Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flippers / marshmallow dolphins

Options
  • 02-10-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hey, does anyone remember these marshmallow type dolphins, they were around about 20 years ago. 10p. Someone has told me they may have been made by a company called Cloetta. Really lovely, kind of like hard marshmallow. Would love to find them again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭biblio

I remember those too, there were the whiteish colour ones and pink ones too yummy and chewy the texaco station shop in mitchelstown has them, and a sweet shop/newsagents on the main st in Kilkenny has them too think they are more than 10p now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Im pretty sure they were 15p and they were tutti-frutti flavour. When I was younger I bought a box of them in musgraves cash and carry. Good times :D

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

Had two only a couple of weeks ago.
    A shop in youghal, cork sells them
    Shop is in the middle of the town and sells all the old sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

Great! Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin or Wicklow that still has them?

Just to confirm, these are pretty big sweets (well they were big in my little hands!)...and were kinda powdery on the outside. I only remember 1 colour - whitish. Hard to describe the flavour but yeah maybe tutti-frutti ish. Were 10p in Pat Flynn's in Greystones....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I remember them well, you would pull them apart and they would sort of crack up, exposing a more moist inner bit. They were curved like a dolphin jumping through a hoop.

Last place I saw them was a newsagent in ballybrack shopping centre, but that was years ago. Many newsagents stock sweets like that for kids, but they are often down under the bar counter, so smaller kids can see them. Also check €2 shops, they can have old school sweets.

I loved the dolphins, they were 15p when I got them. Were they called flippers?
    EDIT- I see your thread name says they are flippers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jgal

it may not be the exact same, but they sell the dolphins at teddy's in dun laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

jgal wrote: »
    it may not be the exact same, but they sell the dolphins at teddy's in dun laoghaire.

Thanks, next time I am out that direction I'll check them out and will report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Crellis31

m0nsterie wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone remember these marshmallow type dolphins, they were around about 20 years ago. 10p. Someone has told me they may have been made by a company called Cloetta. Really lovely, kind of like hard marshmallow. Would love to find them again!

Kennedy's Spar in Stepaside have them. Delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

got them a few weeks ago in mace off the navan road i love them there like one of the best things ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Found them here, anyone speak German? seems pricey at €75 a box is that right? must be a supplier somewhere in Ireland though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

It's actually a Swedish site :) .The dolphins are €8 and the shipping seems to be €30 just for 1 box :(

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Whoops - hope I didn't offend any Germans! Would love a box of these but dont think I could justify paying €38. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CombatCow wrote: »
    It's actually a Swedish site :) .The dolphins are €8 and the shipping seems to be €30 just for 1 box

AFAIK Sweden has very high postage costs, I used to get stuff from a company there and they ended up trying to get agents in other countries as the postage cost put people off. But once you go over a certain amount it is reasonable, i.e. if you bought a load of those boxes it might just cost a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Flipper Cloetta
    Price 9 euro for 36 pieces, incl shipping - 20 euro total

BUT, they don't ship abroad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

The Shamrock Stores in Rathfarnham have them.

Advertisement