Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ankh98

Whats the best weapons load outs i respeced again and messed up all my weapons getting new ones. The top assault rifle isnt great and has less ammo. The shotgun is pretty useless. and i spent 5 points on a seeking rocket launcher which isnt great becasue by the time its locked on you have been sitting in the open for too long.

I'm using the SE machine gun (the one that came with the update last week), fully stabilised and the like. Like you i tried the upgrade of the rocket launcher and didn't find it to be worth the points it cost. A grenade of some sort, depends on your play tactics which you use and a med kit (i have this in every load out, it's too useful to leave out). Also the upgrade side-arm, the machine gun pistol is pretty damn handy as well.

I read somewhere, that the shotgun is best used in the last half of domination, when the game comes down to the enclosed pump rooms. Seeing as it's a spray type weapon if you pump off enough shots into a room full of enemies you're bound to get a couple of decent hits on them, so with that in mind i've been trying the shotgun with either a flash bang or poison grenade. Still haven't had much luck, but then again i didn't use it too much last night was having too much fun with the machine gun in the pump rooms! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The Playstation Blog had some interesting tips last nite regarding MAG

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/03/30/everything-you-need-to-know-to-play-mag/

Dont know why this info was not put on the instruction booklet (especially all the squad/platoon leader stuff).

Some good info there.

Going to try for my first squad leader role tonight, wish me luck :)

You couldn't do much worse than the first time i gave it a go!!!

I've got the hang of it since. No blue on blue incidents now. Unless some dumbass doesn't hear me call it out and goes hightailing it into the explosive rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

The silver trophy for winning a match as squad leader must be one of the easiest trophies to achieve in the whole game. Apply for squad leader and be sure to check if there is a yellow line in the icon beside your name as the game loads - this indicates you've been selected as squad leader.

After that its up to you how you want to lead but in general terms its best to set a Frago for starters - either on A or B in sabotage or the bunker in Aquisition.

Hit the select button for your options. You've limited abilities as squad leader in Sabotage but can call in a mortar barrage & UAV in Aquisition.

Even if you do very little once you win the match while you are leader you earn a nice shiny silver trophy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The Playstation Blog had some interesting tips last nite regarding MAG

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/03/30/everything-you-need-to-know-to-play-mag/

Dont know why this info was not put on the instruction booklet (especially all the squad/platoon leader stuff).

Some good info there.

Its quite easy just hit select bring up the map go over your bunker (if defendeing) and hit X it will frago it. Just keep an eye on it as sometimes it will jump off the bunker back to the vehicle.

Hitting R1 while in the map will bring up attacking options .

• Advertisement

Its quite easy just hit select bring up the map go over your bunker (if defendeing) and hit X it will frago it. Just keep an eye on it as sometimes it will jump off the bunker back to the vehicle.

Hitting R1 while in the map will bring up attacking options .

If the frago is completed. Say you had the gate frago'd and the gate got destroyed and repaired, the frago will reset. You will need to reallocate the FRAGO.

There was a new patch available last night - now up to version 1.05

Any sign of new DLC like maps or game types. They need to do something as it has gone a bit stale. Splinter cell conviction has taken over for this week anyway.

I don't know to be honest but new maps and weapons would be a welcome bonus alright - maybe even another double-XP weekend :D

As it is it seems to have a decent enough following and the servers are still fairly well populated with players - so I'm sure additional DLC would be well received by both dedicated and casual MAG players alike. Fingers crossed I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭theShawzer

Played MAG last night for the first time and I can honestly say it's one of the worst games i've ever played

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

theShawzer wrote: »
    Played MAG last night for the first time and I can honestly say it's one of the worst games i've ever played

Apparently everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

Apparently everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

That's what forums are for

Would be nice if you offered some feedback as to why you don't like it, otherwise your inital comment could be described as trolling.

Ok graphics are rubbish, audio is rubbish, the grenades which are very powerful sound like a small fire cracker. You shoot at somebody point blank for a few seconds and he just soaks it all up. Kept spawning a mile away from objectives. There small things but would have made a big difference.

It's just for a game that should be great it just disappoints big time. I think Battlefield offers a much better experience

Ok graphics are rubbish, audio is rubbish, the grenades which are very powerful sound like a small fire cracker. You shoot at somebody point blank for a few seconds and he just soaks it all up. Kept spawning a mile away from objectives. There small things but would have made a big difference.

