Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightwish

• 02-10-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I`ll be perfectly honest, I don`t really listen to much heavy metal music, but I heard a few tracks from a band called Nightwish, and thought that they were exceptional (one song was called Nemo and and there was an `interesting` cover of Walkng In The Air!). I was rifling through their albums at my local HMV, and they have a lot of stuff out. So, where do you think would be the best place to start? Sorry for being such a n00b.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

I used to be a nightwish fan, but they went down hill after a few albums, and their new singer aint the best!! but I still like Oceanborn and Wishmaster, So I would deffo start off with these two albums! some really good Original song writing and killer riffs. Nowadays them type of bands are two a penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think Oceanborn would be a great place to start, then work from there. Most of their albums are very good, so you can't really go wrong.

Grizzlyman is kind of right in that the whole gothic metal band with female vocals is very common, and rather overdone, but honestly, Nightwish are a cut above the competition by quite a margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

I love Nightwish they're quite orchestral. I love the whole fantasy/Goth element to their stuff. Their cover of ''Walking In The Air'' was really unusual! I would love to sing for a band like Nightwish! If only!

The mentioned album Is a great place to start!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd go with Oceanborn aswell, some great tracks on it. Not mad on their vocals but instumentally they are somehting else, great symphonic metal

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Thanks to all of you! Oceanborn it is then...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I`ll be perfectly honest, I don`t really listen to much heavy metal music, but I heard a few tracks from a band called Nightwish, and thought that they were exceptional (one song was called Nemo and and there was an `interesting` cover of Walkng In The Air!). I was rifling through their albums at my local HMV, and they have a lot of stuff out. So, where do you think would be the best place to start? Sorry for being such a n00b.
    Nightwish are one of my favourite bands. It sounds like a bit of a cliché but I think Tuomas Holopainen is a genius. They are one of very few bands who's songs can evoke all sorts of emotions. Happiness, sadness, anger, joy, often all in the same song :). Anyone thinking that having songs over 8 minutes long might be boring should listen to some of the following:

As for where to start, Walking in The Air is on Oceanborn so that might be the best to begin with. In my opinion all of their albums are well worth getting. Angels Fall First is probably the weakest as there's no Marco but Tutankhamen and Nymphomaniac Fantasia are worth a listen off of it.

As you'll soon see, they've done a few other covers but you can discover them for yourself ;).
    GrizzlyMan wrote:
    I used to be a nightwish fan, but they went down hill after a few albums
    Could you elaborate on that? When exactly did they go downhill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

malice_ wrote: »

Could you elaborate on that? When exactly did they go downhill?
    When tarja left IMO

Max Power1 wrote: »
    When tarja left IMO
    Seriously? You think Dark Passion Play is an example of them going downhll?

Tuomas is the driving force behind Nightwish. Any of the other band members are replaceable. Tarja has a fantastic voice but it tended to dominate the music more than Anette's. I think Anette's vocals fit the band more and she certainly comes across as less of a diva in interviews and concerts than Tarja.

Seriously? You think Dark Passion Play is an example of them going downhll?

Tuomas is the driving force behind Nightwish. Any of the other band members are replaceable. Tarja has a fantastic voice but it tended to dominate the music more than Anette's. I think Anette's vocals fit the band more and she certainly comes across as less of a diva in interviews and concerts than Tarja.
    the reason I liked nightwish was Tarja's vocals, Annette just doesnt have the same vocal power IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I like them both. Saw them live with Anette, great gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I think if you're new to metal then Oceanborn isn't the best one to start off with, since it has that raw power-metal feel to it. It's like being thrown in the deep end. I would have suggested Once for sure, but since all their albums are pure quality, it doesn't really matter where you start, as long as it's not Angels Fall First...:pac:

Max Power1 wrote: »
    the reason I liked nightwish was Tarja's vocals, Annette just doesnt have the same vocal power IMHO
    I agree with you there but if the vocals the only the to grab you then there's not a lot I can do :). Out of curiosity have you listened to Tarja's solo stuff?
    it doesn't really matter where you start, as long as it's not Angels Fall First...:pac:
    Ah now that's not fair. It's not a brilliant album soundwise and the lyrics can be a bit cringeworthy but it's not that bad!

Youtube has my two favourite songs off that album so I guess others can make their own minds up:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Out of curiosity have you listened to Tarja's solo stuff?
    Nah - i'm not really into that kind of music anymore tbh

Hey, I remember that thread! Pity it didn't really take off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Could you elaborate on that? When exactly did they go downhill?[/quote]

Not that i want to get into a nightwish debate, but to answer your question i lost interest when once was released, they just didnt seem new and exciting anymore! and as for Tarja's solo stuff I would rather the new Nightwish stuff any day over it. But i really wouldnt be a huge fan of that genre! But very talented musicians none the less.

