Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAG

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Should point out that IGN's official review isen't up yet because they think its too early to judge - they have a first day impressions here

If the main site can't decide on a review score then what made IGN UK so special?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

RAIN wrote: »
    Should point out that IGN's official review isen't up yet because they think its too early to judge

theyre right

ive gone from hating it, to thinking it was mediocre, to liking it, and right back to thinking its mediocre again

fortunately i dont have to have my review done til sunday (gotta love the print media) so ill get at least 5 hours a day in on her

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

rizzla wrote: »
    Well in fairness the reviewer just said there's no single player content to practice on. Warhawk and Battlefield 1943 have small single player tutorials so as to practice, haven't played Fat Princess so I don't know if there's any single player content.
    Gamesradar wrote:
    But sadly it’s nowhere near as good as any of them. Why? Well, we can’t shake the fact that those said games have a single player campaign for your money. MAG doesn’t. It doesn’t have a USP beyond hosting 256 players online.

There is also a sort of training ground on MAG isnt there? It wasnt in the beta but im pretty sure i read reviews stating that there were.

I think we are looking at different articles though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Helix wrote: »
    fortunately i dont have to have my review done til sunday (gotta love the print media) so ill get at least 5 hours a day in on her

The problem with a game like this and reviewing it so close to the widespread release is that I don't know how representative it will be of the entire experience.

Really you'd need to play a 256 player match with 2 clans going head to head where everyone has mics and squad/team leaders that know their roles to fully get the experience. I doubt you will get that until a month or 2 after release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

aye thats unlikely to happen tbh, and ill try to take that into account

i like to think im fairly balanced with my reviews anyway tbh, if i dont like it down to a purely personal preference reason ill point it out and suggest who i think would really get more out of it than me, but if i dont like it coz its technically just crap ill slate it (like damnation)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Crecente of Kotaku has some first impressions up here.
    A very, very important important thing to note: A microphone is an absolute must in MAG. So much so that I'm surprised there isn't a version of the game that ships with one. If you don't play with a microphone you might as well not play MAG. Seriously.

I cant wait to get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The problem with a game like this and reviewing it so close to the widespread release is that I don't know how representative it will be of the entire experience.

Really you'd need to play a 256 player match with 2 clans going head to head where everyone has mics and squad/team leaders that know their roles to fully get the experience. I doubt you will get that until a month or 2 after release.
    How many people of all those that buy it will get to be part of a big clan and all have mics to be so coordinated?

Giantbomb are going to be doing a rolling review, first part of their "MAG thing" as they call it here.
    It's a 35 minute video play/discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't suppose there's anywhere in Dublin City Centre selling this early? Wouldn't mind picking it up tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Anyone know how much Gamestop will be selling for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Helix wrote: »
    theres not, the training mission teaches you the controls and has you shoot a couple of targets. theres nothing with actual opponents, or doing actual missions

There is one that teaches you the buttons then that unlocks the death match style one, after a few games of that the sabotage one unlocks that teaches you how to capture intel. Then the next one teaches you how to plant bombs on bunkers road blocks and steal vehicles. Then after all that when your level 8 and you know how to play the main game unlocks.

Its a great idea because by the time you get into the main game everyone is at least at level 8 and should be able to handle themselves.

I don’t understand what you mean by poor frame rate issue (not disagreeing with you I just don’t know what that means) I can’t see much wrong with it. I think the game runs very smoothly.

Ive yet to experience any lag at all with 256 people playing that’s amazing I cant get 9v9 in MW2 with out lag ruining the game.

True about some people will hate it and that’s a good thing we don’t want the COD kids playing it shouting abuse at everyone for camping or noobtubing or what ever stupid idea they get into their head. Ive been playing since Tuesday and have found everyone to be really pleasant.

The game is being really well received too I cant see a problem with them keeping an audience everyone online is raving about it saying that Zipper can keep growing this game and take it anywhere they want that it will be like the counter strike community. I’ve yet to encounter any abuse, I’ve even gotten messages from the enemy saying nice shooting !!. Perhaps this is because it’s for an older player.

At the moment im waiting for the release here to get the other lads back on but when you do happen opon a good squad no other game comes close to the sense of satisfaction I get from MAG. When you plan a assault and it comes off its brilliant. That’s why ill keep playing it because of the sense of achievement I get from it is simply not in any other online game ive played.

Ive been on the beta since September and playing non stop since Tuesday as you may have guessed I adore it. Ive tried going back to MW2 and to be honest it doesn’t interest me anymore. Sure its got great graphics but its also got totally unrealistic gameplay its poor lag problems and its just the same thing over and over again. Spawn, shoot someone, get shot, spawn 20 feet away and repeat. While everyone runs in circles doing nothing.

A few tips for new comers

1. Don’t be put off by how hectic it is you will get to grips with it it just takes time.
    2. Spend your first 2 skill points on a sight for your gun
    3. Use your next 4 skill points on a medi kit and resuscitation (2 each). This is the quickest way to get XP you get 5 xp for killing someone you get 10xp for reviving some one.
    4. Change your equipment loadout. If its sabotage you want grenades and medi kits. If its acquisition then you want medi kits and repair kits. Attacking and defending will also alter what you need so make the 5 different loadouts.
    5. Don’t run into combat like an idiot, stop take your time use cover stick with your squad.
    6. If you are spending half your time running after spawning you are dying too often. Simple I know but sticking with your squad with a medic and NOT BLEEDING OUT JUST AS HE GETS THERE. Will stop you needing to respawn all the time.