It's just for a game that should be great it just disappoints big time. I think Battlefield offers a much better experience

How long have you played it for? I'd say 4/5 people who have posted on the thread in the past and love the game hated it at first, hell even i did. Once you start going up through the levels though you start to appreciate what a good game it is.

Maybe someone like NotorietyH or Gothpunk can post with a better detailed defense of the game!;)

I played it for a good while but it just frustrated me more and more. It's not like I didn't want to like it, I just didn't like it.

One thing that I did like about it tho was there seemed to be a lot of players using headsets which is always a good thing.

The spawn points are far away because your not encouraged to die all the time. But once you unlock the domination games they are closer to the action.

If they are using heavy armour they can soak up a few shots. Use a more power full gun or go for head shots.

Its such a good game.

MAG is a completely different game to Battlefield so you can't really compare the two. It can be quite difficult initially as your weapons are deliberately underpowered and its likely the opposition has earned better weapons, armor and probably increased health, if you've played Call of Duty you'll be familiar with the perks system - but it is well worth investing more of your time in the game at least to get past the initial steep learning curve.

You mentioned the widespread use of headsets and this in my opinion is where MAG shines. It is a team game and success is more often than not reliant on good team play. If you've read the earlier posts in the thread you'll see the healing and resuscitation classes mentioned fairly frequently. Level up and unlock these classes and you'll see a different side to the game. Its not for everyone but I wouldn't dismiss it without giving it a good trashing first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

New game mode and maps paid DLC coming in a few weeks.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/08/new-mag-gametype-and-maps-coming-in-interdiction-dlc-on-june-2/

Sounds good, pretty much a Conquest/Zones type mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Probably been asked a dozen times on this thread, so apologise if this is like a broken record.

Is it too late to Join MAG? What I mean by this, is has it gone too hardcore yet?

I bought Warhawk when it was on special offer, but by the time I got there I was getting my ass handed to me on a regular basis. If I get mag am I going to spend my whole time just respawnging just to be shot down again and again and again.

• Advertisement

I dont think its got too hardcore. It has settled a lot since the new users left after they realised run and gun isnt an option.

You go through some training missions first before you are left into big games they bring your skill level up. you do a basic training for buttons then some death matches then some rob the intel then some rob the vehicle missions then once you are levelled up enough you get into the 256 player games.

I wouldnt worry about it too much there is enough going on for you to blend into the back ground untill you find your feet.

Cant wait for the new maps i haven't played in a while got a bit burnt out on it so it would be good to get back into some new maps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

sarumite wrote: »
    Probably been asked a dozen times on this thread, so apologise if this is like a broken record.

Is it too late to Join MAG? What I mean by this, is has it gone too hardcore yet?

I bought Warhawk when it was on special offer, but by the time I got there I was getting my ass handed to me on a regular basis. If I get mag am I going to spend my whole time just respawnging just to be shot down again and again and again.

No.
    But it will take you a while to get to grips with what is going on when playing 256 player matches.
    It's important that you use a headset when playing this game.

Also noticed a patch was released today: http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/06/patch-alert-mag-v1-06/

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

June23rd for the new DLC
    Just €7.99 - pretty reasonably priced compared to others
    http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/08/mag-interdiction-dlc-on-june-22

RikD wrote: »
    June23rd for the new DLC
    Just €7.99 - pretty reasonably priced compared to others
    http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/08/mag-interdiction-dlc-on-june-22
    Excellent value considering it includes a new game type. reckon it will give MAG a new lease of life. I'm looking forward to it and will definitely get it when it is released. Only thing is the DLC for RedDeadRedemption is on the way and will be launched around the same time.

MAG DLC is due out today. Details here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

cdb wrote: »
    MAG DLC is due out today. Details here

Today in the US I think, tomorrow here.

Double XP too this weekend. :D

I played the medal of honor beta and then BFBC 2 then MAG yesterday i hadnt picked up MAG in about 2 month id had forgotten how good it is and how much better than the other shooters out there. Cant wait for this DLC.

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Today in the US I think, tomorrow here.
    Reports on the MAG forum said Malaysia were the first to get it yesterday afternoon but there was no one in the servers to play the new interdiction gametype so not much use. But yeah, you are right, the issue was that while the DLC was released yesterday the store hadn't been updated so it wasn't available - at 6 o'clock anyway so it should be there now today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Why do I always regret selling my games... I will have to pick this game up again now as it was my favourite FPS game ever...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Okay I bought the DLC so if you can try and drag me off WoW to play this with you guys ^^. It's double XP this weekend, yummy.

Advertisement