Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Fail - Brake force Regulator

• 02-10-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

I took the wifes car for NCT today.
    It failed because of 'brake force regulator' sticking.:mad:
    • Can anyone tell me where to find the brake force regulators.
    • Is there one on each wheel?
    • How do I free it up so it's not sticking anymore?
    • Does the master cylinder have anything to do with this?

I'm pretty handy with cars so if someone could give me some pointers I'm sure I can sort this.

Would appreciate any advice....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

what car is it? is it a small hatch back?

These are typically used in smaller cars to add just the amount of breaking force applied to the rear wheels so they don't lock up too early. If the back of the car is heavily loaded more breaking force is applied.

It should be somewhere near the rear suspension with brake pipes going in and out of it. It uses the deflection of the rear suspension to adjust the hydraulic pressure to the rear calipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

Thanks for the info DD

The car is a SEAT Cordoba

Should I be looking for plungers or something of the sort. The bloke at the NCT centre said to take the car into a garage and have something greased to lossen it. Can't fully remember what he said but I couldn't be arsed taking it into a garage. I'd rather sort it myself.

When I press the brake pedal I hear this squeaking noise coming from the rear brakes. Could this have something to do with it too?

Just pick up a haynes manual for your car it should give you all the info.

I'm not sure where its located on your car. But i would guess it might just need to be loosened up and greased like he said. They know they are not working if they are caked in much etc...

Not sure about the squeaking noise....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

It should be somewhere near the rear suspension with brake pipes going in and out of it. It uses the deflection of the rear suspension to adjust the hydraulic pressure to the rear calipers.

That sounds dodgy and i'm glad my car doesn't have one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Can anyone tell me where to find the brake force regulators.

It should be fixed to the rear axle and attached to the body - the more weight in the car pushes the car towards the ground and allows more fluid to the rear drums. If you chase both rear brake lines, they should both go into the regulator - it should be the lever that's seized. If you use some WD40 and try to move the lever up and down, that should cure it. Two words of advice though:
    - The unit may need replacing
    - Don't mistake the hand-brake cables for the hydraulic lines! The handbrake cables will go up into the cabin.
    Is there one on each wheel?

No, just the one.

How do I free it up so it's not sticking anymore?

See point no. 1
    Does the master cylinder have anything to do with this?

They are linked via the hydraulic lines but the master cylinder is at the front of the car and the regulator is at the back.

• Advertisement

tommmy1979 wrote: »

They're designed to stop the rear wheels locking up by adjusting the amount of brake force in relation to the weight the car is carrying. They are common on lots of older cars.

K. Thats brilliant.. Thanks for all info peeps.. I will have a look at it this weekend and book the car in for the re-test next week...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

WD40 is your friend OP! Post your brake data up here so I can see if the component is having any impact on braking performance....

tommmy1979 wrote: »

Why is it dodgy?

The rear bakes on a car only provide up to about 25% of the braking force, the rest is done by the front.

In small light cars the back wheels would lock up very easily due to there being so little weight on them. So this stops them locking up under moderate braking.

The other way of looking it at is, that it allows the rear wheels to provide additional braking if there is weight in the back of the car.

I found the brake force reg easy enough. Attached a few pics I took with my mobile.

Gave it loads of DW40 then jacked the car up and down a few times in the hope of lossening it up.

How do I tell if this is working correctly?
    How do the tell at the test centre how if this is working correctly?

When I jack the car up and down there appears to be very little movement in the unit:confused:

• Advertisement

A.jpg

The orange line should be the direction of travel, with the pivot point (fulcrum) pointed out with the text.

EDIT: Looking at the photo, I'm not sure if you'd be able to move it by hand with tension on it.(Although you might!) If you have the rear wheels resting on the ground, get someone to bounce the back of the car up and down - lie down on the path, clear of the bouncing car, and try get a look up to check the lever is moving.

I think this is sorted.

I took the bolt out that attached the unit to the axel.

It turned out that the pivot point was sticking (totaly fused - wouldn't budge).
    A whole bunch of banging, pulling and pushing later I freed it up an lubed it.

Re-attached it and put the wheel back on..

Anyway.. I hope that it's ok as it will be retested this week.

Thanks again.. saved me a couple of bob...

Advertisement