Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Rugby in UCD?

Options
  • 02-10-2009 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

so does this even exist?

basically in my secondary school we had a social team... nothing taken too serious. nothing fantastic in the standard but always a good laugh.

is there anything like this available or is it all pretty serious rugby? cos i heard theres only three teams and there are leinster U20's and the likes on the seconds?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

so does this even exist?

basically in my secondary school we had a social team... nothing taken too serious. nothing fantastic in the standard but always a good laugh.

is there anything like this available or is it all pretty serious rugby? cos i heard theres only three teams and there are leinster U20's and the likes on the seconds?!

Thats BS of the highest order!! There are 7 teams in the college. U-21's (formerly U20's) A, B and C's and the Senior Teams , 1sts, j1/U23's , j2's and j4's. The social teams are great banter esp the j4's who are encamped in Harto's on a Saturday night. there is always great camaradaerie between the teams and if you play college rugby you wont be disapointed

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Thats BS of the highest order!! There are 7 teams in the college. U-21's (formerly U20's) A, B and C's and the Senior Teams , 1sts, j1/U23's , j2's and j4's. The social teams are great banter esp the j4's who are encamped in Harto's on a Saturday night. there is always great camaradaerie between the teams and if you play college rugby you wont be disapointed

oh im very glad its bs! its tuesdays and thursdays at 7 right? where?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

oh im very glad its bs! its tuesdays and thursdays at 7 right? where?

Mondays and Wednesdays!

Either on the astroturf or the pitches opposite the Student Center

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Training on Mondays is usually on the all weather pitch and on wednesdays on the pitches opposite the sports centre. Just turn up to the rugby changing rooms (at the bowl) and there will be a sign up saying which changing room the super4s are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

heard the ucd j4's is great craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Seriously - like just social? Turned off by the idea that you had to have at least 6 years experience at rugger in order to even bother signing up. Moved to sports I thought would have little precedence in secondary schools in order to level the playing field, as it were :D

Although I have noticed that a couple of sports such as American Football and Lacrosse seem to take themselves very seriously. I mean, training 4-5 times a week? :rolleyes:

Seriously - like just social? Turned off by the idea that you had to have at least 6 years experience at rugger in order to even bother signing up. Moved to sports I thought would have little precedence in secondary schools in order to level the playing field, as it were :D

Although I have noticed that a couple of sports such as American Football and Lacrosse seem to take themselves very seriously. I mean, training 4-5 times a week? :rolleyes:

Where did you get the idea you need 6 years experience playing rugby? There are a couple of guys down at j4 training who have never even played before.

That is the brilliant though Randname the elitist attitude of non rugby players to rugby.

Harto's was pumping on saturday night and was great craic. Fred leads a determined group of alcoholics and the new lads seem well up for the super 4 drink culture. Should be good this Sat also depending on results

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

That is the brilliant though Randname the elitist attitude of non rugby players to rugby.

Harto's was pumping on saturday night and was great craic. Fred leads a determined group of alcoholics and the new lads seem well up for the super 4 drink culture. Should be good this Sat also depending on results

I didn't even bother asking in the sports expo. Were you on the senior team in blackrock, belvedere, clongowes, mary's or (at a stretch) michael's? No? Move along...

I might take a look after refreshers day...

I didn't even bother asking in the sports expo. Were you on the senior team in blackrock, belvedere, clongowes, mary's or (at a stretch) michael's? No? Move along...

I might take a look after refreshers day...

Where have you gotten this deluded idea that it's a prerequisite to have attended one of the big rugby schools in dublin to play for the j4s?

A lot of the team played for schools/clubs outside the big rugby playing schools of dublin, and the few that did aren't how you portray them at all. Really good bunch of guys playing at the moment. Why don't you come down and watch our match on Saturday (thornfield, ko@3) and see for yourself.

• Advertisement

Quoted for truth - animal night!! If I never see another pint of stout again it'll be too soon..

karmabass wrote: »
    Quoted for truth - animal night!! If I never see another pint of stout again it'll be too soon..

It's starts all over again on Saturday night! :D

i think a bit of this confusion is coming from between the J4s and the u20's teams... what kind of standard are the U20 Cs?

i think a bit of this confusion is coming from between the J4s and the u20's teams... what kind of standard are the U20 Cs?

Having never played u20's in Ucd I have no idea but I have heard the grumblings of former players that felt the A's and B's was quite serious and a bit banterless. 20 C's I'd say are more relaxed but gotta say you never see many 20's guys out and about.

If you looked at the 1st team in UCD and all the way down you'd see players playing from non rugby school's. Granted what quicklickpaddy said is true and there is a large difference between senior and u20's part of the club but I have never seen a club with such close connections between teams and for the vast majority ego's are left at the door, this includes players on pro contracts. As a student it is a great club to play for and many continue to do so when they finish college.

I just think its funny that this elitist view is thrust upon players by guys who never played the game or tried.

What happened with the roof?

What happened with the roof?

The roof?? I have no idea.. do enlighten

Weebushy wrote:
    It's starts all over again on Saturday night! :D

:cool:

The roof?? I have no idea.. do enlighten

:cool:

Supposedly there is now a hole in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Well,as one of the guys on the u20's C's that has never played before.I can say it's as serious as you are,the trainers are fairly okay wth guys doing F*ck all and such.The more serious players usually[in first year so i don't know] get bumped up to B's or A's through out the year but average showing at trainings is about 40 and up so there needs to be a bit of competition.

Saying that there are no Diets sheets thrown at you.I've never played and am not the most unfit guy on the team[close].So, it's a bit of a laugh,
    Hopefully I'll see you there [Tuesday/Thursday at 7 in the UCD Bowl]

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

hey, do u knw if theres a girls rugby team?

LovexxLife wrote: »
    hey, do u knw if theres a girls rugby team?

Yes there is, they train Mondays and Wednesdays I think not too sure though, there is a link on the www.ucdrugby.com website.

As an aside anyone find a phone in Harto's on Sat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

American football only trains once or twice a week

well due to an unholy amount of procrastination and laziness it took me untill yesterday to actually go up to rugby and find out for myself. final verdict is yes... there definately is social rugby in UCD. the U20 3rds are savage craic. 1sts and 2nds train together and look pretty intense but none of that is there for the 3rds. they're completely separate. id seriously recommend it, whatever standard you are

well due to an unholy amount of procrastination and laziness it took me untill yesterday to actually go up to rugby and find out for myself. final verdict is yes... there definately is social rugby in UCD. the U20 3rds are savage craic. 1sts and 2nds train together and look pretty intense but none of that is there for the 3rds. they're completely separate. id seriously recommend it, whatever standard you are

WE HAVE A CONVERT!

Welcome to the dark side :pac: (with a head of creamy white)
    Mmm... Guinness.

Advertisement