Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UKCAT and UCAS: Any advice?

Options
  • 02-10-2009 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Im sitting my UKCAT next week and I was wondering could give me any words of wisdom? Ive downloaded the practise test but it wont give me my score. Is there any other websites where I could practise, just to get more of an idea like. Also what are we supplied with in the exam? Pen and paper? Calculator?

Also Im filling out my personal statement for UCAS and I have very little work experience. Ive done volunteer work and I visited my local hospital, but this was only the physio department as this was the only place they could give me. Ive enquired for ages at local GPs but they wont take me on under any circumstances and my local hospital are not taking on any people for work experience at the moment. I have so little work experience. Do ye think I will be ok with what I have. Im getting work experience at my local vets, but this is not particularly related to medicine and irrelevant. What do ye think, people who have applied to the UK?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

Just make it up. I remember writing out a rough draft of my personal statement in Irish class and then typing it out a few days later and I was grand despite the fact it was all complete bull. They won't check up on you as most of these places are ridiculously oversubscribed. I reckon the section your headmaster fills out about you holds more sway. Either way both sections don't amount to much aslong as you don't come across as a complete idiot. It’s what happens at your interview that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Also Im filling out my personal statement for UCAS and I have very little work experience. Ive done volunteer work and I visited my local hospital, but this was only the physio department as this was the only place they could give me. Ive enquired for ages at local GPs but they wont take me on under any circumstances and my local hospital are not taking on any people for work experience at the moment. I have so little work experience. Do ye think I will be ok with what I have. Im getting work experience at my local vets, but this is not particularly related to medicine and irrelevant. What do ye think, people who have applied to the UK?

So write that! Write that you tried to get exp, but that the closest thing you could get was physio and the vets. They'll understand that a GP can't take you in for work experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

So write that! Write that you tried to get exp, but that the closest thing you could get was physio and the vets. They'll understand that a GP can't take you in for work experience.

That's what i'd do. It only plays the tiniest part in the selection process. We know that students have no idea about what the actual career involves. But it looks good if you tried.

If you lie on your UCAS for, and it's discovered, they will throw out your application, and you will e unlikely to get a place in any medical school ever again.

There was a guy a few years ago in the UK who lied about his age by a couple of years, as he was afraid they would think he was too old. He was found out a few years into med school, and was chucked out straight away.

Dishonesty is one of the worst traits a doctor can have, and the med schools will have a zero tolerance attitude to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheWestsAwake

I'm looking to head to the UK to study nursing. It has been 7 years since I last completed University & 11 since I finished Secondary School. I have worked most of the time in between. I have also completed other exams in relation to my previous career as recent as 2 years ago. Where would people recommend I attain my reference from? I was thinking my old University!

Advertisement