Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

solid fuel stove

• 02-10-2009 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

Lads anyone using a stanley solid fuel stove, have an old stanley firefront in the living room, it has a back boiler that heats water, would like to throw it out and get in stove but plummer tells me my system is messed up and need a fair bit of work to integrate stove with back boiler as they are too powerful to just heat water, they look like a great job though..are the stanleys the best or should i consider some other brand?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

Did exactly that two years ago turfed out old fireplace,sold old firefront (fellas are still mad for them yokes in the buy&sell!!!) threw backboiler on the scrap , put in a stanley ashling. Its a great stove, does 7 rads and hot water in cylinder. There was a fair bit of re plumbing involved and piping up the chimney was a bit awkward but well worth it. Think your plumber sounds like he couldnt be arsed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

well exactly, have asked 2 lads to take a look, the first lad cant be arsed, the 2nd fella says it can be done but it sounded like it would be costly..the old system is convoluted and all wrong of course according to your man...typical! did you put some kind of surround behind the stove when the fireplace was gone, bricks or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

I got the wall plastered and faced it with fernhill stone, turned out good.
    As for the stoves , there are several other brands of stove out there very similar to the stanley, I was told they are all made in the same place but with some changes to the outside panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ipod

hi we fit all stoves and solar heating.here is my friends site we work together.lots of reading.www.feuerraum.de

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Vanderbadger
    I put in a Stanley stove in my mothers old houselast year, its a single storey with a gravity fed system, we had to tear out an old Stanley range and had no problems plumbing in the stove.
    There was a large recess which we partially filled with split blocks and then painted them black. On the front we used those brick slips which are simply stuck on to give the impression of a brick surround, an old bit of oak rough cut for a mantle and bobs your uncle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mooverlive

hi , built granny appartment for folks a numbrer of years ago had a stanley i threw it out with folks , best piece of work i ever did and put in efel stove in its place put in firebird burner to heat rest of house brilliant job , i got so much hassle from stanley ,burners ect trying to seal it to stop fumes was a night mare . i would get it sealed 2 weeks later same story again my advise is think hard about ur options see what else is out there

well have a firebird which does the oil central heating but during the winter would have a fire in the living room anyway so I reckon why not have a stove and make use of it, currently the fire with the firefront is giving out feck all heat and its not heating any rads, it heats water alright so its a bit of a waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

We installed a Stanley Erin in place of a fireplace which did not have a back boiler and was a bit of a waste.
    Had several plumbers look and all say it would be a very complicated job, blah, blah, blah, bulls**t:mad:
    Anyway one guy said no prob. Did the whole lot in two good days.
    Very pleased. Heats the room plus 10 rads running on ash firewood and a little coal.
    I would say that the oil fired range gets the water in the rads up to a higher temp, but then again we do not really load the stove. Bur definitely a good job. Looks nice and you get a good hot water return for little enough fuel burned.

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Hi vanderbadger ,
    I seem to have a similar problem to yours , - A stove is not suitable for my fireplace with back boiler and is a complicated job.

I am thinking of buying a fire-front , probably like the one you already have . - and would like to know if it worked ok for you .

These guys have quoted me for one , its in their catalogue but not sure about it yet - its a 'doras firefront '

http://borustoves.ie/doras.html

Hi vanderbadger ,
    I seem to have a similar problem to yours , - A stove is not suitable for my fireplace with back boiler and is a complicated job.

I am thinking of buying a fire-front , probably like the one you already have . - and would like to know if it worked ok for you .

These guys have quoted me for one , its in their catalogue but not sure about it yet - its a 'doras firefront '

http://borustoves.ie/doras.html

well first off the stanley must be in for about 20 years, originally there was a bad chimney and the room was always smokey,anyway the firefront worked great for that and used to give out great heat, along the way the house was redone and chimney rebuilt, the firefront remained, these days it doesnt give out hardly any heat, not sure whats up with it, maybe bits missing. It certainly owes us nothing anyway, also they are great because you can light a fire and close it up without having to stay around and make sure fire doesnt spark out on floor etc..I hadnt seen that doras thing previously, not bad looking though, I had seen a fireplace insert which is like a small stove that fits into your fireplace, might suit you also, how much they quoting for doras?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I bought a boiler stove from Ebay 2 weeks ago for €700 delivered. It can fit about 6 or 8 timber blocks so its big enough. Plumber fitted it in one day with me giving another day in grunt work ripping out bits and pieces.

