Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Put your questions to John O' Shea of Republic of Ireland and Manchester Utd

• 02-10-2009 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hey there

VERY short notice on this but just been offered an interview/Q&A with John O Shea, Republic of Ireland and Manchester Utd Star next Monday.

This is similar to the recent Q&A with Damien Duff

Stick your questions below and I'll see what I can do!

Cheers

Darragh

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Excellent stuff!

My question: "What do you think is your strongest position in the back four?"

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Who do you think the most under-rated player at united is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

What is the single greatest aspect of playing for Manchester Utd and Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Did you ever consider leaving United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

how does it feel to have become first choice RB at the club?
    Did you ever believe you could shake the jack of all trades perception people had of you?

And also how did you become such a legend? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Of players currently available for selection (including yourself), what is the Irish National sides strongest back four?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Awesome stuff.

My question - What exactly went through your head when you scored the 4th goal in United's infamous 4-2 win over Arsenal at Highbury?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Which goal did you prefer, the chip at Highbury in the 4-2 victory a few years ago or THAT goal at Anfield ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Do you or any of your team mates actually rate Nani as a footballer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

How awesome was it to nutmeg Figo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What are you prouder of; numerous league titles and a champions league win or nuts on Figo?

Edit: Necronomicon just beat me to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Where do you think Ipswich will finish in the Championship this season?

And if you are feeling ballsy!

Was there any truth in the Will Young rumours?

Is Nani as bad at being a person as he is at being a footballer?

What team would you like to see Ireland be drawn against in the qualifiers?

Nani tw@ footballer bad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Is Fletcher actually Feguson's illegitimate son?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

I note that you have played on right side and left side, and look comfortable on either side. I note also that you have 2 good feet, not many players can boast that these days. I recall one day you were signing autographs and you appear to be naturally left handed, as you were signing with your left hand.
    Am I correct in saying that ?
    Which side do you prefer palying, right or left ?

Secman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

A bit cheeky but here goes

Give us a list of all the players that Ferguson would sell before he got to you. (I suppose that would only work if for some reason UTD had to sell 8/10 players)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City rivals Manchester City have made a bit of resurgence over the past 12 months. Is it something United are conscious of given the monopoly you have enjoyed over the past 20 years or so?

Do you see Manchester City posing any threat to United in the forseeable future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Do you think maybe we could vote on which questions to use, so that it's a better interview than the Duff one.

All these Nani questions, although a bit of a laugh are fairly irrelevent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If you had to choose 1 manager from Trapatoni/Ferguson in a 1 off game to save your life who would you choose.(neither manager will be told your answer):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

How's your fantasy football team doing and did you buy yourself?

When the time is close to hanging up your boots,do you harbour any desire to come home for a season and play for Waterford United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Given the choice between another CL winners medal next May or a last 16 spot at the WC in South Africa, which would you choose?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Do you think maybe we could vote on which questions to use, so that it's a better interview than the Duff one.
    Or maybe the mods could help Darragh select which questions to use, there were a lot of silly ones for the Duff interview.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Which players would you like to see in a future Irish squad who arent currently in it ?

At united which youth players are you most impressed by?

Are there any attacking players in particular you dislike facing?

who was your footballing Hero when you were a kid?

and my Adrian Mutu if you need to lighten the mood question for this time :D is:

Whats his opinion on the Utd fans new take on the old Ronaldo song? He plays on the left, he plays on the right, that Johnnie boy, makes ronaldo look shoite

or

Is it true that Ronaldo was winking at you after he got Rooney sent off for England as you put him up to it?

All these Nani questions, although a bit of a laugh are fairly irrelevent.
    Maybe you're right. Just say: "That Nani's a bit of a knob, isn't he?" and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

What do you think is going to happen at Utd when Ferguson leaves?

Did you ever seriously consider moving to the Italian or Spainish leagues?

What's your biggest regret professionally?

Have you any ideas what you will do after you retire from playing?

Who is the weirdest footballer you have met?

Do you know of any professional footballers who play fantasy football?
    Do you play fantasy football?

What's your opinion on NAMA?