If you want to add me (bubs78) you may enjoy it a bit more in a squad. For the other lads from the Beta im stil in Raven. So i think we should stick with that for our games. See ye online tomorrow !!

• Advertisement

About a tenner too more than they should be !!

Smyths for 45 with the card is the best ive seen, Im sure HMV will be cheap too.

Hmm i don't have a card, i asumme i can't go in get a card then buy the game for 45?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Not sure if I'm going to pick this us up just yet. It's really intriguing me and sounds like I'd like it a lot. Sounds more like the multiplayer in Killzone rather than COD, which I prefer. Bit more tactical and thought out. Have Mass effect 2 in the post and a stack of PSP games to play at the moment though. If my Mass Effect doesn't arrive tomorrow I may very well be tempted!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm pretty sure Gamestop will have it for €49.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Nice post there Bubs, some very good advice there. Raven ftw!

I'll be picking this up on the way home from work tomorrow and probably end up playing it all weekend. Good thing I have lots of GameStop credit from trading in my old PS3 or else it would have been a while before I could join you all! :pac:

It's looking like all the old Boardsie Killzone 2 crowd will be in attendance, fun times.

Should be home by 4ish tomorrow, i shall see you then sir!

€45 for normal, €49.99 for the Collector's Edition. Nearly had them convinced HMV were selling them, so let me have one, but it didn't work.

GothPunk wrote: »
    Nice post there Bubs, some very good advice there. Raven ftw!

I'll be picking this up on the way home from work tomorrow and probably end up playing it all weekend. Good thing I have lots of GameStop credit from trading in my old PS3 or else it would have been a while before I could join you all! :pac:

It's looking like all the old Boardsie Killzone 2 crowd will be in attendance, fun times.

The missus is working till 8 30 then her mates are calling over so ill be on pretty much all day :D

Will we set up a boards clan ? No harm i guess : Boardsie's roughnecks :D

Was gonna go SRVR, but if there's a boards clan, I'll go Raven - feel free to add me, my PSN ID is Rob_Velocity.

Boards has always been Raven, raven fo life bro! :P

I'll join a clan anyway, always much more fun!

• Advertisement

Cool. I missed out of the Beta so I'm going in blind, really like the look of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

€45 for normal, €49.99 for the Collector's Edition. Nearly had them convinced HMV were selling them, so let me have one, but it didn't work.
    The collector's edition has a steelbook case, and includes new combat armour and 3 dynamic themes. Should I bother spending the extra €5 for that stuff? Hmm. I've seen the dynamic themes, they're just a dude from one of the factions standing to the right of the screen with a view of one of the maps behind him. Nothing special really.

I'll be joining the NeoGAF clan I think, but I could probably get you guys invites if you wanted, especially seeing as some of you played with us in the beta. If not then I'll be able to join you guys anyway as I think you're all on my friends list.

Ah yes NeoGaf, i was with them for the beta, very good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I'll be in town from 9am tomorrow to get it so will be online around 10/10.30

Feel free to add me. See sig for PSN tag

Can't wait for battle to commence:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Lads, add me on PSN: projectmayhem

I should be floating about in MAG so would like to join in a bit of online slaughter with you lot :)

Also, would the general consensus be that the thread should be renamed "MAG", i.e. remove the "beta"? Up to you guys, it doesn't make sense anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Good idea projectmayhem.

What faction are people thinking of joining? Ich bin ein Nooblinger so dunno who to join.

PSN is nailhammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I should be floating about in MAG so would like to join in a bit of online slaughter with you lot :)

Also, would the general consensus be that the thread should be renamed "MAG", i.e. remove the "beta"? Up to you guys, it doesn't make sense anymore :)

Yeah that would probably be best
    Good idea projectmayhem.

What faction are people thinking of joining? Ich bin ein Nooblinger so dunno who to join.

PSN is nailhammer.

I think everyone will be joining the Raven faction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I'd like to join up too.. Getting the game tomorrow..

psn BAZ 171075

Would make more sense i guess :D

For anyone else joining join Raven.

Ive set up Boardsroughnecks clan but if there is another one we can join that. Pitty you cant be in a few clans would make things easier for the different groups of people you play with.

Bit of a problem with SVER this is the story i was told that gamestop USA had a pre order bonus armour and the one for Raven was with a different shop that never gave them out. So a lot of SVER players are very hard to kill as the other teams haven't unlocked the better weapons yet has made it a bit unfair. I cant remember beating SVER once so far. But its good to be the underdog sometimes. Hopefully when the UK comes on line it will balance it up a bit.

Tiny bit of lag tonight as well was in a 30 mins game and it was fine up to the last 2 minutes then got a little jumpy. Might have some dodgy games tomorrow when you get a surge of people picking it up.

• Advertisement

Would make more sense i guess :D

For anyone else joining join Raven.

Ive set up Boardsroughnecks clan but if there is another one we can join that. Pitty you cant be in a few clans would make things easier for the different groups of people you play with.

Sounds good, I'll be on tomorrow after work.

Advertisement