Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abe's Oddysee !! Euro 3.40 on steam !! :) :D

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Great game. Always funny when one of them would step on a landmine and be blown to pieces.

The farts were also hilarious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Im going to buy it for nostalgia reasons!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I used to love that games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

What a class game AO is, I remember being hooked on the demo before buying the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

(Quivery voice) "This is rupture farms.............!"

Jaysus, blast from the past! Great game, played it to death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

used to love the mind control....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

When I had that game I got at least half way through before I realised when you possess a slig you can then move it and control it instead of just exploding it. I don't even know how I got that far without knowing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Abe's Exoddus also 3.39.

Actually get the Oddworld pack for 5.09 http://store.steampowered.com/sub/949/
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

fantastic games altogether, Just bought them on ebay for a good bit more dosh.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

ahh the memories. This was the first game I played on the ps1 on the demo that came with it....Good times!

• Advertisement

Think I still have it on cd somewhere tbh, might have a look later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Thanks so much for the heads-up and link, that's such good value for two of my favourite games of all time. I'm installing them right now :)

I recently played Munch's Oddysee and, though it was alright, it wasn't near as good as I hoped and really just made me want to play these 2 again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's odd (no pun intended... well OK, maybe a little); but I recall that the Oddworld franchise was an ernest attempt to forge a strong brand & mythology - I vaguely recollect talk of films & TV shows, age addled memory notwithstanding. A few games later and the series petered into a footnote in 90s gaming. A shame really because it was such a dark, brilliantly designed series. The first two games were pretty good to boot, though I never played Munch's Odyssey.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's odd (no pun intended... well OK, maybe a little); but I recall that the Oddworld franchise was an ernest attempt to forge a strong brand & mythology

I remember that too, there were meant to be at least 5 seperate Oddworld games starring 5 different characters (Abe's Exoddus was considered a spinoff from Abe's Odyssee so didn't count) and they seemingly had plans to make it into a very big series but it never happened for some reason. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

elekid wrote: »
    I remember that too, there were meant to be at least 5 seperate Oddworld games starring 5 different characters (Abe's Exoddus was considered a spinoff from Abe's Odyssee so didn't count) and they seemingly had plans to make it into a very big series but it never happened for some reason. Shame.

The reason is that Lorne Lanning/Oddworld Inhabitants backed out of the games industry because Electronic Arts wouldn't get behind Stranger's Wrath and market the game despite good publicity supposedly due to it only being on one platform (Xbox).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Strangers Wrath was a good game too. Great main character, especially toward the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah yes, Stranger's Wrath, that was the fourth one; I couldn't for the life of me remember what that one was called. No wonder it flopped if it only came out for the XBox.

It frustrating to see good, original games treated like that. I would love to play Stranger's Wrath too but I don't think it's been made backwards compatible on the 360.

Just curious how people rate munch's odessey and stangers wrath, I did not no they existed until now and was wondering if their worth the effort to track down.

Just curious how people rate munch's odessey and stangers wrath, I did not no they existed until now and was wondering if their worth the effort to track down.

Munch's Oddysee isn't all that great to me. Way beneath the quality of the Abe games. Especially when running on a 360.

• Advertisement

Munch's Oddysee has no sound if you play on the 360 which made it unplayable for me. I had to borrow my friends Xbox original to play it. It's an alright game but nowhere near as good as Oddysee or Exoddus. It has some annoying 3D jumping bits and just isn't as inventive or memorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

The steam version of abe was **** i thought. I thought theyd at least include an option to set the resolution or some ****, it just looks so ugly on a modern monitor, and is there even joypad support? I dunno, i gave up on it after about 20 minutes of it looking like arse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good memories of this game! Still have copies of Oddysee and Exodus lying around somewhere. Never played Munch but adore Stranger's Wrath - I think it is one of the finest games produced last generation, and distressingly underplayed too. Wonderful western atmosphere, fun stealth mechanics, plus a superb twist midway through that completely turns the flow of the game on it's head just as you fear things might get boring (they don't). If you like the series Stranger's Wrath is definitely worth playing - probably my favourite Xbox exclusive, and it is a damn shame it isn't backwards compatible or available on any other console or PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

must dig out the old xbox and stranger's wrath/munch, never really got into them at all
    If they had stayed with Playstation I would guess they would be at least as popular as ratchet and clank now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Strangers Wrath is a great game, though difficult to track down. I stumbled across a second hand copy in GAME and snapped it up sharpish

Not sure how well it plays on the Xbox 360 though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

0ubliette wrote: »
    The steam version of abe was **** i thought. I thought theyd at least include an option to set the resolution or some ****, it just looks so ugly on a modern monitor, and is there even joypad support? I dunno, i gave up on it after about 20 minutes of it looking like arse

I just have it in my shopping cart and about to purchase until I saw your comment, is it really that terrible looking?

I never played the full game but played the demo to death on PS.

It looks kind of pixelly on my laptop when stretched to full screen but it's not unplayable by any means, just try to sit as far from the screen as you can. I didn't test whether I could reduce the window size but if it's possible that would probably improve it a bit. I guess it all comes down to how much the graphics matter to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

elekid wrote: »
    It looks kind of pixelly on my laptop when stretched to full screen but it's not unplayable by any means, just try to sit as far from the screen as you can. I didn't test whether I could reduce the window size but if it's possible that would probably improve it a bit. I guess it all comes down to how much the graphics matter to you.

Cheers.

Ah screw it, €5 for a nostalgia trip coupled with hilarious fart noises > graphics.

Christ almighty I forgot how hard these games were, I thought these games would be less difficult a decade on,died about a 100 times last night.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    Strangers Wrath is a great game, though difficult to track down. I stumbled across a second hand copy in GAME and snapped it up sharpish

Not sure how well it plays on the Xbox 360 though

Stranger's Wrath doesn't play at all on a 360. Best people could hope for these days is that it's made available for download.

Advertisement