Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Goddam i was on the worst squad ever last night, 2 idiots would'nt shut up about how they loved blowing stuff up, who camped the assets waited for them to be repaired killed the eng then blow it up again, repeat process. the other 5 gods knows what they were up to but they definately were'nt going for the cooling towers. It was the Raven map, we'd the burn off towers and bunkers down inside 2 minutes and still lost the map. I lost count of the amount of times i turned off a cooling tower after clearing a room and then got mauled by 3-4 enemies as noone was backing me up, actually at one stage 1 of the 2 was with me going for pump controls in the room, then apparently someone fixed an enemy and he'd f'ed off, of course i got my ass handed to me once i went to switch off the cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I dunno whether to pick up MAG or BF:BC2. I need a new online shooter. Last one I really liked was killzone 2.

I wasn't mad about MW2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I dunno whether to pick up MAG or BF:BC2. I need a new online shooter. Last one I really liked was killzone 2.

I wasn't mad about MW2

It's a tough call. I'm the same the last one I really liked was Killzone 2, was talking about it last night actually. That and MAG are the only online game I've still played over a month since launch. Quit MW2 after a week or so, got sick of it. Haven't played Bad Company 2 though. Probably picking it up tomorrow, but I haven't even played the demo. All I can say is I love MAG and I'm not sick of it yet. They've been good at supporting it so far so I imagine there'll be some good DLC for it too.

The best thing is probably to look at videos for both and see which one you like the look of. I had no interest in MAG until I saw Giant Bomb's quick look (in which they weren't exactly playing properly) and I didn't have any interest in BC2 until I saw their quick look of the Beta. If you want to wait until Monday I can tell you what I think of both! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

NotorietyH wrote: »
    It's a tough call. I'm the same the last one I really liked was Killzone 2, was talking about it last night actually. That and MAG are the only online game I've still played over a month since launch. Quit MW2 after a week or so, got sick of it. Haven't played Bad Company 2 though. Probably picking it up tomorrow, but I haven't even played the demo. All I can say is I love MAG and I'm not sick of it yet. They've been good at supporting it so far so I imagine there'll be some good DLC for it too.

The best thing is probably to look at videos for both and see which one you like the look of. I had no interest in MAG until I saw Giant Bomb's quick look (in which they weren't exactly playing properly) and I didn't have any interest in BC2 until I saw their quick look of the Beta. If you want to wait until Monday I can tell you what I think of both! :P
    Bet u Monday it's BFBC2 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭decnug

Reached lvl 60 on SVER so gonna start again with Raven, looking to join a clan if people are still playing.
    PSN ID decnug

• Advertisement

I'll send ya an invite to the boards clan the next time I'm on MAG. Playing Bad Company 2 mainly this weekend I'd say, but will probably pop on to MAG at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭decnug

Cheers, been trying to play bad company 2 but keep getting disconnected

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Had some great games this weekend but some terrible ones too. I hate when someone wants to be squad leader but wont do anything in game. Was playing the aqua game type and the guy had the vehicle frago'd but we had to protect a bunker up the front cost us a ton of bonus points.

Poor squad leader im lucky to get 250 points good leader will boost that to 450-500.

Got battle field 2 today and i dont want to start it i got really into MAG again.

Mag patch and armour coming should balance it up a bit. You cant say Zipper dont listen to the players. They seem to be constantly tweaking the game. Says north america but im sure we all have to get it at the same time. The pre booking armour that caused all the problems with SVER being so powerfull at the start will be given out free to everyone as well, should balance it a bit. But i must admit it has been a lot more balanced lately ive started beating SVER on the odd occassion.

