Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A4 1.9TDI oil change

• 02-10-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi there,
    recently bought a diesel Audi and want to change the oil so i know its been done and i can start my own maintenance records for the car.

I have the correct oil ready to go and before i put it up on the axle stands, i just wanted to check if its safe for both the car and myself (under the car) to be on the stands or its there anything particular to this model that would stop me from going ahead?

Its a 2003 1.9TDI (red I) A4 Avant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Id put something under the back wheels to stop the car moving while its on the stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I don't think axle stands are the most appropriate items to be using for an oil change. Don't you have ramps instead, it will give you more lift at the front and there'd be less ****ing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 vHOST

i m thinking to do same with my car (vw passat 03 tdi) but i have little problem which came with the car oil sum was broken and fix (not replaced) by seller so i can not drain oil.
    anyway make sure hand break is pulled. as already said put some thing behind back wheel. i think you need 4L oil.
    good luck and let us know....

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Yuppie

i know, they're not ideal by any means.
    i tried to source some ramps but no one i knew had them,
    the alternative is to drive the front of the car off the edge of a patio onto a few lined up blocks which would open up the underneath of the car but i decided against that one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Get an oil extractor . You just run the car for a bit to make sure the oil is warm and runny - then take out the dipstick and put in the tube. The pump creates a vacuum with will suck all the oil out.

Oil change now takes 10mins

PL650-use.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Would that oil extractor get rid of all the cruddy bits that would fall out the sump if you did it the normal way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Dades wrote: »
    Would that oil extractor get rid of all the cruddy bits that would fall out the sump if you did it the normal way?

I suppose it depends on the size of the cruddy bits. The tube has to be thin enough to fit in the dip stick. Ive been meaning to use it and then open the sump plug and check whats there but havnt got around to it. Id assume the oil filter will take care of anything that wasnt sucked out anyway.

One bonus of the extractor is that you can suck all the used oil from the oil filter housing. I took about half a pint out of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You only need to raise the car sufficiently to get under it and drain it.If you've no ramps or concrete blocks try driving it up over a big kerb. When its drained (after running it til warm to make the oil runny and come out better), push it back off the kerb, so its level (dont forget to the drain plug back in !) and fill again til its at the right point on the dipstick. When you get to the min level mark, it might be a good idea to run the engine for a minute to make sure the filter is filled(you did remember the filter yes?). An empty 5 litre container with the side cut out makes a good draining container

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

voxpop wrote: »
    Get an oil extractor . You just run the car for a bit to make sure the oil is warm and runny - then take out the dipstick and put in the tube. The pump creates a vacuum with will suck all the oil out.

Oil change now takes 10mins

PL650-use.gif

Turn off the engine before sucking out the oil btw ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

Assuming the sump guard (plastic cover under engine) is still in place, it will be awkward doing it on your back.
    Get yourself on of the suction extractors and a proper filter cap cup wrench.

Warm up car
    Turn Off
    Remove oil filter
    Suck out oil in filter housing
    Suck out oil through dipstick
    Alltogether you should have 4L approx.
    BTW I would not expect to see crud coming from the sump plug if correct service intervals and modern oils are being used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement