Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

New Patch tomorrow just blew my mind.

Patch v1.03

Available February 25, 2010 | 41MB (TPPS), 49MB (DLS)

Gameplay

Overhauled tuning of multiple weapons of all types (see “Weapon” section below)
    Improved speed of weapon and gear swapping by approximately 500 milliseconds.
    Fixed bug in SVER’s Aralkum Mechanical Acquisition map and Absheron Refinery Domination map that allowed players to defuse a charge planted on a repaired gate or door.
    Added a “solid tone” sound effect near the end of a charge’s beeping detonation timer so that players know when the charge can no longer be defused and that they should vacate the area.
    “Medium Improved” Armor now works as intended with the speed properties of Medium Armor and a defensive value greater than Medium, but less than Heavy Armor.
    Changed resuscitated player’s camera orientation to match the last camera direction used while incapacitated instead of the pre-harm camera.
    Players no longer lose XP if a teammate is killed by an objective explosion caused by a charge they planted.
    Respec Point requirements in Barracks have been changed from 3K, 5K, 10K, 17K, 26K, and 26K-Repeat to 1K, 2K, 3K, and 3K-Repeat.
    Lowered the amount of damage necessary to kill an incapacitated enemy
    All fired projectiles (RPGs, Turret Rockets) have been given a steadier aim.
    Mines that haven’t been triggered are no longer removed from the map when the dead player that deploys them respawns unless that player changes their Loadout (note: The maximum number of mines you can plant cannot exceed the number you initially spawn with).
    Fixed bug that prevented “fully-resuscitated” players with more than 100 health points from receiving their full HP.
    Fixed bug that caused players to take unnecessary damage from both friendly and enemy vehicles when touching them.
    Players no longer lose leadership points after entering “Veteran Mode.”
    Weapons

“From the hip” firing for Light and Medium machine guns have stronger recoil and are less accurate when moving.
    Tuned weapon damage for all three factions.
    Modified all short-ranged weapons (pistols, PDWs, shotguns, SMGs) so that they’re less effective at long distances.
    Made Battle Rifles more effective.
    Reduced accuracy bonus for using iron sights and reflex sights so that players can no longer snipe with weapons that aren’t intended to do so.
    Increased damage values for all rockets to make them more effective (ex: three rockets can now destroy a DE turret).
    Shooting through thin materials (fences, tents, etc.) will be more consistent.
    Increased spread on shotguns.
    Improved animations for rocket launchers.

Graphics

Fixed bug that caused the recoil animation to end early or stop animating if a player was firing their weapon for a long period of time.
    Changed detonation time on smoke and poison gas grenades to prevent them from exploding in mid-air to eliminate unintended FX issues.
    Added realistic fogging effects to sky-domes.
    Technical

Fixed most conditions that caused players to be caught in a “respawn loop” which kept restarting the respawn queue when the countdown clock reached 0.
    Changed in-game conditions to make it less likely to experience in-game freezes.
    Improved client-side stability.
    Want to talk about it? You can comment on this post by clicking this link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Damn, that's a pretty comprehensive patch. Liking the sound of the improved Battle rifle as it's my weapon of choice :P Was ridiculous getting sniped by a machine gun. May have to play a bit now tonight to get one last taste of the infuriating SMG snipers!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

That patch was well needed.
    The guns were a bit all over the place.

In terms of gamers,

Iv started a MAG clan if anyone wants in please let me know or wants somone to play online with.
    PSN id is glimmer_dan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Wow is all I have to say after visiting the MAG blog, that patch (if everything works as it describes) is perfect! Now that's how you support a game! (I'm looking at you Guerrila Games). I as wondering why it was taking so long (relatively) for them to patch stuff and then they fix everything in one go!

Good gaming today NotorietyH. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

GothPunk wrote: »
    Now that's how you support a game! (I'm looking at you Guerrila Games).

In defense of my Dutch brethren (and hopefully future employers - I say that with a fat, half-read C++ games book next to my rather weary face) it appears they're working on "something new"...

• Advertisement

Mines that haven’t been triggered are no longer removed from the map when the dead player that deploys them respawns unless that player changes their Loadout

Thats so freekin handy for defending!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

RAIN wrote: »
    Mines that haven’t been triggered are no longer removed from the map when the dead player that deploys them respawns unless that player changes their Loadout

Thats so freekin handy for defending!

Sure is. Used to set one at the console and one on the stairs, then had to do it again when I died. Really like this fix.

In defense of my Dutch brethren (and hopefully future employers - I say that with a fat, half-read C++ games book next to my rather weary face) it appears they're working on "something new"...
    Oh yeah I figure they're hard at work on Killzone 3. I just feel that Guerrila broke the game and/or fractured the community with so many incremental patches. They changed things and then changed them back, didn't fix things that needed fixing or took too long to fix things. I'm sure they were listening to the community it just seems that Zipper know how to sort through the noise and listen to the right people.

I mean look at that patch... the majesty! I only wish Killzone 2 had been supported that little bit better and I think the community would have stuck around longer.

Looking forward to seeing how this patch effects stuff later today. :D

I'm off to turn on my PS3 and download this now if it's live. I imagine they reduced the cost of re-speccing to try and calm down the machine gunners after the nerf!

Good games indeed last night GothPunk! They were damn fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Definately had to knock back the acuracy of the light\medium machine guns. too many using them(me amongst them).

• Advertisement

GothPunk wrote: »
    Oh yeah I figure they're hard at work on Killzone 3. I just feel that Guerrila broke the game and/or fractured the community with so many incremental patches. They changed things and then changed them back, didn't fix things that needed fixing or took too long to fix things. I'm sure they were listening to the community it just seems that Zipper know how to sort through the noise and listen to the right people.

I mean look at that patch... the majesty! I only wish Killzone 2 had been supported that little bit better and I think the community would have stuck around longer.

Looking forward to seeing how this patch effects stuff later today. :D

The one thing that pissed me off about the Killzone patch situation is that shotgun. I haven't played it in months but I take it that the shotgun is still way to over powered and accurate? I still loved it though and its never getting traded in.

Dudes, I feel a MAG weekend coming on. I know, Heavy Rain is this weekend, so maybe next weekend will be MAG time, but it needs to happen!
    RAIN wrote: »
    The one thing that pissed me off about the Killzone patch situation is that shotgun. I haven't played it in months but I take it that the shotgun is still way to over powered and accurate? I still loved it though and its never getting traded in.
    Don't get me wrong guys, I love Killzone 2 MP. I still do. I'm so hard on Guerrila because the game came so close to sweet sweet MP perfection for me. It's the game that got me into console FPS (albeit a limited number of console FPS). I think that's why I love MAG so much, I think it's stood on the shoulders of Killzone 2 and provided a unique, fun and challenging experience.

Objective based MP, how I love you. Keep up the good work Zipper and I'll just keep on playing. <3 :pac:
    NotorietyH wrote: »
    Good games indeed last night GothPunk! They were damn fun.
    We made winning Domination whilst defending look easy that game. ^^

Urgh just had a game there, I think they've made the Battle Rifle worse not better. I was unloading full clips into people and they still weren't going down. Yet three shots from miles away from teh Machine Gun took medown after I'd unloaded a full clip into him. Didn't seem any different to me, it actually felt worse. Will see how I get on in the next few games, I just know I had the most frustrating game I've ever played of it there.

Hopefully it was just me being a bit off and a bad game.

Second game wasn't as bad, but don't go in expecting any radical changes really. I think it's mainly tweaks more than anything. I did notice someone trying to pick me off with a machine gun from far away not even hitting me once defending our Sabo match, but other than that, it's still pretty much the same as it ever was. Battle Rifle still feels weaker though, which is very frustrating.

I found mag to be a bit too hard at the start for new gamers. but after LVL 10 it becomes great.

I have set up my own clan with some freinds and would love some extra company. If your looking for a clan or other mag players to group up with please add me.
    PSN id is

glimmer_dan

I'm level 54 so not exactly a new gamer, I'm talking about post-patch MAG :P

I'm in the Boards clan already as I think you'll find most people on the thread are. You're welcome to join that if you like.

I think I'm just going to have to re-spec and cut out the supressor. I'm running out of ammo way too often now. It might just be a case of getting used to it again, but it feels off for me at the mo'

the mines and claymores setup now is alot more realistic and is good because I dont like in aquisition i plant mines at the gate after running for ages then die and then have to do it time upon time.

looking forward to playing tonight after work

I'm in the Boards clan already as I think you'll find most people on the thread are. You're welcome to join that if you like.
    '

In that case whos the clan leader?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

mooneyd wrote: »
    In that case whos the clan leader?

Gunmonkey ie. Bubs78

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Gunmonkey ie. Bubs78

Yourself and NotorietyH can invite people to the clan since I promoted ye;)

I'm sickened that I can't play this game. Stupid student accom internet. Will try and ask the landlord to reset the bleeding thing again. I've been stuck on 34/35 for ages now

• Advertisement

mooneyd wrote: »
    the mines and claymores setup now is alot more realistic and is good because I dont like in aquisition i plant mines at the gate after running for ages then die and then have to do it time upon time.

looking forward to playing tonight after work

Yeah I think those fixes are good, like the gate fix and the one you mentioned. It's the tweaks to weapons that don't seem to have done much from my point of view anyway. I'm hoping it's just a case of me being sluggish in the afternoon. I never seem to play as well during the day!

EDIT: Yup looks like it was the supressor that was doing it, changed loadouts halfway through a game there and made a big difference. Machine gun has definitely been nerfed in a good or at least more realistic way. It's funny hearing the machinegunners confused as hell after you've killed them trying to figure out how they didn't kill ya easily :P

yea the LMG's were way too accurate

aaronh007, WolfForager or Bubs78 can ye please add em to your friends list so i can join the clan. my PSN id is glimmer_dan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I use the top MG, played a few rounds there and didn't notice much of a difference, i always thought it was pretty weak anyway.
    I have enough points to respec 3 times now since it costs less so gonna try out the battle rifle and shotgun i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mitchydkid

Is it worth getting the game bundle with earpiece?

EGriff wrote: »
    I use the top MG, played a few rounds there and didn't notice much of a difference, i always thought it was pretty weak anyway.
    I have enough points to respec 3 times now since it costs less so gonna try out the battle rifle and shotgun i think.

Shotgun is da bomb :)

Mitchydkid wrote: »
    Is it worth getting the game bundle with earpiece?
    You could probably get them cheaper separately. They used to have the official one for £20 on mymemory.co.uk but I couldn't find it just now when I looked. I would recommend getting the official headset over any other, it's much better feature wise (Unless you'd find another one more comfortable or something like that).

Finally, finally got my K/D ration back to 1.00! Had been down at .6 when I was around level 25 and have been slowly ut surely working my way back up. Did it after an epic game o Domination too, got 51 kills which I was well chuffed with. Have started using the Optical scope with my Assault rifle now, took a bit of getting used to, but I'm pretty effective with it now.

Still no headset which is a pain, but I'm going to be playing GoW collection and Heavy Rain mainly this weekend I think. If anyone does fancy a game of MAG and I'm online give me a shout. I won't be able to shout back sans-headset, but you get the idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Finally, finally got my K/D ration back to 1.00! Had been down at .6 when I was around level 25 and have been slowly ut surely working my way back up. Did it after an epic game o Domination too, got 51 kills which I was well chuffed with. Have started using the Optical scope with my Assault rifle now, took a bit of getting used to, but I'm pretty effective with it now.

Still no headset which is a pain, but I'm going to be playing GoW collection and Heavy Rain mainly this weekend I think. If anyone does fancy a game of MAG and I'm online give me a shout. I won't be able to shout back sans-headset, but you get the idea!

Optical scope with the rifle is the way I've been playing all the way through. Only certain times would I stray way and use the sniper...and I just got the 3rd type of sniper rifle after re-specing

I'm on this weekend after finally managing to get the landlord to reset the system. Will be on again after my dinner (7.30/8.00) if anyone wants a game, but I can see already that a few of ye are playing Heavy Rain.

And I think I was in the same Domination game with you, but I was one side of the place and you the other. Was madness down my end. Got a great grenade launcher shot where I took out 5 at once:D though which rocked.

• Advertisement

aaronh007 wrote: »
    And I think I was in the same Domination game with you, but I was one side of the place and you the other. Was madness down my end. Got a great grenade launcher shot where I took out 5 at once:D though which rocked.

It was chaotic on our end too, which is ho i racked up the 51 kills! I'd be shooting someone, they'd drop down dead and I'd kill the person that was standing behind them too. Was running and gunning like a maniac. I love the optical scope now, I just had to get used to not looking down the sights if I was close to someone, as that was throwing me off. Now I run and gun up close and aim for further away and it's working alright for me.

Advertisement