Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I've been disconnected a few times but it's my internet connection, not the MAG servers. In fact I have barely seen any lag even and had no trouble connecting to games. Which has never happened me on launch weekend online before.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

GothPunk wrote: »
    What's your connection like to the PSN usually? I only ask as I don't think it's the MAG servers as only a subset of MAG players are having problems. I haven't been disconnected once and I've been playing a lot since Friday. For reference I have a 10Mb D/1Mb U, wireless connection, NAT type 2, UPnP enabled and PSN ports forwarded.

Usually fine. My NAT is open and I'm fine with other games, just seems to be something that's only happenin with MAG for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I picked this up today. What's the deelio with the Boards clan, is it up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ankh98

I've had this since Friday and put in maybe around 5 hours, (finally got to level 8 last night and able to join in on a game of domination). I'm still to make my mind up on this.

Of all the games i've played there has been only one that had any kind of leadership directing the platoon, and he wasn't even the guy who was "designated leader". He just said as soon as the game started "if you can hear my voice defend B" and the game worked out well with him directing the team against assaults and so on. The rest of the time it's been very much every man for himself, with little to no communication. (On a side not i seem to be having the same headset issues that have been mentioned above, it's connected and synced to the PS3 and is recognised in-game, but no one can hear me)

I'm hoping that as people get used to the game and you start to have a group who can work together the instances of games with teamwork and communication will increase cos that is definately the point where the game enters a league of it's own and goes from chaos to some form of organised chaos.

I've had no problems connecting to servers or with disconnections or noticed any kind of lag within the game. I am however getting kind of sick of snipers. But if you keep moving you'll be a harder target, just got to remember not to stay in one place for too long.

BTW - Playing as Raven and my PSN is Dishco (case sensitive) feel free to add away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Grayditch wrote: »
    I picked this up today. What's the deelio with the Boards clan, is it up and running?

Yea Boardsroughnecks is set up i sent out a few invites but we only have 3 or 4 signed up, think others are in a different clan already. my id is Bubs78 if you add me ill send you a clan invite too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

This could be an enjoyable game if everyone didnt just run all over the place, we got a review copy and it was a joke, as soon as the game starts everyone just legs it in and gets murdered. lol. maybe the lack of headsets on the ps3 is to blame i dunno its a pity really.

Cheers, Grumpy.

All I've done is play the team death matches in the Ravens training. Enjoyable, but very, very messy with no planning or communication, but I guess the objective in that gametype is to kill,kill,kill.

I don't think people can hear me and the other mics are coming through my T.v.

Sniping is great to do every now and again, to break up the bouts of being massacred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Grayditch wrote: »
    Cheers, Grumpy.

All I've done is play the team death matches in the Ravens training. Enjoyable, but very, very messy with no planning or communication, but I guess the objective in that gametype is to kill,kill,kill.

I don't think people can hear me and the other mics are coming through my T.v.

Sniping is great to do every now and again, to break up the bouts of being massacred.

Alright folks. Looking for a little bit of help. I am trying to register my headphones with the console but the ps3 just keeps scanning and scanning. I have the nokia bh-503. I have checked other forum and it looks like they should be able to be paired with the console.

any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭#Daniel

After much deliberation I've taken the plunge and bought this game, hope I like it!

Any recommendations on what faction to choose? I'm thinking either valor or SVER

I have been playing Supression. Not some training thing as I thought.

I'm glad I got this. It's not what it could be, though. Yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

having lots of fun with this add me caspa307

im s.v.e.r

caspa307 wrote: »

im s.v.e.r

Go smash up a McDonalds, hippy.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

#Daniel wrote: »
    After much deliberation I've taken the plunge and bought this game, hope I like it!

Any recommendations on what faction to choose? I'm thinking either valor or SVER

Go Valor or Raven, i think SVER have a lot more players.

The game is growing one me i have to say. As long as i stay out of acquisition its fun, the Valor map seems absolutely awful to defend on, maybe its just the players. The Sabo Valor map is ok for defence.
    Will give Domination a go.

Very nooby question.
    Righto out of interest how the hell do you actually see the squad leaders objectives on screen? I occasionally hear a command but never see anything on screen, actually thats a big issue, squad leaders and platoon leaders never actually try to co-ordinate anything. Its very frustrating.

Also funnily enough i turned the gamma up a fair bit in game and it looks a lot better a hell of a lot less muddy. I rarely go near gamma in game so im surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

IGN review

http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1065655p3.html

Definitly think he has a point about there not being enough content out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

IGN review

http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1065655p3.html

Definitly think he has a point about there not being enough content out of the box.

Surprisingly good review from IGN. They need to rebalance S.V.E.R fast or people are gna give up. Part of me wants to delete my Raven profile and start again! Its so draining playing 15 minutes with a team that runs around like headless chickens, saying that, I took Gothpunks advice and just started taking control last night and ended up having a really good game! Aquisition is a brilliant game type. Really well designed.

I reset my Raven lad last night. He was a joker with some **** scopes, now he's Patch Adams with Xp coming out of his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

What im planing on doing is once ive taken my Raven charactor as far as i can go, im going to defect to Valour and start all over again. Think this is a good idea.

The SVER unbalance comes form the Gamestop Armour. They where impossible to beat for the first few days and just ranked up way too quickly. As the guy says in the review it just snowballs. Not sure how they will rebalance it with out tipping it the other way.

Ya the armour is fairly ridiculous, i think i shot a guy ten times in the upper body with the ScarLW shocking stuff. Their Sabo map is a piss take as well far too unbalanced.
    The SVER Domination map actually seems fairly balanced to me, well if Zipper would fix the exploit their using to fix their gates from the inside.

But having said that i think the Raven acquisition map is very unbalanced- attackers dont have a hope, the Raven Sabotage map- defenders dont have a hope.
    Valor- Sabotage map seems to be one of the few balanced ones, Their Acquisition is horrible for defenders, Domination i havent spent enough time on.

Its actually a really fun game when you get into it, but its a desperately bad job done on balancing exasperated by the pre-order armour, what genius came up with that.
    When it comes to attacking SVER in Sabo i see whole squads and half your team leave regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Haven't got this game yet myself. In between PS3's atm.

Think it's a good thing though to give this game a wide berth to allow the MW heads to get frustrated and quit, and also to allow the devs to balance the game more. I really hope they patch this game to allow for multiple profiles though, I thought that was a limitation only of the beta and would be unlocked in the main game :(

I mean a simple way around it, I guess, is to have multiple PSN accounts tied to different factions.

• Advertisement

Another thing is they have taken out customisation options from the beta for your character, the dirty buggers are going to offer it up as DLC i think later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I don't know where people are getting this idea that the DLC is superior from, it's not. It lies somewhere between the medium and heavy armour and thus you could easily equip the heavy armour and outclass the defense of anyone wearing the DLC armour. They might just have a better gun than you or be a better shot. It could also be lag on your or their end.

If i remember correctly someone posted figures showing that the pre-order armour is only slightly less effective than heavy at a cost of only 800cc hhmm not an advantage?

Its not huge but add it to 120 health and the freedom to take another gadget with the weight saving. I think it was on the official MAG forum, might have to trawl through the posts later to find it.
    I certainly feel its often harder to take down sver players in general. Nothing to do with skill on either side. Connection also wasnt an issue, its always fine for me on sabotage.

Having said that, its not just about SVER (from my viewpoint) There are of course Valor and Raven equivalent armours but there are far less of those around due to the Gamestop and Gamecrazy or whoever it was situation
    . I think any preorder stuff that gives you an advantage is just terrible. Especially when you cant obtain it in game such as this. The pre-order DLC for Bad Company 2 is awful as well. It gives you serious gadgets/perks from the off.
    I think its a greedy tactic and its short sighted.

