Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Put your questions to John O' Shea of Republic of Ireland and Manchester Utd

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Is it possible for it to get much better for you at UTD than it is now.

You are doing great at the moment by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Have you ever gone on to a Manchester United internet forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Do you like fishsticks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

who is worse, you or kilbane?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

who is worse, you or kilbane?

And there was me thinking my question was stupid :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Whats it like to play in a Derby and which do you think are bigger games, against City or against Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

how did you feel going in nets and what was it like saving an effort from robbie keane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

How highly rated is Ryan Giggs in the dressing room and what sort of an atmosphere does he create in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gillington wrote: »
    Whats it like to play in a Derby and which do you think are bigger games, against City or against Liverpool?

And more importantly, how the fuck did you miss that sitter from a yard in the last derby at Maine Road back in 2003?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Hey John,

When Scholes, Giggs and Neville retire- names which seem almost synomynous with the united team and even late in their careers they still play with the same pride in the jersey as when their careers started. How do you feel their losses will affect the team? How do you feel your role will then change as one of the more experienced played in the squad, and do you think you'll be able to play into your mid 30's with as much passion as said players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Do you have any interest of going into management when you do retire? If so, which other United players would you like to have in your backroom staff?

Who's a better manager, Trap or SAF? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

who's longest in the shower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Would you consider playing for Waterford United when your days in the Premiership are over?

Do you have any interest in the League of Ireland and do you look out for Waterford's results?

Read back Xavi, you just got nutmegged.:pac:

I presume if it comes to a mod vote, I'm up then.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Whos your best friend in football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

curry-muff wrote: »
    And there was me thinking my question was stupid :rolleyes:

your question was stupid;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

How on earth did you manage to hoodwink the most successful manager in english football history into giving you more than 350 games?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

Im really looking forward to reading this. My Q's are

What away ground has the best atmosphere in the premiership and he looks forward to playing most?

Why does he think Waterford has produced so many good footballers?

Does he think central midfield will ever be a position for him at Ireland or Utd?

How does his fiancee feel about the WAG lifestyle? (lighthearted one)

Has he considered now settling on a goal celebration as he always looks really shocked when he scores?

Is the Champions League music still inspiring when lining out for a game?

Did he get stick from his mates for been on the cover of This is football 2003?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Pro evo or FIFA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

How highly would you rate captaining United against Birmingham in your list of footballing achievements?

Do you feel Wayne Rooney has the potential to be truly recognised as "the white Pele"?

What stadium across Britain and Europe is the most exciting to play in? (not including Old Trafford).

Oh yeah and tell him thanks for scoring against Stoke. It saved me from an awful score in Football Fantasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Probably been asked already but

What do you feel is your best position ?

Have you ever come close to leaving Manchester United?

Can you see yourself ever playing for Waterford United later on in your career?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

orourkeda wrote: »
    How on earth did you manage to hoodwink the most successful manager in english football history into giving you more than 350 games?

lrg-242-picard-facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ask him what his favourite position is?

for the second question ask him something about football.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

Will he buy me a house with some of his pocket money?

Seriously though, a few questions to depict a broader view of a professional footballer at the highest level:
    • How does it feel to be making ridiculous amounts of money, especially in the previous year's global economic climate?
    • How does his commitment to international and club duties differ (if at all)? Does he feel more responsibilty to keep fit for the club who are paying his wages during international friendlies, etc.?
    • And to follow, what are his views on the Stephen Ireland situation?
    • Who is the most inspiring player you've played: a) with, and b) against?
    • What is your number one remaining goal?
    • You're game seems to have improved considerably in the last couple of seasons, do you put this down to a particular change you made or a natural maturing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

John you are now 28, do you now feel like a senior player at United even with the likes of Neville, Giggs, and and Scholes still around?

If so was there any particular moment or summer when you realisied you were being counted on more as a senior player?

Do you get involved with or watch the youth teams much?

Was it true you were one of the last players up celebrating after the Champions League win in 2008?

Would you play for Roy Keane if Manchester United accepted an offer for you from whatever club he was managing?

Do you like "your song" because I love it. (When Johnny goes marching down the wing O'Shea O'Shea, when Johnny goes marching down the wing O'Shea O'Shea, when Johnny goes marching down the the Stretford end will ****ing sing because we all know that Johnnys gonna score. you have to sing it Darragh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Do you feel slightly embarrassed that a player of such limited ability as yourself has won so much silverware,?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Do you feel slightly embarrassed that some fans are completely clueless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

podge018 wrote: »
    Do you feel slightly embarrassed that a player of such limited ability as yourself has won so much silverware,?