Is it true that you have blahs (a Waterford speciality) imported by special courier to Manchester on a regular basis?

Have you introduced any of the Utd squad to the delights of Gaelic football and hurling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

How does it feel to nutmeg Luis Figo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Mr O Shea. Do you play soccer games on the Xbox/ Ps3/ PC on your days off and if so, which series do you prefer; Pro Evolution or FIFA and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

is it true you turned down both liverpool and celtic to sign for united and if so, what were the reasons?

Are the shops/nightlife in waterfohd really better than manchester, or was it all a big con for the radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Or maybe the mods could help Darragh select which questions to use, there were a lot of silly ones for the Duff interview.

Yep, I'm happy for that, considering it will be a ten to fifteen minute interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Do you feel that united are firmly #2 in the world behind barca after the defeat in the CL final last season and how much of the gloss of last season did that defeat take off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If you weren;t playing footy what would you end up doing?

Can you see yourself coaching afterwards?

Do you watch the reserve games at all and any players you have noticed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Serious question:
    Was there any player you tried to imitate growing up? If so who (obviously)?

Joke question:
    Have you ever actually marched down a wing and if so did it result in you scoring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

to help Darragh out.

could people avoid asking stupid nonsensical questions.

It will help Darragh choosing questions and might help him being banned from talking to any of the irish squad in the future for talking utter rubbish.

good lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hey John...It's been many years since we used to hang around street corners in Rockenham and The Orchard. Many congrats on everything youve achieved lad.

My question - Have you given much thought to what happens after your playing career ends? A coaching role perhaps? I can see you being with United for many a year to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

How did it feel when you nutmegged Figo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

You have played in every position on the pitch for Manchester United. Which was your favourite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

ntlbell wrote: »
    to help Darragh out.

could people avoid asking stupid nonsensical questions.

It will help Darragh choosing questions and might help him being banned from talking to any of the irish squad in the future for talking utter rubbish.

good lads.

Yup, that should include all the Nani questions too. What do you expect him to say? "Nah he's a shíte footballer and doesn't deserve his place on the 1st team"?

My questions:

Who's the toughest opponent you ever had the job of marking when playing for United?

You have the honour of playing in nearly every position at the club, from goalie to across the midfield. Had you always found it easy to adapt to other positions from a young age, or did Alex Ferguson play a major role in grooming you to be more versatile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

My actual question:

Was there a time when you felt that your versatility was hindering you rather than helping you? Was it difficult to work on establishing yourself in one position when you were being shifted from left back, to centre back, to midfield?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Excellent stuff once again, Darragh. You get better guests than the Late Late. ;)

Some questions I'd like put to him...

- You looked like you surprised even yourself with that great lob in the 4-2 victory over Arsenal at Highbury a few years ago. What are your memories of that goal?

- What are your memories of having to play in goal against Spurs a few seasons back and did you give Robbie Keane some stick about stopping him from scoring?

- What were your thoughts on Cristiano Ronaldo leaving the club and how would you feel about possibly having to play against him in the Champions League?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

When you nutmegged Figo....

oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Are you aware how much you are adored by Manchester United fans?

(Thats a serious question, i would like to know if footballers, especially a modest player like JOS, know how highly their fans think of them)

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Are you aware how much you are adored by Manchester United fans?

(Thats a serious question, i would like to know if footballers, especially a modest player like JOS, know how highly their fans think of them)
    That's a seriously gay question. Flattery will get you nowhere as an interviewer. Plus, as a United fan, when it comes to players, my philosophy is "treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Do you watch MOTD?

How harshly do you take pundit criticism?

What game do you feel you've played your best either Ireland or United or both?

If you were going to be sold, what would be the preferred club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

do you ever get sick of people asking about that time you nutmegged figo?

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What's you're favourite icecream? :rolleyes:

Who's been most influential on United's success, Ryan giggs or Paul scholes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Would you consider playing for Waterford United when your days in the Premiership are over?

Do you have any interest in the League of Ireland and do you look out for Waterford's results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

What do you like to do in your downtime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Was there ever a stage at United when you thought about leaving when out of favour a few years ago?

• Advertisement
Advertisement