This game is going to get worse before it gets better. The Resuscitation tool is THE most important thing to have, next to your gun. Playing Sabotage there and nobody would revive anyone in the C building, except muggins. Same with Supression. That game is won with the Resuscitation tool as much as it is with the Assault rifle.

I cant wait 'til the COD curd is scraped off and people with mics and a thought in their head are left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

Had my first few proper games of this last night. Turns out I'm terrible at the game. I have some questions.

1: Any tips on how to be better? I got about 4 kills to others 35. I thought I killed more but thinking maybe I was lacing lads with bullets but someone else got the final shot in.

2: Where's the team work? I bought the headset thinking people would be saying where to go and talk about springing traps. All I heard was young American fools talking about how great they are and how they stuck a knife in someones face.

3: Can you get new guns? I know You have a selection of a few but I heard talk of shotguns which I didn't see.

4: What's the best faction? I'm currently with Raven.

5: I managed to get to level 4, any tips how to get my level up quicker. I suppose this will come with tips on how to play better.

I'm thinking maybe this game isn't for me. I never really played many FPS's before so it's probably just an experience thing but it was quite frustrating. I come running out from where I spawn, get shot dead and repeat. Or sometimes I lace a lad with loads of shots, he doesn't die and then bang, I'm dead straight away. Maybe something to do with armour or headshots? Any ways to avoid this sort of thing? I'm I supposed to be hiding or what?

I like the idea of the game but being so crap and getting mowed out of it non stop is very frustrating and makes me want to turn it off, puit on pro evo so I can dish out some whippings at something I'm quite good at.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Played a great game last night, followed by about ten awful ones, its annoying how you get kicked from the team you were just with as the games are full then when you go back in to try and join them again. Tried to join a few games with boardsies last night but even if I joined a group I had problems getting in.

The game that was good was great though, our whole squad just kept defending the blown up AA :D HOLD EM BACK we can doo itttt!!!!

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

RAIN wrote: »
    Played a great game last night, followed by about ten awful ones, its annoying how you get kicked from the team you were just with as the games are full then when you go back in to try and join them again. Tried to join a few games with boardsies last night but even if I joined a group I had problems getting in.

The game that was good was great though, our whole squad just kept defending the blown up AA :D HOLD EM BACK we can doo itttt!!!!

Brilliant
    I'd like to try play with some boards people rather than Americans. How to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

budgemook wrote: »
    I'd like to try play with some boards people rather than Americans. How to do this?

make sure you get a few on your friends list (good idea to get those in same PMC)
    Then in game go to the community menu, select the friend, and group invite.
    You can form a squad of 8 and then deploy into a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

budgemook wrote: »
    Had my first few proper games of this last night. Turns out I'm terrible at the game. I have some questions.

Afaik, the upgrade tree for beginners should look something like "tactical scope>med kit>resuscitation kit".

Getting a resuscitation kit will help you get XP fast. You get XP from healing team mates but you also get 10 XP for reviving one of them (equivalent to 2 kills) I went from getting around 30 XP from kills in 1 match to over 700 XP in the next when I got the resuscitation kit.

Becoming a medic will also help you to learn the maps and where people frequently meet on the map and get incapped.

People will also be more likely to stay near you if they see the white cross above your name meaning you can revive them if they get shot down.

Play smart, find your squad leaders and stick with them. While you are still learning, always stay behind someone and give them support (preferably pick another medic who can also revive you) Learn to watch your HUD radar, try to only move when you see an enemy give away their position, allowing you to flank for the kill. If you are not a sniper and are on your own in a part of the map you are playing it wrong.

• Advertisement

The fastest way to level up is to use the resurrection tool, but only when it's safe. You don't want to cause another death AND your own. Play Suppression for a good few games and stick with your squad/clumps of fighters. Don't run around willienillie. Don't worry about not getting too many kills, the weapons at the start are dreadful. When you get your character level up, you can start to unlock better ones. Try playing with people from Boards, it makes it easier with a squad, alright.

I deleted my character to start again and it wiped my clan off. I need to get back in.

Advertisement