Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV to MacDonagh?

Options

Comments

I have since heard that the Sligo one is permanent as well,some minion at HMV in London sent out an incorrect email!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fraido

HMV is opening tomorrow Saturday in Mcdonagh junction. A lot of work gone into it so I doubt its a temporary thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mutleyhound

Is heartbeat city closing was trying to get Beatles boxset they said they can't get it for me now that's a bit Irish ................To be honest Rollercoaster kick ass fair play to keep fighting ....very Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Heading into town today,hope its open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Healium wrote: »
    Heading into town today,hope its open

I was just up there. Its open.

• Advertisement

Sweet! Is it good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

Was in there they had noting I was looking for picked up a faw blu-rays they where looking 40 each what do they think peaple are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Sweet! Is it good?

Pretty much same layout and content as the old Zavii....I'm happy to have a decent dvd place near by again though did notice the shopping center is putting up the cost of parking come the 11th of this month - didn't say how much it was going up by just that it was going up.

ztoical wrote: »
    Pretty much same layout and content as the old Zavii....I'm happy to have a decent dvd place near by again though did notice the shopping center is putting up the cost of parking come the 11th of this month - didn't say how much it was going up by just that it was going up.

I was just going to say that. Its exactly like Zavvis. Same setup and everything.

Horribly let down. Same as Zavvi but seems more expensive and there's much less music,concentrating on DVD's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

HMV in Dublin I always found to be expensive as well except during sales.

Horribly let down. Same as Zavvi but seems more expensive and there's much less music,concentrating on DVD's

God people on here are never happy...it's step up from xtravision and heartbeat city plus the two guys on the cash desk are cute [dumb as sht!t but damn cute]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How wonderful...even less incentive to go over there now. The Fairgreen is free and its town centre and prob MacDonaghs main competition after the Market Cross.

roller66 wrote: »
    hmv have got 3 years free rent from mcdonagh so id say they might be here a bit longer than 6 wks

Where'd YOU hear that? Seems like a very very good deal indeed for HMV..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

It would make sense. HMV would increase the footfall into the centre a lot more than another clothes shop. However, three years rent free seems like an awful lot. A few months rent free, fair enough, but not three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I was over there today. Nice to see how busy the centre was. I was queueing for the car park for a spot for about ten-fifteen minutes.
    (Not that the car park was full but it was very close to it - it took me that long to get to the section of the bottom floor of the car park where it is unopened yet.)
    Yes, HMV is a close replica of Zavvi but I thought we all agreed Zavvi was missed and was sorely needed for choice? Strangely, the planagram for HMV is nearly identical to Zavvi's!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Who can blame them for stocking more dvds then music, in this modern age they have to compete with iTunes and thats hard going (never mind the warez sites).

Not everyone knows, wants or will take the risk of downloading a movie as they see it as more risky then downloading music so the % of people buying movies is likely higher or atleast from HMV's experience it might be.

As there are no decent/large legal download/rent services for movies in Ireland via the net yet DVD sales and rentals are still pretty ok.

God people are never happy....

God people on here are never happy...it's step up from xtravision and heartbeat city plus the two guys on the cash desk are cute [dumb as sht!t but damn cute]
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Who can blame them for stocking more dvds then music, in this modern age they have to compete with iTunes and thats hard going (never mind the warez sites).

Not everyone knows, wants or will take the risk of downloading a movie as they see it as more risky then downloading music so the % of people buying movies is likely higher or atleast from HMV's experience it might be.

As there are no decent/large legal download/rent services for movies in Ireland via the net yet DVD sales and rentals are still pretty ok.

God people are never happy....

Eh, sorry there, but I'm entitled to an opinion. I, for one, will probably never buy a DVD there. The music and gaming section there is all that interests me. The gaming is about the same as Zavvi, and I'm just saying that they've got a smaller music section, which is a bit crap for someone like me who spent about €50 on CD's in Zavvi every week, mostly by Irish bands, which I'm worried won't be stocked now.

I was just over there and thought it was excellent. Great selection and good prices. Bought a cd and a dvd. Has brought a buzz back to MacDonagh. The other new stores will do the same.
    Was great to see a few familiar old Zavvi faces working there. Good to see it working out for them.

I'm just saying that they've got a smaller music section, which is a bit crap for someone like me who spent about €50 on CD's in Zavvi every week, mostly by Irish bands, which I'm worried won't be stocked now.

Did you think to ask them to order in some of the music you want? Place has just opened and prob has the standard selection of music and will prob just focus on main chart stuff unless people ASK for stuff.
    mfitzy wrote: »
    I was just over there and thought it was excellent. Great selection and good prices.

+1 As someone who spent way too much money on dvd's in the old Zavii I'm happy with the selection of dvd's and there were a number of tv boxsets I wanted that were cheaper then they were in Zavii.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'm just glad that it's there. I tend to download music nowadays so the DVD section would attract me more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Great crowd around Mcdonagh yesterday. Great to see the unit up and running again :) Best of luck to them, and I see Santa is on the way next sat :) Hope now this kickstarts Mcdonagh again.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Yeah, I'm agreed. HMV was buzzing over the weekend and McDonagh in general was looking in great shape. Nice to see it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I was in there yesterday, bought a couple of things. It's good to have a big music store again. Was also happy to see where Cunniffes was on Johns Green is open late and has an ATM, it pissed me off having to go to the Jet before heading over to Byrnes.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I was interested in buying some stuff from there. I'll probably LOSW DVDs [I want to see if they are full seasons and not just random eps from the seasons] and some UFCs [45 for Bisping vs Leben? :rolleyes:]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Was in there today, Price increased by 30c per hour in the Car Park, they obviously knew that HMV would increase business, and it certainly has, and with no name now stocking Sasha clothes.. it seemed much better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

I didn't go into HMV yet as probably wouldn't shop there unless buying Christmas presents (so will be there soon enough!).

My two kids think the Grotto is cool and they can't wait for Santa to arrive on Saturday as they loved it there last year. The kids told me they heard that Louis Walsh and the Jedward twins may be making a guest appearance in macDonagh in a few weeks. Anyone else heard this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The kids told me they heard that Louis Walsh and the Jedward twins may be making a guest appearance in macDonagh in a few weeks. Anyone else heard this?

I doubt it, thez're trying to attract people to the centre :pac:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

The kids told me they heard that Louis Walsh and the Jedward twins may be making a guest appearance in macDonagh in a few weeks.

I'll be waiting for them in the carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I'll be waiting for them in the carpark.

For their autographs is it??? :p

Advertisement