Anyway I give it full welly last night (it needed a few fires to season it first) burning spruce, and it had 6 rads. boiling hot, and the entire downstairs is very cosy and warm.

I got a price of €710 for 13m3 of spruce (delivered) and I reckon that will keep me going for 2 winters. Compared to about €600 on oil and €500 on coal + electric for the water the thing is a savage job.

Best thing I ever did since the last best thing I ever did!

I bought a boiler stove from Ebay 2 weeks ago for €700 delivered. It can fit about 6 or 8 timber blocks so its big enough. Plumber fitted it in one day with me giving another day in grunt work ripping out bits and pieces.

Anyway I give it full welly last night (it needed a few fires to season it first) burning spruce, and it had 6 rads. boiling hot, and the entire downstairs is very cosy and warm.

I got a price of €710 for 13m3 of spruce (delivered) and I reckon that will keep me going for 2 winters. Compared to about €600 on oil and €500 on coal + electric for the water the thing is a savage job.

Best thing I ever did since the last best thing I ever did!
    what brand stove is it rainbow?

what brand stove is it rainbow?

Just search ebay.co.uk for JA006B. It came from China and so far it works 100%, its roaring in front of me at moment. You can also just search for boiler stove on ebay.co.uk and you will get different models.

Spruce is good enough to heat the whole house it seems (around 2000ft) so this craic about needing hard wood or coal etc. does not stack up yet. Lets see when the weather gets really cold. Good insulation is paying off too.

its a fair big looking stove alright, whats the build quality like, the Chinese aspect of it would slightly worry me, did you build a surround around stove or anything like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

vanderbadger, like yourself I was searching around for a suitable solid fuel stove this time last year. After much deliberation I settled on a Broseley Hercules 30B and bought it through the stove centre (see ebay.ie) for 1605 euro delivered. Local sellers here in the midlands were asking 2200 - 2400 for the very same stove.
    Stanley don't do one in as big a size but I felt they were a bit overpriced in any case. The 30B is a big stove and will easily do 15-19 rads -there are two smaller versions the 12B and 20B.
    I'm glad I got the biggest one available and its working very well. Now is obviously a good time to buy from the UK

wow just looked that up, thats some output, says it can doo 22 rads on sellers blurb, phaorah do you have oil heating also in case you dont light fire, whats it like on timber etc, does it go thru a fair heap of the stuff

vanderbadger, what size is your room?

My downstairs is approx. 75m2 and I've had to open double doors into one room and the single door into another room when the stove is fully loaded with spruce + it heats about 6 rads and the water. Its not very cold yet and believe it or not I can't wait for the first freezing night this year.

The build quality of the stove from China appears fine, like I've said it been in a few weeks now and no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

Yes I have a dual system with oil and light the stove in the evenings.
    It heats my 17 rads easily although a lot of the time I zone off and just heat the downstairs only. If I am heating the whole lot and using hot water etc.. in the depths of winter I will get through a lot of turf and timber.
    As rainbowdash says you need to consider the size of the room. Mine is 28 ft x 14ft and even so I would open the doors to the hall/stairs and the utility to keep the temp around 20/21C. And the stove is i a built alcove.
    For me the two big advantages are:
    - It's big enough for me probably a little over spec but I would say the manufacturers claims are usually a bit over done and based on burning coal or something - nothing worse than putting in something too small.
    - Because of the boiler size it outputs almost three times as much to the water as the room 22kw v 8 kw. Difficult to find something with this ratio.

I am experimenting with using the stat to control the room temp. If I set the stat around 70 the stove gets much hotter as the pump does not kick in as much. This heats the hot water hotter too. If I set the stat at 50 it pulls the heat away much quicker, at least in theory.

