Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just for the sake of salt

Options
  • 02-10-2009 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

I tell you what lads, it's absolutely laughable the way this place is run. Yes yes here come the mods... "Well if you don't like it..." Where do you get so many socks to ram down so many throats. Anyway I'll take this as typing practise since there's some mod about to pounce on this too I suppose.

You put up this site for people to talk and then you slame them down when you don't like it. When you open a site like this you accept the responsibility for it and to the people that use it. You can't simply discriminate because you don't like what they write and hide behind "it's privately owned" because you've opened it to the public, therefore you are responsible to the public. If you discriminate then...it's only a matter of time?

Yes guess what, I was banned for having an opinion that contradicted the moderator and a dublinese approach to writing. Well I did think I could express what I was thinking my way but wooooa I was well wrong hehe. I did use "Foff" and something like "fkucing" and for that my lengthy verbose post/point of view was completely disregarded, removed and I was banned. Nothing of what I wrote mattered coz I used the F word. (Can we talk about Gordon Ramsey or would the server blow up?)
    I did offer to tone down my unappreciated Dublinese and appreciate the caution but... ehhh nooo coz the post still contradicts the moderator's small minded and arogant view.

So I asked where can I go for arbitration, which I suspected would be pointless and he sent me a link to this thread. I did suspect that it would be a band of ops and mods with their arms well linked together like a bunch of Polish bouncers at a cheap night club.
    Well I never never never expected to see so much of the same bovine soilage. (bovine soilage! see! I can put on a pretentious D4 front and drop the Dublinese when asked, but you boys don't ask, you ban!). As the mod Trojan sez "it gives me the greatest pleasure to ban!". That sez it all really doesn't it. People come to a forum

S: (n) forum (a public meeting or assembly for open discussion)

to voice their thoughts in good faith but the Ops here shout you down. And if anyone else stands up for the oppressed then they get shouted down too. Pretty poor show really isn't it. And then we get the same ol' line "rules and regulations" and "if you don't like it" yada yada.
    Shame we can't get you boys into the Dail debates.

Now here's the thing. If there are boys at the top that do think a forum is for good and sometimes heated debate on a topic and would like to support that then I'd like to motion that RuggieBear be removed as moderator from the Rugby forum.
    I was banned and muted on petty grounds. I did try and reason with him 1 to 1 but he hides behind rules and escape clauses and all the while my opinion is stiffled.
    To be honest and fair to other forum users I think he lacks the maturity and intelligence (no offence) to moderate the opinions of others. Leaving him in control of what others may and may not write will result in a completely pointless forum whereby the only opinion that will be posted are variations of his own.

Ban away there boys. You've lost a valuable contribution from someone who took the time to give something to your site. Don't worry about me. I certainly don't need a membership in a place that shows me only posts filtered by RuggieBear. Sure that's only a form of propaganda. But looking at this "Help Desk" thread I can see that the situation is rampant all over boards.ie.

Don't talk to me about reading rules. It's a forum! When it's called a forum I know what it's about, be courteous and that's that. (uh it's called boards.ie (d4 accent required))

After this I think I'll go start my own forum for people that feel like me. I think I'll call it something like BackwardIreland since I really don't get what's going on here.

Ban away boys, ban away. Like kids yis are.

Ray.

LOL I got banned for being a Dubliner and writing like a Dubliner. Oh but hey, check this out, he reduced it to only a week! lmfao (oops am I allowed use f in lmfao?)

I do wonder if the rules you write on your forum over rule the law? What do you think? ;0)

Good luck boys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Here's the original post which i deleted and banned the user for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

RuggieBear wrote: »

Invalid Post specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Also useful to post the entire thread for context.
    The reason for banning. I think it was "Personal attack" or something ambiguous like that?
    Your resulting actions and proper explanation for which.
    And overall result.
    I'm also interested to note how many other people where so easily banned in recent times.

And overall the the opinion of other ops and members as to whether or not the reaction of the mod was reasonable.

RuggieBear wrote: »

Oh right everything I do now is moderated. Wow I really get a free speech argument here don't I?! Yeah right!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That's correct, all posts on this forum are premoderated, whether they are posted by mods or users.

As far as I see it looks like you were banned for personal abuse but I'm not sure if you were banned for touting judging by the link (which is deleted so you can't see it, sorry, but if you want me to send you a copy of what you wrote just ask).

