Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some info on 1.oL Ibizas

• 02-10-2009 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭

Right guys.
    My son is coming to 18 Next month and the time has come for his own wheels.

We were thinking on a SEAT Ibiza 1.0L. Around 2001/2002.

One of his buddies has a 97/98 polo 1.L and says while it is ok on his own, if he brings his brother with him it is dead as a maggot.
    While I do realise a 1.0 is no race car I do thing it is ok as a first car.

So,
    Question is this,

Is there a difference between the 98 model and the 00/02 model engines?
    could someone post a link to specs/Performance of (both if different ) engine (s)

Are these a good car?
    Should we be looking at something else?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

The newer model started in 03 which was the first to have VAG input AFAIK, before that they based on FIATs .. enough said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

No, I had a 97 for a while and it was definitely VAG based, right down to most of the parts having a VW stamped on them, a few had the Audi logo too.

They're not a terrible car, but they are very heavy for that 1ltr engine. Although I did manage to get 5 people in it and drive Dublin to Wexford over the Wicklow mountains, and in total it ended up being a nearly 6 hour drive (bank holiday friday, kildare into dublin, various places there to pick people up, then to wexford), and it handled it no problem. They're pretty solid too, and safe with airbags, abs etc. They're not unreliable, but not exceptionally reliable either.

Thinking back though, I'd have been much better off with a Fiesta though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

had a 99 5 door one for my own first car, was grand.

i drove it before from dundalk to the RDS with 5 people and it was fine and i used to drive to dublin at least once a week in it too, was always grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They are slow but not a bad car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Get a fiesta, I've driven both

Much better engine,handling,etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

VERY Slow (maybe a good thing for an 18 yr old once he doesnt try overtake)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jackncoke wrote: »
    Get a fiesta, I've driven both

Much better engine,handling,etc

+1, the fiesta has to be the one of the best cars in that price range/class. Great engine, they're cheap and reliable. You can't get much better really. It has to be the 1.25 Zetec though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

+1, the fiesta has to be the one of the best cars in that price range/class. Great engine, they're cheap and reliable. You can't get much better really. It has to be the 1.25 Zetec though!

precisely. dont get the 1.3, its as old as the hills

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

My first car was a '96 1043cc Seat Ibiza with a whopping 43bhp! Good car but the 0-60mph time is measured with a calendar rather than a stopwatch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

a 1.25 fiesta zetec would be much better....

forget the seat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

ytareh wrote: »
    VERY Slow (maybe a good thing for an 18 yr old once he doesnt try overtake)

This is a very important point.

You think that giving a slow car to an 18 year old is a good thing. Maybe not. Overtaking even very slow moving cars can become very dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

OK,
    Point taken guys
    Thanks for the replies
    Change of direction now.
    New post for that i guess. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

zod wrote: »
    The newer model started in 03 which was the first to have VAG input AFAIK, before that they based on FIATs .. enough said.

You're about 10 years off there! The ibiza which lasted from 93 to 02 was based on the same platform as the mk3 polo. The 1.0L engine is the same as the polo

I had one for two years as my first car and it was fine by all accounts. Not fast though, at all! Overtaking was a fair auld job on anything but long straight roads but at least the fuel economy was pretty good. Gave about 40mpg overall.

A 1.25 fiesta would be much faster alright but thats certainly not the priority with an 18 year old. Doubt theres any difference between a 99 and a 01/02 model in terms of the 1.0L engine

Advertisement