Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

displaying medals

• 02-10-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I have recently started concentrating on collecting medals as helmets and bayonets present a spacial problem.

I was wondering how you display your medals. I currently have them in boxes in a cupboard. i'm not sure that if I were to put them in a large frame that the light would fade the ribbons. also if they are in a frame on the wall and if somebody breaks in they would be an easy target.

should medals be cleaned or left in their original state?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi there,

Firstly, no, don't clean medals. The patina and distressed look is part of the medal. You are also ind anger of rubbing off any plating which may have been originally applied to a medal. So, no! ;)

Secondly, if you want to display the medals make sure you keep them out of direct sunlight. A room with artificial light is not that dangerous but constant sunlight may cause problems. Also make sure that the backing of the display case is made of non-acidic material. Some get velvet and some get pool table coverings for background. Argos has some nice display cases for walls at the moment. Instead of fixing the medals to the background you could get a display case with little shelves etc. There are special acrylic medal stands available for medals with and without ribbons (long and short ribbons) as well as dagger and documen stands. Sure, you could hide it away in boxes and just take them out to look at for yourself but you'll find that they are only safe when stored in a bank vault (I know some collectors who did that to the majority of their €5000 and plus items).

So, it's personal preference I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

get a detlof in ikea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If you have anything valuable it's worth doing these things properly.

Proper display cases and frames should have UV protective glass.

The backing should be acid free, as should boxes you keep documents in, you should also have something to control humidity. There are a few conservation supply crowds about who sell all the kit online. Alternatively, you could get someone to do it for you professionally.

Advertisement