Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

You guys are confusing the **** out of me... one minute you're saying it's the bee's knees and the next that it's a disappointment! I don't have my PS3 at the moment due to exams and knowing that I wouldn't study if I had it so I can't try it myself.

I guess the question is, how many of you will be rushing out to buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I'll be buying it! Not rushing, but i will be buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Let's just say I wasn't impressed at the start but it grew on me when I learned how to play it, i.e. no "I" in team. And team play will keep you, your team mates alive and you will be victorious.

It's on my list of backups if I can't play the waiting game for Battlefield Bad Company 2

I see it as a very marmite game. You'll either like or not

Can someone tell me how the hell I lay down so I can provide cover fire (snipe) from distance, I can crouch but not lie down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Hold triangle for a second or two. Get the better scopes also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The graphic's were not particularly impressive at all, the sound is poor the customisation is a wee bit rubbish, the servers were awful when i was in the beta. it barely feels like your shooting anything at all i feel, which is kind of hard to explain, basically the weapons\gunplay dont seem very authentic. the maps were not very good.

im not expecting a COD sort of game, but as ive said before it all just seems similar. it, as ive said before, feels like a bad mix of Enemy Territory, Bad Company and Flashpoint. Something in particular reminds me of enemy territory which i didn't much like.

In an earlier beta, i found that i could be hitting people with the rocket launcher or hitting them in the face and they'd still be alive and then you and others are getting picked off from seeminly impossible places. Most of my qualms are in themselves minor ones, Graphics dont make a game for example, but altogether it doesn't sit well. And if the beta updates are anything to go by too, any updates or patches will be large and very very slow.

It's mostly just dull. Great in theory, poor in execution.

I hope it's fixed, I looked forward to this game, as i unfortunately did for Haze(it's not nearly as bad as that game thankfully). Plus my ps3 as gone untouched in favour of the xbox in the past 2 weeks. ill go back to finish saboteur and AC 2 but only as the time i would have had playing MAG shall be freed up. I'll be willing to give it another chance if my issues with the game have been addressed

Edit, the controls are rubbish too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

=I see it as a very marmite game. You'll either like or not

+1

But its hard to to eat a Marmite Sandwich (MAG) when you have just eaten and tasted a BIG MAC or MAG (BFBC2) ;)

**see what i,ve done there see , I am so fuc*ing good ** lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I got to about level 5 and gave up, controls were annoying, sound and graphics very sub-par, very hard to stay alive (did not see one person revived during my games), too long in between action, too long to get into games, equipment/loadout too limited (I know you can unlock more, but should be some options at least to start with). It seemed like a poor copy of Battlefield BC to me, albeit with more players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

^ agreed , very hard to stay alive when no-one revives you.
    frustrating ! you can call medics , backup etc with the d-pad conrols

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

mcgovern wrote: »
    It seemed like a poor copy of Battlefield BC to me, albeit with more players.
    eddhorse wrote: »
    ^ agreed , very hard to stay alive when no-one revives you.

Did either of yous play with mics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I can kind of see where the Battlefield:Bad Company comparisons are coming from. They are both large scale shooters, both excellent, but both completely different in play style and gunplay. Battlefield BC is COD with skill actually required on a larger scale with vehicles. MAG is SOCOM (so even more skill required) in first person with 256 players and very objective orientated teamplay.

I'm in the Battlefield BC2 beta as well, and I can tell you I've had a lot of fun playing it. However, every second or third game you'll play against a side who will camp in your spawn point with their tanks spawn killing you to high heaven. There's pretty much nothing you can do about it. Barely anyone has a mic so communicating and looking for leadership/teamwork can be hard. Whilst it's cool that you can spawn on members of your squad, what else does the game do to really make you work together as a team and stick together when taking objectives?

MAG suffers from the same problem regarding mics, but I've found that there are definitely more people with mics compared to BFBC2, particularly people willing to lead. MAG rewards you so much for going for objectives and reviving your team mates. It's such a rewarding game when you play with a well functioning squad. I haven't been spawn killed once on MAG due to the design of the maps. (I really hate spawn killing.)

I'm in the NeoGAF clan and I've had some amazing games with a full squad. We were slaughtering anyone that came near objectives when we were defending, and on some games while attacking we won in about 3 or 4 minutes. I hardly ever had to bleed out as every member of my squad had resuscitation kits so I was never out of the action for more than 20 seconds, usually I was revived within 5-10. Even when I was playing with a half GAF, half randomer squad I had loads of fun, as people will follow your lead when you're a squad leader who knows what to do.

The game is even better when you're playing against a tough opponent, laying down smoke grenades to provide cover, flushing them out with grenades/nerve gas etc and really testing your team work. I played a few Domination games with GAF and we were slaughtered half the time, but it was so much fun as we were working together and we tried our best. We came so close to victory every time only to be outsmarted (or in the case of the SVER maps, fell victim to the fact that their maps are unbalanced when you're playing as Raven.)