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/03/patch-alert-mag-v1-04-and-free-bonus-armor/

Gameplay
    • Fixed bug that made it possible for incapacitated players to be revived inside geometry (objectives, vehicles, walls, bridges, etc.).
    • Corrected “Kills at 120m” stat display bug.
    Weapons
    • Sniper rifles have been tuned to be less effective when they’re not scoped.
    • Slightly pushed out “effective” range of all short-ranged weapons (pistols, PDWs, shotguns, SMGs).
    Interface
    • Fixed error text “undefined Unnamed” and the appearance of a blue APC icon that appeared when a Squad Leader FRAGO’d an APC objective.
    Server
    • Significant anti-cheat improvement that minimizes and blocks several “lag pedal” device exploits.
    • Enhanced all queues to accept Zipper-activated “Directives” game states

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Double XP weekend 25th-28th.

• Advertisement

Not only double XP but also free DLC

Flashbangs, new light machine guns and uniforms. No sign of maps but they have more in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

So that's me playing MAG for a weekend solid. See you all then! :D Hopefully I can reach level 60 then.

I'm defo going to try and get back into it that weekend. Would love a few games but I might take that oppurtunity to switch factions as I'm at Level 60 with Raven now and would feel like I'd be wasting the double XP weekend. Argh! Decisions decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

could'nt get into this so gave up and moved on to bf2 instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

decnug wrote: »
    Reached lvl 60 on SVER so gonna start again with Raven, looking to join a clan if people are still playing.
    PSN ID decnug
    I'm defo going to try and get back into it that weekend. Would love a few games but I might take that oppurtunity to switch factions as I'm at Level 60 with Raven now and would feel like I'd be wasting the double XP weekend. Argh! Decisions decisions!
    What happens to your stats/awards when you start again, are they reset also? I mean the medals, ribbons, kill ratio, no. of plants/defuses/repairs etc?

cdb wrote: »
    What happens to your stats/awards when you start again, are they reset also? I mean the medals, ribbons, kill ratio, no. of plants/defuses/repairs etc?

You keep your stats as far as I know and I think you keep your medals etc. Not 100% sure. I'm going to double check it before I switch I think.

Its unlikely that you would lose them but i'd like to find out for sure before starting over. Don't think I'd bother if it meant losing the medals and ribbons. Collecting the chest candy is a game in itself :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

You keep your stats as far as I know and I think you keep your medals etc. Not 100% sure. I'm going to double check it before I switch I think.
    Its unlikely that you would lose them but i'd like to find out for sure before starting over. Don't think I'd bother if it meant losing the medals and ribbons. Collecting the chest candy is a game in itself :D

All explained here: http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/01/veteran-mode-an-explanation/
    01.27 2010
    Veteran Mode: An Explanation
    posted by Jeremy Dunham, January 27, 2010 4:43 pm

So we’ve told you that players who hit the cap at level 60 have the option to enable “Veteran Mode,” But what exactly does “Veteran Mode” mean? Glad you asked! Here’s how it all shakes down…

Once you hit level 60, you can activate Veteran Mode from the log-in screen.

Veteran Mode is essentially a way to start the MAG experience over again without losing your accomplishments. While Veteran Mode does reboot your character to Level 1, you won’t lose any of your already-earned medals, ribbons or statistics when making the move. Plus, despite the experience counter for your new character resetting to zero on the Rank screen where you level up, your lifetime XP continues to be tracked on the Stats page of your Barracks (unless you completely delete a character, then all stats go away completely and you have to start again).

The prompt for Veteran Mode once selected -- do it!

Why is Veteran Mode useful? For one, it allows you to switch PMCs to help you earn the gold trophies for reaching Level 60 with each faction (it’s optional, though, and you can still activate Veteran Mode and stay with the same PMC if you want). Another benefit is that you’ll get a permanent 10% XP bonus with every match – ensuring that you’ll level up quicker on your way to your next level cap. Veterans can be identified on the player screen by the gold insignia under the rank on their player profile card – with a number representing how many times you’ve become a veteran.

Your new Veteran character. Notice the gold insignia in the upper left?

And there you have it – an explanation of what Veteran mode is and how it works. One thing to remember, though, your experience bonus is applied after the completion of a match – where’s tacked on to your total experience for the round – should you quit the game before its completion the bonus experience will not be awarded.

See you next time!

Double XP weekend 25th-28th.

