Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

The MAG blog has updated with information about the day one patch MAG will be getting, it sounds great! My personal favourite - you can now use your knife during a reload animation, yes! Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Lowered XP requirements for levels 2 thru 4.

Was actually just thinking about this today, how much of a pain it would be to specialize as a medic and try to get the resuscitate ability quickly without wasting level credits on upgrading weapons.

Lowering the XP requirements for the early levels will make it a lot easier to quickly get the resuscitate ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Was actually just thinking about this today, how much of a pain it would be to specialize as a medic and try to get the resuscitate ability quickly without wasting level credits on upgrading weapons.

Lowering the XP requirements for the early levels will make it a lot easier to quickly get the resuscitate ability.

Thats pretty handy. I'm looking to become a medic in this as I am next to worthless as a front line grunt...always dying

I was pretty unspectacular as a sniper providing cover too so, medic is my only real option

aaronh007 wrote: »
    medic is my only real option

You wouldn't think it would be good, but it actually added a completely new dimension to the FPS genre for me. I'd pretty much go into battle with nothing but smoke grenades, the lightest armour (for greater endurance when sprinting) and my medkit.

At certain bottle necks in the map, having medics keeping everyone alive to hold the line makes a world of difference as dying and spawning a few minutes back will allow the enemy to push forward.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    At certain bottle necks in the map, having medics keeping everyone alive to hold the line makes a world of difference as dying and spawning a few minutes back will allow the enemy to push forward.

One of my main reasons for choosing to go down the medic route.

I am useless going in as a grunt...useless. So what better than helping the other grunts stay alive, thus helping your team complete the objectives and ultimately win...

Though I must say when I first started playing the MAG beta as a medic I didn't know how to heal anyone but myself, so the poor guy dying had to watch me taunt him as I healed myself as he lay there...

It was funny and frustrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

On Friday will it be in shops or is it going to be download only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

It'll be in the shops. If you had to download the whole thing from the PSN servers you wouldn't get to play it for about a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

IGN Uk Review. Seems a bit early to have a review, let alone the UK team to do it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Got a price in HMV:

€52 for game only
    €80 game plus headset.

Bit pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Looks like i won't have enough €€€ to buy it this weekend :'(

• Advertisement

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Got a price in HMV:

€52 for game only
    €80 game plus headset.

Bit pricey.

Looks like I'll be walking around town to find the best price then

Although I do have a €20 gift card for GAME....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Ive usually found HMV cheaper than most places. I know i wont be trying gamestop for it anyway, they prob charge ya a kidney or something.

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Ive usually found HMV cheaper than most places. I know i wont be trying gamestop for it anyway, they prob charge ya a kidney or something.

Pint of blood last time.... I try a few places, GAME, HMV, Smyths, Xtravision, Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

rizzla wrote: »
    IGN Uk Review. Seems a bit early to have a review, let alone the UK team to do it first.

Its a big farce really isnt it. It seems like its based on a one day event on London and the beta.

Gamesradar have a more sensible attitude to it.

Gamesradar stance on MAG review
    gamesradar wrote:

The embargo for MAG reviews lifts tomorrow (5pm GMT) and most folk will gladly be posting them, and no doubt you'll come to GamesRadar to, amongst other things, check out our Super Review, right? Well, erm, we won't have one tomorrow. But before you resign yourself to a day of stalking that ex you had back in high school on Facebook, hear us out.

We went to the same review event as everyone else and really wanted to deliver a verdict on MAG like the other magazines/websites will. But the truth is, we feel said review event didn’t give an accurate representation of what MAG is actually like – or what type of experience you’d have in this online-only FPS.

Although when in one of the points in the page they knocked the game for not having a single player mode i lost a lot of respect for the writer. Warhawk, Battlefield, MAG, Fat Princess (to an extent FP), are all up front and very clear about not being single player games. To be fair its like knocking Fifa as it doesnt have a rugby mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

playing it now

its kinda rubbish :S

i hope its just the adjustment from mw2, but it feels like its running at a constantly sub par frame rate (not my connection, its the same in training), im still not entirely sure who the enemy are a lot of the time, and ive yet to figure out a way to know where the hell im supposed to be or what im supposed to be doing at any given moment

but ive only played 2 games, so ill update as i play more

*edit 1*

ok this is getting a bit better

*edit 2*

defo a lot better, just needs a hell of an adjustment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

sendit.com have it for £34.89 with free delivery if you don't mind waiting a few days, I've found them to be fairly reliable.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

BeansBeans wrote: »
    Although when in one of the points in the page they knocked the game for not having a single player mode i lost a lot of respect for the writer. Warhawk, Battlefield, MAG, Fat Princess (to an extent FP), are all up front and very clear about not being single player games. To be fair its like knocking Fifa as it doesnt have a rugby mode.