Touting is not allowed on many, if not all, boards on this website by the way.

Gordon wrote: »
    That's correct, all posts on this forum are premoderated, whether they are posted by mods or users.

As far as I see it looks like you were banned for personal abuse but I'm not sure if you were banned for touting judging by the link (which is deleted so you can't see it, sorry, but if you want me to send you a copy of what you wrote just ask).

Touting is not allowed on many, if not all, boards on this website by the way.

Well there was no mention of touting in the ban. As far as I can gather I mentioned I had tickets but was clear that I was unsure of what I'll do with them. I'm considering gifting them amongst other things, but I keep getting swayed by the desires of other rugby fans. However the likes of RuggieBear puts me off giving it to other Rugby fans because the Leinster fan club is well known for it's fair share of knobs and I wouldn't give up the tickets to one of them. I did though argue that making a few quid, or "money for a pint" as I put it is fair enough since acceptably Ticket Master make their millions from it. So no I was not touting. I used "Foff" and regarded the mods that threatened to ban with great satisfaction as despots.

foff & despots - that was my explaination for personal abuse.

I'll pm my post to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

hi Gordon, the op was banned for personal abuse.

Ah right, sorry, I must have misunderstood the situation, the ban was for personal abuse.

Reading the posts you sent me Bosshog, the posts you posted, you do seem rather abusive. Abusive posting isn't something that I personally value, why post something abusive when you.. don't have to?

Can you clarify abusive? Seems like I'm just wrong, lets find an angle and make him wrong.
    I did write RuggieBear that if my Dublinese is too harsh I can tone it down. Unfortunately I started out thinking I could express myself and my thoughts and be myself when arguing a point. I realise that Dublin expression is a little course although I'm not sure why since I've lived with it all my life. I didn't think being politicly correct mattered when representing one's own opinion in a public forum. I didn't think I had to play down to American standards of let's pretend we're all really so politically correct.

As I said I didn't publicly abuse anyone. I simply didn't agree with the mod and I articulated it in my own common and colourful way. Like seriously how do you people survive in the real world when someone in a pub shouts "That was a great f***ing goal!"? Do you go tantrum throwing with the barman for a ban? Are you keeping in touch with the world here? This isn't a letter to Biffo for a raise ya know, it's my point of view which again I argue should not be stiffled in a public forum. Not only should it not be stiffled but you should protect my right to voice my opinion.

I didn't openly attack or "personally abuse" anyone.

Tell me this though, is there anything you agree with that I wrote. And is there justification to ban my words, the true point of my post, or is the mod just using petty angles to object to my post because he doesn't agree?

But here's the thing... You Gordon publicly announce that I'm being abusive but yet the public members are not allowed to see why and form their own opinion. So you incriminate me with your opinion because you control the situation. That's the reference to the despot behaviour I mentioned. I stand by it. This is the blatant abuse of power on the site which ultimately renders the forum pointless.

I rest my case. If you want to rubbish the site then keep on. If you want a forum of open discussion then enforce that.

Please clarify how I've been abusive? Or is straight talking abusive these days?

Bosshogg wrote: »
    Please clarify how I've been abusive?
    Bosshogg wrote: »
    However the likes of RuggieBear puts me off giving it to other Rugby fans because the Leinster fan club is well known for it's fair share of knobs and I wouldn't give up the tickets to one of them.

There you go.

There you go.

As I said originally " I was banned on petty grounds" thank you for clarifying that.

• Advertisement

I've clarified that you have been abusive and needlessly foul-mouthed on this thread.

I've clarified that you have been abusive and needlessly foul-mouthed on this thread.

Only perhaps in a completely subjective manner as expected. Also not pointing out if it warranted a ban or a subtle "tone it down" request.

All the while the fact remains my post was muted and you boys run amok with the ridiculas filtering.

You've ignored, like the other fella, all my other comments and questions and honed in a little subjective nit pick. What seems to bother you (when it suits you I'm sure) wouldn't ever come up on my radar, probably because I respect and value the opinion of others. And I welcome all sorts of characters with a non judgemental and hopefully understandable level of respect.

What's the world coming to when I have to say only what you'll allow and in the tone that you dictate?

The site's a farce. What a shame.

Advertisement