Double XP was active last night - it is now much easier to level up with some big XP hauls. It is running all weekend.
    Also the numbers playing were well up so there was less waiting around for games to begin.
    There is a 'trooper pack' (DLC) available from the PSN store. As mentioned before, the new pack includes flash-bangs, a weapon for each faction and some minor changes to the armor and best of all its free!

Going to try to get a few games over the weekend. think I'll have to switch factions, which pains me no end but I have to do it! Can't pass up on double XP!

• Advertisement

I finally reached level 60 with Raven last night with some double XP help and after thinking it over for some time decided to change factions to Valor.

With the 10% bonus and the double XP, it was fairly easy to jump levels initially and while it may still be too early to say I'm not sure I made the right choice joining them to be honest. Raven teams (in general) seemed to be well organised with more effective weapons and armor in comparison.

There was always the option to join SVER who seem to be fairly strong if not dominant overall but, to me at least, it seemed that would be just taking the easy option. There is also the thought that Zipper will keep bringing out patches to further balance the gameplay which should work in Valors favour ;) I guess we'll see. Oh and just to confirm, the veterancy mode works as described, you keep all your medals/ribbons/stats.

I may switch tonight then. Could make a fair bit of progress with the double XP. Was thinking of switching to Valor too. Will come back to Raven in the end though.

Ive always planned to switch once i reach 60 but not untill then. Kind of starting to like Raven now as players get better is is much more enjoyable.

Will use the double XP to get me closer to 60.

Was playing with the new gun last night its the same only very slightly increased fire rate.

I'm enjoying the double XP weekend. Went from Level 11-14 in one game of sabotage :P

Valor is atrocious though. The weapons and stuff are alright, and I'm just getting used to MAG again but no one acts as a team in Valor it seems. I'm seen loads of teamkilling and instantly people trying t kick the squad leader because they want the leadership points etc. Luckily I seem to be levelling nice and quick so won't have to stick with them for long. You should get two gold trophies for putting up with playing as Valor until level 60 :P

....You should get two gold trophies for putting up with playing as Valor until level 60 :P
    Haha, how very true! There are some dreadful team players around. One medic in particular last night wouldn't move 3m from his camping spot to heal his team mates! Perhaps he had battle fatigue :)

Though its not all bad, we absolutely annihilated S.V.E.R in a game of Domination, we were constantly on the attack and pushed them hard. The faction has definite strengths. Looking forward to getting on again later. Is there a Valor clan. If there is I would appreciate an invitation, otherwise we can always set one up.

PSN: CDB-Whoop

Haha, how very true! There are some dreadful team players around. One medic in particular last night wouldn't move 3m from his camping spot to heal his team mates! Perhaps he had battle fatigue :)

Though its not all bad, we absolutely annihilated S.V.E.R in a game of Domination, we were constantly on the attack and pushed them hard. The faction has definite strengths. Looking forward to getting on again later. Is there a Valor clan. If there is I would appreciate an invitation, otherwise we can always set one up.

PSN: CDB-Whoop

I'll set one up there sure and see who else is around. I'll send an invite there.

How is the double XP dished out ? Ive had a few games now and im still getting 10xp for healing and 5 for a kill. Played 1 game where i got 750xp and it looked like a got double for directives complete but thats only happened once ?? i may be just missing something.

How is the double XP dished out ? Ive had a few games now and im still getting 10xp for healing and 5 for a kill. Played 1 game where i got 750xp and it looked like a got double for directives complete but thats only happened once ?? i may be just missing something.

It doubles it at the end of the round I think. I've had games where I've got 600 points but end up with about 1400 at the end of the game between double XP and the 10% veteran bonus.

Thats it alright, but i cant explain why i got 264xp in 1 game !!! I have never gotten a score as low as 132 since the training missions !!!

• Advertisement

Whats the best weapons load outs i respeced again and messed up all my weapons getting new ones. The top assault rifle isnt great and has less ammo. The shotgun is pretty useless. and i spent 5 points on a seeking rocket launcher which isnt great becasue by the time its locked on you have been sitting in the open for too long.

Advertisement