connect to and view it through quantumdb.
    However when I swap to view the rails project (in Radrails) I've created using the database I am unable to run any rake tasks. The tab where you select them is just greyed out.
    Any ideas?

In case anyone's wondering, Mysql 5.1 doesn't play nice with Rails. Fix outlined here.
    It's a wonder anyone gets any work done with the tools we're given.

Advertisement