I've never played a game like the Domination type game in MAG. It really feels like a battlefield, all hell breaks loose, air strikes coming down, blowing up objectives, nerve gas, taking out bunkers to force the enemy back - no game has a thing on MAG in this respect. However, the game requires dedication, skill, teamwork and patience - something which I think the majority of FPS players are lacking. MAG is made by the same people who made the SOCOM games - and I think it shows in what is required of the player. The SOCOM games aren't for everybody but they are highly popular with a subset of gamers.

If you're just looking for team deathmatch than it's likely MAG isn't for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

The spawn points are set up far away for a reason, as you are ment to be part of a squad. You could in theory play the full game without bleeding out once if your team heals you. Thats half the point. If you run off on your own you will get killed and no one can help you if you stick with your mission and squad you will have a much better experience.

I had the same stuff with SOCOM people crying that its too hard. If they cant run around getting 25+kills for themselves then they have no interest.

You also need to understand what a BETA actually is, its a testing phase if you have problems with hit boxes etc then you report it and they fix it. A beta is not a demo. If people dont report problems they cant improve the game. If guns dont feel "real" then report it and they can fix these issues.

I still dont understand how guns that a developer has invented for a game dont feel authentic ??? :confused:

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Did either of yous play with mics?

Yes i do, and i know you can call for medics etc but as you know sometimes no one comes to your aid, depending on your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

eddhorse wrote: »
    Yes i do, and i know you can call for medics etc but as you know sometimes no one comes to your aid, depending on your team.

Well here's a tip then. When the match starts and you see a bunch of guys running off with a white cross beside their name, stick with them. Better still, if you find a guy with a white cross and he also has a mic then stick to him like glue.

From experience of doing this I've never failed to not be resuscitated. It is as equally important to always know your proximity to medics as it is to be on the lookout for the enemy. It's also worth becoming a medic yourself, the XP rewards are pretty high (allowing you to level fast) and the more medics the better. Like GothPunk, I've played in squads where everyone was a medic and we were virtually unstoppable.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Is the beta finished already? I thought it was at 7pm.

Havent played it in ages, finished updating, started the game and im stuck at the character management screen with a news feed on the left and a blank box highlighted on the right and press circle for licence terms.

I have missed it have I? :p

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Well here's a tip then. When the match starts and you see a bunch of guys running off with a white cross beside their name, stick with them. Better still, if you find a guy with a white cross and he also has a mic then stick to him like glue.

From experience of doing this I've never failed to not be resuscitated. It is as equally important to always know your proximity to medics as it is to be on the lookout for the enemy. It's also worth becoming a medic yourself, the XP rewards are pretty high (allowing you to level fast) and the more medics the better. Like GothPunk, I've played in squads where everyone was a medic and we were virtually unstoppable.

Cool thanks for the advice ! Clear and concise and very useful.
    Im getting there with the medic route, first aid kit and resusitation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

can you still download the beta?

budgemook wrote: »
    can you still download the beta?

Nope, beta be closed sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

MAG is realeased today. Is it out over here?

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    MAG is realeased today. Is it out over here?

Friday methinks...though I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Bah, load of pox, whats wrong with a world wide date?

• Advertisement

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Bah, load of pox, whats wrong with a world wide date?

I really have no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

US get it today we get it Friday.

Everyone getting it our are ye pissed after the Beta?

RAIN wrote: »

I'm still unsure cos while I would like it, I'm in student accommodation and as such my internet connection is terrible at my peak gaming times 7-11, due to people downloading stuff.

I'd love to get the game because I think its a brilliant idea to get people using teamwork to win instead of standard rambo stuff, but I'm not sure I'd get to play it as often as I would like...:(

Feck it I'll buy it...See ye all online Friday:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

RAIN wrote: »

Me is given it a miss ...BFBC2 (when released) will take over my Life , so no point !

Well i'm getting something this friday and it sure as hell won't be ME2, so MAG it is :D

EDIT: Actually has anyone seen any reviews? It's out today in the states yet no site appears to have reviewed it yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

EDIT: Actually has anyone seen any reviews? It's out today in the states yet no site appears to have reviewed it yet.

This is why there are no reviews...yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I have MAG in front of me and there was an embargo until yesterday which would have effected reviews. On top of that, the little note I have says the servers weren't actually switched on until yesterday too, so any disks sent to journo's didn't do much until yesterday. As was mentioned, it's also hard to review a game with 256-MP modes when only a handfull of people are in a server...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I have MAG in front of me

Yoink... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Don't you need to get to level ten before you can play in the 256 player matches? Reckon that should be part of any decent review, no doubt we'll see plenty rushed out soon enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭J-W

Any of you lads in clan's for this already, since communication is so Important I figure I better find lads that speak my language , and no that does not include "american"

I cant really guarantee the commitment most clans want I'm only a part timer and have to go abroad for a month here and there with work

Advertisement