Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens to animals when they die?

Options
  • 02-10-2009 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,

I just had one of the most difficult times of my life today. My old labrador finally had to be put to sleep. He was 14 and very ill due to his athritis. I did everything I could to keep him alive with vets help but in the end his quality of life became minimal. he could not stand up and couldnt eat.

I am at the point of understanding that I did what had to be done to stop him from suffering but now I am afraid about where he has gone to. Or who he is with. I do believe very much in the after life. but I wish I knew he was safe and with a good person etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I wish I could see him and where he is...

Beau

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

id say he's eatin biscuits somewhere at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 beau_beau

id say he's eatin biscuits somewhere at the moment
    That is a lovely thought alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I believe in after life too.
    I reckon he will be very happy somewhere with the fitness/health he had as a puppy.
    He will be petted by other people you know who have passed away,and will have other dogs to play with.
    Thats what I think anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

http://www.rainbowbridge.com/Poem.htm
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Blinder wrote: »
    Thank you that is a wonderful poem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

That poem is so sweet, it made me cry!

I think they do go somewhere, but not until they are ready.
    I had a similar experience with my 17 year old cat, had to put him to sleep as he had very bad cancer. I held his face in my hands and kissed his little pink nose as he took his last breath. I watched the life fade out of his eyes as he passed away. It was so so hard.

I believe he stayed with me though for about a year as I could often feel his presence about the house.

Very wierd I know (sorry) but I know he's in a better place now, and he does come to visit sometimes.

Kamili wrote: »
    That poem is so sweet, it made me cry!

I think they do go somewhere, but not until they are ready.
    I had a similar experience with my 17 year old cat, had to put him to sleep as he had very bad cancer. I held his face in my hands and kissed his little pink nose as he took his last breath. I watched the life fade out of his eyes as he passed away. It was so so hard.

I believe he stayed with me though for about a year as I could often feel his presence about the house.

Very wierd I know (sorry) but I know he's in a better place now, and he does come to visit sometimes.

Thank you

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My parents always told me that when our pets died they went to the 'happy hunting grounds' where they were young and fit and could play again. I always thought it was a lovely image to give a child.

I talk to others who deal in spiritual things all the time, loads of them have said theyve been aware of pets that have passed on, ie they sense their cat jumping on the bed, etc. Mediums have often talked of sensing pets as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tormented

That poem is soooo comforting really nice. Hope it helped you Beau Beau. I firmly believe in the after life for all living beings, I had to put my cat to sleep last year it was really tough as he was only a year old, but a few months after that I dreamt he came into my room and sat on the bed and let me pet him, I knew I was dreaming so tried to open my eyes but I couldn't I could see him come into the room and then my eyes closed, it was so nice and comforting, they definetly go to another waiting place much more pleasant than earth, and thats where your dog is Beau Beau and I bet he's thanking you for making the sickness go away and letting him be a puppy again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 richards6

Hi,

My best dog ever died the first month I left home. He was a crazy yorkshire terrier, and used to run around upstairs during the night, and would keep us all awake with the sound of his nails on the wooden floors. He got kicked by our pony and died. For about four to five years after every time I went home, I would wake up around three in the morning to the sound of his nails on the wooden floor, and in the mornings I would wake up to the sensation of him sleeping on my feet. Only myself and my little brother would hear and sense him though.

I dont believe that anyone's energy is lost, and we definitely had the ghost of our dog living with us for significant length of time after he died, and I am glad to have felt it because it was comforting and reassuring.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement

Thank you for the comment. I would love to experience something like that. I think my old lab may have gone directly to the otherside. I have never felt him around the place. I wish I did..
    richards6 wrote: »
    Hi,

My best dog ever died the first month I left home. He was a crazy yorkshire terrier, and used to run around upstairs during the night, and would keep us all awake with the sound of his nails on the wooden floors. He got kicked by our pony and died. For about four to five years after every time I went home, I would wake up around three in the morning to the sound of his nails on the wooden floor, and in the mornings I would wake up to the sensation of him sleeping on my feet. Only myself and my little brother would hear and sense him though.

I dont believe that anyone's energy is lost, and we definitely had the ghost of our dog living with us for significant length of time after he died, and I am glad to have felt it because it was comforting and reassuring.

Hope that helps

Advertisement