Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inhalers over the counter

Options
  • 02-10-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

As an asthma sufferer, I have started buying my inhalers in Spain (giving money to anyone I knew heading over) as they're over the counter AND a fraction of the price.

However, I heard that this may be over now and that rules have changed there?Anyone know?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

I do the same. I never get them here, I was in Greece a few weeks ago and bought a Ventolin inhaler OTC so as far as I know its still the same there. Hopefully in Spain too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Legally- its dubious- and I have been questioned about improbable amounts of medication by C&E on one occasion- and got away by quoting numerous EU regulations to them. In short- if its legally for sale OTC in Spain (or Greece or elsewhere) you are entitled to purchase it there for personal consumption, and bring it subject to limitations to any other EU country- providing it is for personal use. If you bring totally improbable quantities- you will most probably get stopped.

Next on my hit list is Lifescan One Touch Ultra blood sugar test strips from Portugal (where they are manufactured, and available OTC). They are EUR44 per box of 50 here- they are EUR 3.80 per 50 for an identical box OTC in Portugal...... You are supplied with these under the LTI scheme in Ireland- subject to certain limitations- but if you need to test more often than normal, you may very well have probs with your pharmacist..........

A couple of thousand test strips for a reasonable amount- is a good investment......

Advertisement