Any comments?

well after alot of tooing and frooooing i finally ordered a stove..picked a charnwood 16b stove, ripped out old fireplace today so gone beyond the point of no return :) slightly scary, i hate ripping out stuff but anyway hopefully it works out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wantolose

we put in a waterford aisling stanley, its a great job, and it even has a hot plate on it, so when its on you can boil the kettle on it, or cook a pot of stew on it, its fab, you really need to shop around and get word of mouth, my brother got one fitted in his house a few months ago, he needed to get a chimney built and change the plumbing, the guys doing it, built a brick surround and put a beam on it for the mantle piece it looks fab, and i dont think it was out of the way money wise:rolleyes:, they have an open fire in the sitting room with no back boiler, seems to be very common here.... open fire no back boiler:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mmoroney

Lads anyone using a stanley solid fuel stove, have an old stanley firefront in the living room, it has a back boiler that heats water, would like to throw it out and get in stove but plummer tells me my system is messed up and need a fair bit of work to integrate stove with back boiler as they are too powerful to just heat water, they look like a great job though..are the stanleys the best or should i consider some other brand?

Hi, I have a stanley Erin back boiler model thats up for grabs if you like. Its only 2 months old. We got it but stupidly didnt realise that double radiators are... yes you guessed it DOUBLE and count as two. So now we have a lovely looking mat black stanley erin that is trying to heat 30 rads. We need to change it for a non back boilder model.

mmoroney wrote: »
    Hi, I have a stanley Erin back boiler model thats up for grabs if you like. Its only 2 months old. We got it but stupidly didnt realise that double radiators are... yes you guessed it DOUBLE and count as two. So now we have a lovely looking mat black stanley erin that is trying to heat 30 rads. We need to change it for a non back boilder model.

feck..ya was all set to buy an erin myself but heard to not so good stories about the stanleys so in the end bought a charnwood, its literally been just fitted and all going well should have its first fire this evening... typical eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mmoroney

feck..ya was all set to buy an erin myself but heard to not so good stories about the stanleys so in the end bought a charnwood, its literally been just fitted and all going well should have its first fire this evening... typical eh :rolleyes:

Ahh not to worry.... Im sure i'll shift it eventually. Im just gutted that I didnt realise about the double rads. Enjoy the first fire.... nothing quite like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

vanderbadger, what size is your room?

My downstairs is approx. 75m2 and I've had to open double doors into one room and the single door into another room when the stove is fully loaded with spruce + it heats about 6 rads and the water. Its not very cold yet and believe it or not I can't wait for the first freezing night this year.

The build quality of the stove from China appears fine, like I've said it been in a few weeks now and no problems.

Hi rainbow... can you give an update, please, on your experience with the wood stove after the serious cold over xmas/new year?

Hi rainbow... can you give an update, please, on your experience with the wood stove after the serious cold over xmas/new year?

Well, after waiting for some real cold I certaily got it! I got a load of Ash from a farmer at the start of December. It is harder to light than spruce but lasts longer, leaves more ash too!

I started to add coal as the weather got colder and finally gave in to herself on Christmas eve and bought oil, although I would have held out in spite. At this point wewere burning coal from 9am-10pm. The stove coul d not keep up with the extreme cold but my house is biggish.

Overall the stove performs fine, no complaints there. I would say that outside of the extreme cold a stove topped up with an oil or gas system is the optimum.

Well, after waiting for some real cold I certaily got it! I got a load of Ash from a farmer at the start of December. It is harder to light than spruce but lasts longer, leaves more ash too!

I started to add coal as the weather got colder and finally gave in to herself on Christmas eve and bought oil, although I would have held out in spite. At this point wewere burning coal from 9am-10pm. The stove coul d not keep up with the extreme cold but my house is biggish.

Overall the stove performs fine, no complaints there. I would say that outside of the extreme cold a stove topped up with an oil or gas system is the optimum.

my stove is up and running now since dec sometime, in my experience so far you need a bit of coal along with timeber to get real heat, boutght a lod of wood, sitka i would say, its grand for keeping fire going especially if you light early in the day but at night when you really want more heast then you need to add some coal, have also found that briquettes seem to give off good heat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 wimbles

Hi Lads!
    I have a Hunter stove installed but fear extra strong CO2 emmissions are coming from it. If only lit for a few hours there is a sooty residue on teh mantle. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO FIX THIS!!! Can anbody HELP??!!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Cheers rainbow... I'm slowly coming around to the fact that it looks like solar and wood stove alone will not get us all the hot water/warm house that we need all year round :(

We may have hang on to our oil boiler/tank as a backup.

