Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experimental Physics

• 02-10-2009 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hello all.

I am a graduate in chemistry and I was thinking about applying ( if i can ) to do another bachelor degree in experimental physics. My Question is, Can I apply to do the course not using the CAO, as i have a degree already. Do the points not matter after that?

I tried to find out myself, but i find the website difficult to navigate and the physics administration choose to continually ignore me!

Thanks In advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭raviravi

Hello all.

I am a graduate in chemistry and I was thinking about applying ( if i can ) to do another bachelor degree in experimental physics. My Question is, Can I apply to do the course not using the CAO, as i have a degree already. Do the points not matter after that?

I tried to find out myself, but i find the website difficult to navigate and the physics administration choose to continually ignore me!

Thanks In advance!

Hi darth darragh, to do any fulltime course in NUIM you must apply through the CAO, i am assuming you are over 23 and if so you can apply as a mature student and your points do not matter but you would be liable for fees as you already have a degree, hope this helps if you need any more info contact the admissions office or the mature student officer if you are over 23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 darth darragh

raviravi wrote: »
    Hi darth darragh, to do any fulltime course in NUIM you must apply through the CAO, i am assuming you are over 23 and if so you can apply as a mature student and your points do not matter but you would be liable for fees as you already have a degree, hope this helps if you need any more info contact the admissions office or the mature student officer if you are over 23

Thankyou mate! Unfortunately im not over 23, But im sure ill get through to the dept, and maybe get special entry. Hopefully, doubt it, but you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Crowdof1

Hey there, catching on to this a bit late but hope this might be of some use.

I'm doing a 2nd degree myself, I'm sure it would be no bother through the cao or maybe applying straight to the university admissions office. I'd say your points wont matter at all if you have a degree already. But... I graduated from that degree in experimental physics and now I'm doing another degree here in the UK, so take from that what you will about the course itself...

1st year is omnibus science, so to be honest you might have to sit through chemistry classes which will be insultingly easy. There might be some way of starting in 2nd year. Again talking to the department staff is always the best way to go.

Maynooth do a H.Dip in Applied Physics. When I was in my final year there were a few guys in some modules who were doing that. It's primarily for people who did degrees in other fields. Maybe that might be a good idea, it's only a year and it's a step in the right direction. Still, like i said i'm doing another degree, so I know you've probably looked at all the options and if you decide you have to spend another 3-4 years in college then yeah, go for it. Hope it all works out well.

Advertisement