Well in fairness the reviewer just said there's no single player content to practice on. Warhawk and Battlefield 1943 have small single player tutorials so as to practice, haven't played Fat Princess so I don't know if there's any single player content.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Public matches will be utter gash but if you're playing with a clan/load of mates who are organised, it'll be very good I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Semi organised games are the reason I play online multiplater, territories and Multiflag in Halo, Rainbow Six Vegas etc all have pretty decent communities that know how to play the game.

I hate team deathmatch with a passion, thats why I'm excited about this game. I'm so sick of the ****e teams you play with in Domination in MW2; you either get a good team that is organised or a bunch of nuke hunters who want to take advantage of everyone running towards a fixed location. I really hope MAG grows into something deadly.

• Advertisement

rizzla wrote: »
    Well in fairness the reviewer just said there's no single player content to practice on. Warhawk and Battlefield 1943 have small single player tutorials so as to practice, haven't played Fat Princess so I don't know if there's any single player content.
    That's telling about how much they actually played the game - whilst the beta had no training missions - the full retail release does. Hmm, I call shenanigans.
    Public matches will be utter gash but if you're playing with a clan/load of mates who are organised, it'll be very good I'd say.
    I cannot emphasize how true that is. I think the game is fun playing with the general public, but it's absolutely excellent when you play with a clan/mates who know how to work together. With a good enough team you'll never even see the respawn screen, you'll be revived within a few seconds of you going down.

If you want to level up fast, level up you medkit to a resuscitation kit before you do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Been playing a review copy of it yesterday and this morning. Basically nothing new from the beta and I'm not pushed. My copy of Modern Warfare 2 won't be gathering dust anytime soon ...

GothPunk wrote: »
    That's telling about how much they actually played the game - whilst the beta had no training missions - the full retail release does. Hmm, I call shenanigans.

it has ONE offline training mission

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Helix wrote: »

Yeah, and each factions training missions are the exact same, the only difference is the narration. Sort of silly really.

really nowhere near enough by way of information as to what the hell youre supposed to do

frame rate is too low too, but i think it just takes a bit of time to adjust to. lots of people are going to really hate it

the devs reckon they need 1000 regular players to keep it alive, im not sure theyll get 1000 tbh

And...? The reviewer says there is no single player content to practice on.

When a reviewer writes a report on a single player game, one would expect them to have finished the game, particularly for a big first party release, therefore having put about 10-20 hours into the game. Whilst I agree with a lot of the content of that review, I don't think they dedicated the same amount of time to M.A.G., perhaps they don't for all MP games.

Anyways Helix, I look forward to reading your review, I tend to agree with you for the most part so you're a good barometer for me (even though I'll be getting this particular game anyway).
    the devs reckon they need 1000 regular players to keep it alive, im not sure theyll get 1000 tbh
    I'm sure you know how loyal the SOCOM fans are and they're all over this game. It'll do better than MGO that's for sure and MGO has at least 2000 regular players 1 year after launch.

I've a feeling this could take a lot of people by surprise. There where a lot of people looking down their noses at WoW before its release but look at it now.

MAG isn't really an FPS, it's an MMO shooter. Halo and MW fans aren't going to like it as it doesn't favour lone wolf tactics. I'd say RPG fans that dabble in FPS's will find it appealing.

GothPunk wrote: »
    And...? The reviewer says there is no single player content to practice on.

theres not, the training mission teaches you the controls and has you shoot a couple of targets. theres nothing with actual opponents, or doing actual missions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

I agree with Leimrod, people could love this sheeeeet, just look at Borderlands!! this is basically borderlands except the respawning enemies are real people and the missions are capture and hold.
    This game will be epic once the community gets its head around it and sure if its ****e theres always BC2. :P

• Advertisement

theres not, the training mission teaches you the controls and has you shoot a couple of targets. theres nothing with actual opponents, or doing actual missions
    Well that's what I took practice to mean in the context of what type of game it is but I guess they meant missions or a full campaign like Battlefield Bad Company? It seems like a strange comment to make about a multiplayer only game - but then again I don't understand comments about a single player game lacking multiplayer as a drawback.

Besides, the Supression game type does act as a training mode of sorts as there are no complex objectives to go after, it's more of a team deathmatch type affair. I'm sure people can cut their teeth there. IGN didn't bother to point that out; in fact they don't describe anything to do with any of the game types, bar Domination, and that reference is only to the number of players involved. You don't think it peculiar that they don't go into any actual details of the game?

Anyways, were you disagreeing with my comments about the IGN review (and reviews of games in general) or just being pedantic?

Advertisement