Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Just been announced on Zippers twitter that they are doing a new "MAG Beta program" next week. Hopefully it will get a few more players back playing because MAG is a really enjoyable game. So this sounds good.

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/08/mag-moves-plus-our-new-beta-program/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 _mark_08_

Im on mag every night, and think its 1 of the best games going on the ps3:)

so if anyone wants to add me and have a few games

my user name is: markbren1988

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They told us tonight that MAG will be Move compatible !!! Not sure if it will be controller V move like Socom will be but ive a feeling that is what the beta is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I can't see me using that. It's taken me long enough to bond with the controls in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ankh98

Well this has sucked me back in and what's described in the above link for the beta sounds interesting. The carnage with all tree factions on one map sounds like it could be great.

Maybe teamwork will also come back into the game again...

Edit: PSN id. Dishco (for those wanting to add me add away)

• Advertisement

Some more info on the new MAG game mode "Escalation".
    Simply put, Escalation is a simultaneous three-faction battle for resources that supports up to 96 players, or one 32-man platoon for each PMC. The ultimate goal for each Escalation map is to earn the maximum number of points before time runs out or, if time does expire, to have the most points overall. Whichever team meets this goal wins the map and some additional Shadow War points for the cause.

Points are gained as Raven, SVER and Valor vie for control of wind, thermal and solar energy objectives — but it’s not as easy as just “running to all your objectives” and holding them until the end. Instead, Escalation is made up of two phases:

For the initial phase, all three teams fight it out to hold the map’s A, B and C objectives — but when any of the three teams gains control of two of these objectives, the second phase kicks off. In this second phase, the original three objectives are locked and a brand-new fourth objective (D) is opened up. The mission now challenges the PMC that took the two objectives originally to defend D against both attacking groups as long as possible; if the D objective is lost, then play reverts back to phase 1 again and the war continues on until we have a winner.

In practice, Escalation is a ton of fun and has been the subject of countless post-game “wow” conversations internally here at Zipper. Of course, one of the main reasons our reactions have been so strong — outside the obvious madness that comes with all three factions battling it out at once — are the maps that go along with it. All three Escalation environments are all unlike any that have been seen in MAG before. Whether it’s the sunny beaches of “Isla de Magma,” the mountains of “Silverback Ridge,” or the desert wasteland of “Radiant Barrens,” the locales are as fascinating as they are colossal. Besides, any MAG game mode that lets you fight out in the heart of a sweltering volcano gets automatic fun points — it’s just a fact of life.

To check out Escalation for yourself, be sure to download the new MAG Beta client from the PlayStation Store for free starting August 24. Keep in mind that you will have to have the retail version of MAG in order for the client to work and that the time and access to the beta may be limited, so you won’t want to miss it.

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/08/mag-escalation-a-closer-look/

That sounds mental. PMC's working side by side for a battle, then back to business.

More info on the Beta and Character Customization.
    To begin with, the MAG Beta will support up to three different character slots per PSN ID so that players can try their hand at any PMC without having to start over again. Please note that when you boot up the beta for the first time your existing MAG character will be auto-copied to “Slot A.” However, this copied character is now completely independent of your original character and he exists solely in the beta universe. In other words, whatever happens to the beta character after the copy process does not affect your character in the retail game.

Another new feature premiering in the MAG Beta is the increase in level cap. Whereas your character stopped advancing at level 60 in the retail version, the beta now allows him to keep going until level 70. Pretty sweet, we know.

Of course, the biggest difference you’ll find in the new MAG Beta versus the retail game is the progression system. Broken into two main parts, the improved progression offers both an in-game economy and an enhanced skill tree. Combined, they allow players to create and upgrade their alter egos in ways that weren’t possible in MAG before.

MAG’s in-game economy works just like a storefront; Currency Points (CP) are earned by netting kills and completing objectives and are then used to make in-game purchases which outfit and equip your character. Especially important is the fact that weapons and gear are no longer unlocked via the skill tree, because they are now unlocked via your character’s level and Currency Points. Once characters have achieved the level necessary to unlock a weapon or gear item, that item is then made available for purchase in the “Supply Depot.”

The Supply Depot is a new menu item where all Currency Point purchases are made. Here, items that are currently available for procurement are shown with their CP cost highlighted next to them, while items not yet accessible are shown grayed out. Items that can be bought here include everything from most weapons and gear (divided into classes for easy navigation) to wearable goodies like hats, uniforms, and glasses. Plus, as an added benefit for players who may not like their choices as much as they’d first hoped, all items can be “returned” to the store for a percentage of their original cost. Oh, and don’t worry if you don’t have enough CP to buy what you need just right off the bat — CP doesn’t max out, so you can continue to earn the points even after you hit the level 70 cap and buy what you want when you can afford it.

Because of the beta’s new CP setup, the means of upgrading your character has been enhanced to support it. For example, players no longer have to save skill points to unlock skills since all skills now cost only 1 Skill Point to unlock (or more specifically, you can add one new upgrade with every “level up”). Sure, each individual upgrade may be smaller but now you can control your pace and end more specialized and powerful in the end.

In addition, we’ve also introduced a number of extra skills to the tree. “Improved Repair Speeds, Health Kit Recharge Rates” and “Sprint Speed” are just a few of the abilities you can expect to see for the very first time. Plus, we’ve categorized skills into classes for better navigation. In fact, here are the meta-categories you have at your disposal:

Assault
    Marksman
    Close Quarters
    Spec Ops
    Medical
    Engineering
    Athleticism
    Vehicles
    Resistances

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/08/mag-character-customization-the-new-standard/

It sort of feels like they're changing the whole layout after so many people got use to it. Thankfully its a Beta and people have the chance to say what they like and dont like.