Anyone know if its possible to get a bio-diesel home heating oil?

• Advertisement

wimbles wrote: »
    Hi Lads!
    I have a Hunter stove installed but fear extra strong CO2 emmissions are coming from it. If only lit for a few hours there is a sooty residue on teh mantle. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO FIX THIS!!! Can anbody HELP??!!!:confused:

is this a new stove? if so you should talk to the seller and ask them to take a look, most likey it hasnt been fitted correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Cheers rainbow... I'm slowly coming around to the fact that it looks like solar and wood stove alone will not get us all the hot water/warm house that we need all year round :(

We may have hang on to our oil boiler/tank as a backup.

Anyone know if its possible to get a bio-diesel home heating oil?

Hello,

Be interested in hearing as well if its possible to get bio-diesel home heating oil, and whether people have used it in their existing oil boilers? Are modifications needed?
    my stove is up and running now since dec sometime, in my experience so far you need a bit of coal along with timeber to get real heat, boutght a lod of wood, sitka i would say, its grand for keeping fire going especially if you light early in the day but at night when you really want more heast then you need to add some coal, have also found that briquettes seem to give off good heat

Do you have many rads connected off it VanderBadger? We'll be putting in a stove as well, but it wont have a boiler or rads connected - just a room heater as such, so interested in seeing if just timber alone would throw out enough heat. (I know every stove is different like, and room size, etc - but just in general if timber would be enough to throw out good heat)

Also - anyone here got an solid fuel range, a Rayburn or similar - and if so - how is it at heating the radiators? (Sorry - know its slightly off topic, as tisnt really a stove, but I said I'd throw it out there)

Thanks all.

Hello,

Be interested in hearing as well if its possible to get bio-diesel home heating oil, and whether people have used it in their existing oil boilers? Are modifications needed?

Do you have many rads connected off it VanderBadger? We'll be putting in a stove as well, but it wont have a boiler or rads connected - just a room heater as such, so interested in seeing if just timber alone would throw out enough heat. (I know every stove is different like, and room size, etc - but just in general if timber would be enough to throw out good heat)

Also - anyone here got an solid fuel range, a Rayburn or similar - and if so - how is it at heating the radiators? (Sorry - know its slightly off topic, as tisnt really a stove, but I said I'd throw it out there)

Thanks all.

hey
    ya have rads off my one, stove is a charnwood 16b, also ahve oil heating, long story but the house is huge, have the oil heating on every night for about 3 hrs only, light the stove in the evening when home from work, stove is set up only to heat downstairs rads as too many in the full house, burning timber alone will only leave the rads warmish, i think my timber needs a bit more time in the shed but i would think if i burned coal all the time it would easily heat the rads, when stove and boiler on together rads seem to get extremely warm so i think they complement each other, its hard to say how well the stove works on the rads as boiler is cutting in every evening anyway, the stove shop recommend all 4 outlets on back of stove be plummed, i told the plummer to do this but of course he didnt so only 2 are plummed and 2 are blocked off, not sure if it has a reall effect on output

I think you could be right. Thanks! I'll look into it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 the plumber

hi your current heating system is a dual system but your back boilier is on a direct system (it only heats your hot water) and your oil heating does rads and hot water which is probly a sealed system too. which would have to changed if you were puting in a stove you would also have to change your hot tank ..k if your fire place is beside your hot press it would take 2 day at max to do the job.. ps make sure who ever does the job makes the system open vented they are a lot of cowbays out there lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 the plumber

wimbles wrote: »
    Hi Lads!
    hi your it can be 1 of 2 things your dorr or ur flue is leaking. a word of advise you should buy an co2 alarm for were the stove is fitted

• Advertisement

Thanks Plumber :cool: Co2 guage is a good idea!!

Advertisement