Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fencing query

• 02-10-2009 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Would anyone be able to give me a rough idea of how much per meter a contractor would charge for putting up sheep fencing (posts every 3 yards or so etc)? Would their price typically include materials, or is it up to me to provide the materials myself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

pc6439 wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to give me a rough idea of how much per meter a contractor would charge for putting up sheep fencing (posts every 3 yards or so etc)? Would their price typically include materials, or is it up to me to provide the materials myself?
    are you in waterford
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

pc6439 wrote: »

Hello PC3469,

I got a quote for a field there lately for putting up sheep wire (the heavy fox wire stuff) plus one strand barbed wire on top, 6ft posts every 4 yards. This was for everything - materials & labour. It worked out around 4.50 + VAT.

This is the only quote I got so far, I need to shop around a bit more. But would be interested in hearing the views on this price.

I'm in that dilemia at the minute whether to do the fencing myself or get a contractor... currently, prices I've gotten for wire & posts are 100E for 100m roll heavy wire, 2.40 per fencing post, 5ft heavy ones.

Thoughts? Is this wire expensive?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Hello PC3469,

I got a quote for a field there lately for putting up sheep wire (the heavy fox wire stuff) plus one strand barbed wire on top, 6ft posts every 4 yards. This was for everything - materials & labour. It worked out around 4.50 + VAT.

This is the only quote I got so far, I need to shop around a bit more. But would be interested in hearing the views on this price.

I'm in that dilemia at the minute whether to do the fencing myself or get a contractor... currently, prices I've gotten for wire & posts are 100E for 100m roll heavy wire, 2.40 per fencing post, 5ft heavy ones.

Thanks.

after over 30 years of experience and I have learned my mistakes I would advise not to use native Irish posts

Use only Latvian Russian or Swedish pine if possible, it will add maybe €1-€1.50 per metre to the initial cost but will pay back a thousand fold in the next 25 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Hello PC3469,

Thanks.

had fencing to do myself in the summer, was thinking of hiring post driver and giving it a go, in the end just got a lad to do it, i reckon without working with one of those fencing lads for a bit and seeing how its done right you would make a hash of it, even they way they tie the wire is so tidy compared to how I manage it. went with the heavy trested sticks, dont know if they are native now or not but they are almost black, whether or not they are any better than the normal sticks i couldnt say but hopefully they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

had fencing to do myself in the summer, was thinking of hiring post driver and giving it a go, in the end just got a lad to do it, i reckon without working with one of those fencing lads for a bit and seeing how its done right you would make a hash of it, even they way they tie the wire is so tidy compared to how I manage it. went with the heavy trested sticks, dont know if they are native now or not but they are almost black, whether or not they are any better than the normal sticks i couldnt say but hopefully they are

Hello vanderbadger,

I saw your thread there a while back all right re whether to do it yerself or get a contractor to do it.

I guess I am now in the same quandary...

- High cost no time (my own time) vs high time low cost...
    - Plus now I have one field to fence (@2 - 3k), but I will want to fence maybe 3 or 4 more (maybe another 4 - 5k). Which makes me wonder should I invest in a post driver as it will get a good bit of use...

I know what you mean re the quality of the fencing work - mine wouldn't be the tidiest now, but it would still be stock proof which is the main thing I guess.

One question I have - the quote I have is for the heavy 'foxwire' stuff. But if I was to do it myself, as there is not-so-bad ditches in some of it, I would use some of the lighter guage wire...

Am I mad to even consider the lighter wire, and would this be save a penny, lose a pound (in years to come)

As for posts - the ones I was quoted were the same ones mentioned above - those heavy black ones... I didnt ask whether they were Irish or not though. Where does one get Latvian / Swedish pine posts? And what price are they?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Where does one get Latvian / Swedish pine posts? And what price are they?

Thanks.

Eric Murray 086 8276895
    www.studrailfencing.com

or

Tom Hogan 086 8232377

these stakes are not cheap to buy initially, but if you intend to live longer than 5 years, you will be glad you did.

BTW I have no affiliation or am I recommending either of the above suppliers & am passing on their contact details for information purposes only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Hello vanderbadger,

I saw your thread there a while back all right re whether to do it yerself or get a contractor to do it.

I guess I am now in the same quandary...

- High cost no time (my own time) vs high time low cost...
    - Plus now I have one field to fence (@2 - 3k), but I will want to fence maybe 3 or 4 more (maybe another 4 - 5k). Which makes me wonder should I invest in a post driver as it will get a good bit of use...

I know what you mean re the quality of the fencing work - mine wouldn't be the tidiest now, but it would still be stock proof which is the main thing I guess.
    One question I have - the quote I have is for the heavy 'foxwire' stuff. But if I was to do it myself, as there is not-so-bad ditches in some of it, I would use some of the lighter guage wire...

Am I mad to even consider the lighter wire, and would this be save a penny, lose a pound (in years to come)

As for posts - the ones I was quoted were the same ones mentioned above - those heavy black ones... I didnt ask whether they were Irish or not though. Where does one get Latvian / Swedish pine posts? And what price are they?

Thanks.

ya i guess if its going to cost that much you would be as well get your own driver, always handy anyway i guess for hanging a gate or fixing up fence..

Advertisement