Zipper must have changed their ways for the better. Anyone remember how they never updated or did anything with the SOCOM's on PS2? Fair play Zipper :)

I don't want mention how many hours it took me (I know how touchy some people are around here about that) but I'm finally settled on my 'career path' and finalised loadouts that I can't see me changing for a long time. Being a ninja is my calling!

Then again, the new set up will change everything so ... :/

Reminder: New MAG Beta Tomorrow

posted by Jeremy Dunham, August 23, 2010 1:00 pm
    Hey everyone! This is just a friendly head’s up that our new MAG Beta program launches tomorrow, August 24, on the PlayStation Store. All you have to do to participate is download it when it becomes available, put your MAG disc into the PlayStation 3, and start the beta client from the “Game” section of the XMB.
    Please Note: You MUST have a MAG retail disc in your PlayStation 3 in order for the MAG Beta client to work

Once you’ve logged on to the server and your pre-existing MAG character has been copied to its universe (don’t worry, the copy-over won’t affect your main character), you can then access our beta server in two separate sessions per weekday — with each session lasting four hours apiece every Monday through Friday. Listed below are the session times for multiple time zones.
    Session 1
    • Hawaii: 5am-9am
    • Alaska: 7am-11am
    • Pacific: 8am-12pm
    • Mountain: 9am-1pm
    • Central: 10am-2pm
    • Eastern: 11am-3pm
    • GMT: 3pm-7pm
    Session 2
    • Hawaii: 1pm-5pm
    • Alaska: 3pm-7pm
    • Pacific: 4pm-8pm
    • Mountain: 5pm-9pm
    • Central: 6pm-10pm
    • Eastern: 7pm-11pm
    • GMT: 11pm-3am

We will limit the number of players that can access the beta environment for the first few days of launch to track stability and increase that player limit as we progress. If you get a message that the server is full, try back again later!
    Now that you’re here, there are a number of areas that we’d love for you to test:
    • An increased level cap
    • The new economy system
    • Our revamped skill tree
    To deliver feedback and report bugs, visit our official MAG forums at forums.mag.com. Go to the “MAG Beta Program 2010″ subsection and choose to discuss your experience with fellow fans in the “Beta General Discussion” board, or describe any problems you may be having in the “Beta Issues and Bug Reports” board.
    During this testing period, we’re looking for as much feedback as possible — specifically in regards to the new Economy and Skills systems; including…
    Economy feedback items
    • Basic pricing of items — is it too cheap or too expensive?
    • Level requirements for items — is it too low or high?
    • Basic usability and layout — do you like/dislike it and why?
    Skill feedback items
    • Do any skills seem overpowered or underpowered?
    • Skill placement – any skill branches too late/early in a tree?
    Escalation Game-type
    • Is it fun? If it isn’t, why not? If it is, why is it?
    On behalf of everyone at Zipper Interactive, thank you for your time and participation in the MAG Beta program. We hope you have fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I have to say, i think this game is ridiculously good value for what you pay for it, 7 months after release and they're giving us free DLC, awesome.

I have to say, i think this game is ridiculously good value for what you pay for it, 7 months after release and they're giving us free DLC, awesome.

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but i'd reckon that once the latest beta is done with this will become the latest paid for DLC. If it's as big as it looks to be from reading bits about it, i'd say it'll be more than the last paid for DLC (Interdiction pack) which i didn't shell out for yet as the numbers playing it seem to be extremely low.

Hopefully i'm wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Have to agree with you here, its one game I keep coming back to month after month. The fact that Zipper are continually ironing out the bugs and supporting the game with additional content helps make it one of the more enjoyable and solid games on the block. Looking forward to seeing what the Beta has to offer - even if the server times for GMT players are not exactly ideal.

PSN: CDB-Whoop (Valor if anyone is interested in joining forces)

Edit: Wouldn't be surprised if it becomes DLC though there should be some concession for those who shelled out for Interdiction alright.

Does anyone know when our store will be updated for this. Tomorrow, I'm guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just picked the game up on the cheap for the second time. I was really into it for a couple of months after launch but got sucked into Bad Company 2 which drew me away from it. Have things changed much since then?

A fair bit. The new Beta is released today I think to decide how the game will run in future. Not a bad day to get MAG :)

... I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's good that the game is doing the beta now, mmo sometimes have continuing betas even after release to continue to improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

New beta , sounds like time to get bk into this game really liked it when it came out but havent played in awhile you guys have a clan for the beta or the full game I'v being playing with a mixed clan of yanks and english.would be good to play with an Irish squad.

Beta is there now store has been updated

!!!!!RUNNING UP THE STAI....

• Advertisement

36mb PSN download followed by a 33mb in game update followed by a 907mb update !!! Not sure ill get in before it shuts at 7.

Oooooh. This could take a while...

EDIT: Yeah, I ain't gonna get getting on today. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Grayditch wrote: »
    Oooooh. This could take a while...

EDIT: Yeah, I ain't gonna get getting on today. :(

Doubt we'll have this before the 11o'clock session...:mad:

12%...

High chance of errors and crashes, too.

1 hour later im at 10% so i guess i wont even make it on for the 3am shut down :mad:

Frozen at 13%. Ugh. I know it's a Beta, but if you can't even download it...

70%...

Will be on at 11...woohoo

F1ngers wrote: »
    70%...

Will be on at 11...woohoo

I hate you .....22% :mad:

I hate you .....22% :mad:

96%, gonna get on for 20 or 30 mins.

They see me downloading, they hatin'...:P