So silly it's not even funny. Anyone with a bit of sense can see that O'Shea is a very good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

oh no! i don't have sense. You'ld just laugh off my comment if it was about anyone with undoubted ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭jesterhead

Remember the 4-2 game against Arsenal a few years back, when you scored the unreal chip at the end? Yeah? Well can I have an apology for it ruining my 28/1 3-2 prediction!? Forgiven in advance, a true Irish and Utd great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Were you really my Secondary School Vice Principal's nephew?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

How much do you think your versatility helped you to avoid being forced out of Old Trafford when you were out of favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The goal against Arsenal. Were you imitating Cantona's celebration, or could you not actually believe you'd scored?

Who did you support as a youngster?

Did you ever have an interest in the League of Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Des wrote: »
    The goal against Arsenal. Were you imitating Cantona's celebration, or could you not actually believe you'd scored?
    +1

I always wondered this also. I'd guess the latter. Not even John O Shea knew he was going to chip it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Getting these interviews is deadly. Fair play boards.

My question:
    Trap is famous for his ability to organise and improve a defence. How has he helped you, specifically, improve as a defender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

so that nutmeg on Figo all those years ago...

do you ever tire of being asked, and therefore, being reminded about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Fair play Darragh.. Watched your political interviews and they were excellent

Question; Who was the best player you have ever played against,at international and club level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

jesterhead wrote: »
    Remember the 4-2 game against Arsenal a few years back, when you scored the unreal chip at the end? Yeah? Well can I have an apology for it ruining my 28/1 3-2 prediction!? Forgiven in advance, a true Irish and Utd great.
    I had a tenner on Utd to win that game 4-2 @100/1. Remember jumping up and down in excitement and proclaiming "John O'Shea is my new hero and if I ever meet him I'm going to give him a big wet sloppy kiss on each of his red rosy cheeks"

Could you ask John if he'd be ok with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

After what game did Sir Alex Ferguson react the worst? Did you ever personally get the "hair dryer"?

What actually is going on in the irish camp regarding Andy Reid?

Why is Liam Miller in the squad?

Do you laugh at all the muppets who think you're only an average footballer?
    podge018 wrote: »
    disgraceful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Heya, I'm really really impressed by all the questions.

But again, because it's a ten to fifteen minute interview, I won't be able to ask them all.

So, can you somehow come up with the top ten questions you definitely want him to answer, and then the next ten or so in that order. It would really help a lot.

Thanks so much!

Darragh

• Advertisement

I personally do not care if you are gay or straight

Are you okay with becoming a gay icon for the excellent manner you have responded to the stuff coming from the terraces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Can you spell the Pole in Goal's name?
    Do reply to fanmail often?
    Do you play as yourself on FIFA in the "Be A Pro" mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

blinding wrote: »
    I personally do not care if you are gay or straight

Are you okay with becoming a gay icon for the excellent manner you have responded to the stuff coming from the terraces.

Defo worth asking about this and if it effected him in anyway??

And was/ is he friends with Will Young?

spiderdan wrote: »
    Defo worth asking about this and if it effected him in anyway??

And was/ is he friends with Will Young?
    John O' Shea handled all of this very well.

I do not care if he is friendly with Will Young or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

eh, doesnt JOS have a girlfriend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Have you come up against Robbie Brady on the wing in any training matches or the likes?

What do you think of him as a prospect?

Used to play with/against Robbie, always wondered how he was getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Is Fergie pestering you to get married too like he was with Johnny Evans?

Will Waterford ever win an All Ireland again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Which was better " Nutmegging Figo " or " That save against Robbie Keane to keep your cleansheet record as a Utd Keeper intact " :D

If you didn't make it as a footballer what would you be doing now for a living ?

Have you any interest in coaching or Management when your playing days come to an end ?

Best Stadium you have ever played in ?

How do you relax and chill out away from football ?

As one of the senior players would you like to see Ireland back in the Irish Team ?

As a FERRYBANK MAN , Are you Kilkenny or Waterford ?:D

If you where picking the Utd and Irish teams . Who would be the first name you would put on the team sheet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Did Utd give you any training in media handling ?

How many interviews do you give in a regular week ?

Any interest in becoming a pundit after you hang up your boots ala Giles/Dunphy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

A question I REALLY want asked.

Do you keep an eye out on League of Ireland results and fixtures? What is your opinion of the Irish fans who go once or twice a year to see their British team whilst the League of Ireland is on it's knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Who do you hang around with at Man Utd?

• Advertisement
Advertisement