Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It pays to be a beggar

• 02-10-2009 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

At lunchtime today in Insomnia cafe in Ballsbridge (Dublin) the beggar who sits outside came in to (what I assume) was to change his mornings earnings into notes.

The first thing I noticed about him were his expensive runners and tracksuit... and then I noticed the massive pile of coins. After counting it the girl in Insomnia gave him €65.

Yeppers, €65 for a mornings work! If the guy is organised and is getting the dole as well, that's a lot of money each week, i.e. if he only "works" mornings and claims the dole, that could be €525 cash for 5 days work.

Not bad!

I don't really have any issue with people begging (we can all individually decide to give them change or not), but I thought it was interesting to see just how much they might be earning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Ive seen that in the centra on the quays at the ha'penny bridge.

Massive amount of coins being converted into notes in dat convert your coins into notes machine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

So I could be making this money, and all I have to do is sleep and live on the freezing cold streets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

So I could be making this money, and all I have to do is sleep and live on the freezing cold streets?

He may not actually sleep on the streets. For all we know he is renting somewhere or lives in a council house or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Title should be pays to beg, not to be homeless...

Don't you need an address for the dole?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

AARRRGH wrote: »
    He may not actually sleep on the streets. For all we know he is renting somewhere or lives in a council house or whatever.

Then he's not homeless, he's just a begger.

• Advertisement

Louise~ wrote: »
    Title should be pays to beg, not to be homeless...
    Then he's not homeless, he's just a begger.

Yeah, good point, wasn't thinking when I wrote it. Will attempt to change now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

There's a kid outside M and S on Henry St.
    He comes complete with muck smeared on his face.
    He pretends to be asleep with the head down and the cup out.
    Anytime a coin gets thrown into the cup you can see him open one eye to check what it was.
    The old dears who frequent M and S lap it up like the salavating blue rinse brain donors that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Yeah, good point, wasn't thinking when I wrote it. Will attempt to change now...

No worries, we know what you meant but this being After Hours it's our job to jump on your mistake and gloat...

*gloat*

Louise~ wrote: »
    No worries, we know what you meant but this being After Hours it's our job to jump on your mistake and gloat...

*gloat*

Haha yeah...

mathie wrote: »
    There's a kid outside M and S on Henry St.
    He comes complete with muck smeared on his face.
    He pretends to be asleep with the head down and the cup out.
    Anytime a coin gets thrown into the cup you can see him open one eye to check what it was.
    The old dears who frequent M and S lap it up like the salavating blue rinse brain donors that they are.

The obese woman outside M&S on Grafton Street bugs me. She says - loudly and aggressivily - I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE.

I'm so tempted to advise her to spend less on food and more on housing/education to help get herself out of her rut...

That'd just be cruel though. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The obese woman outside M&S on Grafton Street bugs me. She says - loudly and aggressivily - I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE.

I'm so tempted to advise her to spend less on food and more on housing/education to help get herself out of her rut...

That'd just be cruel though. :pac:

I told her to try exercise and a proper controlled diet. She didn't seem impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I NEVER GIVE MONEY TO THEM....
    alright if they do somthing... even a human statue ffs but they just sit there...

at least look for a job or put effort into somthing ou fucing wasters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Ssssshhhhhhhhhh,

if the govt deregulate it there will be loads of foreign nationals and firemen and postmen doing it part time and then we will have a massive protest on our hands

*Oh too late the foreign nationals are at it already!

Mousey- wrote: »
    I NEVER GIVE MONEY TO THEM....
    alright if they do somthing... even a human statue ffs but they just sit there...

at least look for a job or put effort into somthing ou fucing wasters

Almost impossible to get a job if you've no fixed abode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Almost impossible to get a job if you've no fixed abode.
    That's blatant discrimination of circus folk.

Aidric wrote: »
    That's blatant discrimination of circus folk.

Justifiably so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

homeless people can sign up at a hospital to claim welfare payments? true/false?

edit: http://www.homelessdublin.org/details.asp?id=LP90

point being, they can receive payment without a fixed abode.

Advertisement