Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV to MacDonagh?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

mixman wrote: »
    Bit of inside information from HMV, Its goin were da old Zavvi unit was and will be opening hopfully on the Saturday (31st) or the Sunday.

How is it coming along? Have not been in MacDonagh this week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

HMV is opening on mon 9th of Nov :D

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

HMV is such a bad idea .............. I'm going to broke from buying pointless DVDs :P but least thats my Christmas shopping sorted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I amazed that they really have not made an effort to promote that HMV is coming to the Junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I'm not.

• Advertisement

Considering I found out what the rent for a stall is today I cannot imagine what the rent for an actual store lot is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 upthecats

mfitzy wrote: »
    How is it coming along? Have not been in MacDonagh this week..
    I was there to-day and had a quick sneak at the unit and didn't look like anybody was woking in it but am pretty sure I saw shelves up so may not be much more work to get open:))))

Also noticed a new Sasha store and around 3 or 4 more reserved signs up so touch wood we will have a good few more options to shop in MacDonagh for Christmas.

Hate going High Street this time year once the cold weather kicks in so would be keen to shop there. I just hope we get another food option:)))))

upthecats wrote: »
    I was there to-day and had a quick sneak at the unit and didn't look like anybody was woking in it but am pretty sure I saw shelves up so may not be much more work to get open:))))

Its just Zavvis old shelves that were put back after the Weapons display. Other than that there has been no sign of life around there. I'm not going to get my hopes up on HMV being in there anytime soon.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Its just Zavvis old shelves that were put back after the Weapons display. Other than that there has been no sign of life around there. I'm not going to get my hopes up on HMV being in there anytime soon.

I feel kinda the same. "I'll believe when I see it" is my attidude. Of course HMV have been advertising on their website for jobs. Other than that seen nothing official or anyhting else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

aww johnmc1, dont say stuff like that :( was all hyped up for a nov 9th opening and doing a spot of early christmas shopping

• Advertisement

Brian017 wrote: »
    aww johnmc1, dont say stuff like that :( was all hyped up for a nov 9th opening and doing a spot of early christmas shopping

Sorry Brian. Unfortunately there has been no sign of anything going in there. Hopefully by the weekend they'll put something up to let us know if its coming or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

upthecats wrote: »
    Also noticed a new Sasha store and around 3 or 4 more reserved signs up so touch wood we will have a good few more options to shop in MacDonagh for Christmas.

Sasha went bust a few months ago. Those reserved signs seem to go up around the centre a lot, but usually, nothing comes of them.

thats the reply i got from HMV when i emailed them few days ago :D

Thank you for your email regarding our Kilkenny store.

I can confirm the store opens on Monday 9th November.

Thank you for contacting hmv Customer Service and we look forward to your custom.

Kindest regards,

Karen McIntosh

Well I hope that confirms it for us now as well.

the kilkenny store is listed on the HMV web site now in the store finder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Sorry Brian. Unfortunately there has been no sign of anything going in there. Hopefully by the weekend they'll put something up to let us know if its coming or not.

You'll find the store has been planagrammed to the last inch at head office and an army of people will descend on the new store a few days before opening. Every box will be numbered and each box placed beside where the contents are to be displayed. Then everything is opened and put on the shelves.

3 - 4 days maximum for a store the size of zavvi.

Think they've started. Was ust over there on my day off and there is a big poster in the Window of old Zavvi shop "HMV Opening Soon"!

All the lights were turned on and lots of paper that looked like plans layed out on front desk. So I'd say they are starting.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Think they've started. Was ust over there on my day off and there is a big poster in the Window of old Zavvi shop "HMV Opening Soon"!

All the lights were turned on and lots of paper that looked like plans layed out on front desk. So I'd say they are starting.

Sligo is due to open on Nov 7th and no sign of life at their proposed store except for the "HMV Opening Soon" poster!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Sligo is due to open on Nov 7th and no sign of life at their proposed store except for the "HMV Opening Soon" poster!

i didn't see anybody working either but all the lights were turned on fully and as I say lots of paper on a desk! Could be fitted out easily and quickly. As somone poster already it will be to a set design all from a box.

looks like few more shops on the way for the junction :D for christmas http://kilkennyalive.com/story/85-new-jobs-macdonagh-junctions-christmas-present-kilkenny

• Advertisement

looks like few more shops on the way for the junction :D for christmas http://kilkennyalive.com/story/85-new-jobs-macdonagh-junctions-christmas-present-kilkenny

HMV is the only one I'm looking forward to. Enough with the Clothing and Coffee stores. A little more variety will go a long way here.

was in the shopping centre today, lots of movement going on in the HMV shop, shop fitters from UK there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

hope it lives up to expectations.
    anyone notice the leak in the roof in mcdonagh! that didnt take long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

Was in there today and they had staff puting the cd and DVDs on racks so hopefy be open by saterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

gunner11 wrote: »
    hope it lives up to expectations.
    anyone notice the leak in the roof in mcdonagh! that didnt take long!
    To be fair the amount of shortcuts taken in building that place was shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

To be fair the amount of shortcuts taken in building that place was shocking.

I think I remember people saying at the time there was some clause where the builders would lose X amount of money for every day they went over the deadline? or possible some bonus for opening ahead of schedule? something like that anyway

Is the HMV store in Kilkenny a permanent one,it looks like the Sligo one is only open to cover the Christmas period.

Here is an email i received from HMV .................

Dear XXXXX,

Ref: 113125

I am writing to you in response to your recent communication regarding our Short Lease store in Sligo.

I am pleased to inform you that the above store will be trading from the 9th November 2009, however, we do not currently have any plans to keep this store open for longer than the Christmas period, meaning the store will be unable to place any customer orders and will only sell the items that they have available within the store, the majority of which will be new releases and high interest items.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and we look forward to seeing you in store soon.

Kind regards

Samantha Firth
    Customer Service

I hope this is not the case in Kilkenny. Have heard nothing to the contrary, seems permanent from what I read i.e. 15 new jobs; http://www.kilkennyalive.com/story/85-new-jobs-macdonagh-junctions-christmas-present-kilkenny

I've never heard of stores like HMV just opening Temp stores, seems highly unusual. Maybe they are testing the waters and don't want to commit too long.

Well they are opening a few 'pop up' stores in the UK in towns where there was a Zavvi or Woolworths store previously,all closing in January 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 roller66

hmv have got 3 years free rent from mcdonagh so id say they might be here a bit longer than 6 wks

Advertisement