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Not that i want to get into a nightwish debate, but to answer your question i lost interest when once was released, they just didnt seem new and exciting anymore! and as for Tarja's solo stuff I would rather the new Nightwish stuff any day over it. But i really wouldnt be a huge fan of that genre! But very talented musicians none the less.
    Ah it's only a light-hearted debate, I hope nobody is getting offended! Your viewpoint is obviously quite different to mine since I only got into Nightwish when Once was already released so to me that album was always going to be new and exciting :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I didn't mean to insinuate that AFF was a bad album as such, just the worst album for a beginner to start off on. I think Beauty and the Beast, Elvenpath and Tutankhamen would be the best songs on that one for me.

Anyone hear about how Michael Nyman refused to let them release a cover of his song The Heart Asks for Pleasure First?

I don't understand how he can't feel humbled and be open-minded enough to at least appreciate the genuine musicianship that went into this beautiful adaption of his song. To not like it is one thing but to actually refuse its release is very insulting and arrogant in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I was in Helsinki 2 weeks ago at their end of tour gig in Hartwall Areena. They played their version of The Heart Asks Pleasure First as the outro. It was beautiful. I recall that 2 years ago Tuomas announced that Michael Nyman hated their version and that they couldnt put it on the album, I was gutted. I even asked him in person if they'd ever perform it and he said that it was unlikely. Thankfully it has been played, albeit as an outro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

I had to do a power point project on any topic for my course i did a few months back and i did it part of it on nightwish and tarja it was about how having a diva attitude can effect the life of the band. it was not all about nightwish had other bands mentioned aswell.

saw them in vicar street last year best gig i been to in ages hope they come back again. never saw the band live with tarja as their singer but i have a few concerts on dvd with tarja . i think the last album is great album. kind of got into the band by chance as i was at a amidne gig and within temptation supported them and kind of got into this kind of music and my mate gave me a listen to nigthwish and been hooked ever since .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

i dunno their cover of the floyds "high hopes" is practically blasphemy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, and I`ve been listening to Oceanborn on repeat since yesterday afternoon now! I`ll probably just get the albums in order of release from here on in. Thanks again, I always get struck by terrible indeciveness when getting into an established band.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I don't understand how he can't feel humbled and be open-minded enough to at least appreciate the genuine musicianship that went into this beautiful adaption of his song. To not like it is one thing but to actually refuse its release is very insulting and arrogant in my opinion.

Michael Nyman is a curmudgeon. A well known one at that!

Also the band wont be touring for approx another 2 years. I think there was something like 187 dates on the last tour. I was at 6! I'm searching for something to fill the gaping hole in my diary for the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    I used to be a nightwish fan, but they went down hill after a few albums, and their new singer aint the best!! but I still like Oceanborn and Wishmaster, So I would deffo start off with these two albums! some really good Original song writing and killer riffs. Nowadays them type of bands are two a penny.

Those albums are probably the best Nightwish albums. 'Once' was decent enough, but was ruined on some songs but that terrible nu metal guitar sound they had on that album. I also agree with you about bands like Nightwish being two a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

I have been a fan of Nightwish since the realese of the Angels Fall First Album, came across them by accident on holidays in 96-97.

IMO any album will blow you away, I could never advise a best since they are all so, I wouldn't say different to each other, but have different themes, and each one grows in different ways.

Anette maybe not as powerful, But shes still amazing for her style. There is a huge difference in the absence of Tarja but exploring a new route with a new style singer I think was a fantastic Idea,, otherwise we would have people saying *This has done before* on any new albums brought out.

I love these guys, and always will.

P.s The gig in vicar street was by far my fav gigs of all time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭drawnacrol

I love Nightwish, been listening to them for around 6 years now,one of my favourite bands

Saw them this year at graspop,they were amazing, the pyrotechnics gave them a larger than life apperance.

When I met Tuomas he was really odd though but still signed some autographs and answered some of my questions

drawnacrol wrote: »
    When I met Tuomas he was really odd though but still signed some autographs and answered some of my questions
    Have you seen the End of Innocence DVD from 2003? He comes across as a bit odd in that too. Then again, if he has to be a bit odd to produce music as high quality as he does then I hope he stays that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭drawnacrol

Have you seen the End of Innocence DVD from 2003? He comes across as a bit odd in that too. Then again, if he has to be a bit odd to produce music as high quality as he does then I hope he stays that way!

Yeah I love that DVD, must watch it again, yeah the end part where he gets very emotional explains how he writes all the music and lyrics, its ironic how he is able to write albums and songs about how he is uninspired and cannot find inspiration. I said I loved his music and some general fan talk and he walked away then came back about a minute later and said "thank you" then walked away again.

What everyones favorite Nightwish song???
    Mine is Wishmaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

I stopped listening once Tarja left. her replacement is Sh**e.
    I do how ever have a snake named after Tarja haha.

• Advertisement

drawnacrol wrote: »
    What everyones favorite Nightwish song???
    Mine is Wishmaster
    For me it's a toss up between Ghost Love Score and Beauty of The Beast.

Advertisement