Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanet SMTP server settings

• 02-10-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

This may be the wrong location for this thread and mods please feel free to move it to the appropriate area if it is but..... We have Permanet broadband via cable. Hubby used to connect via Ethernet to his mac and I use a wireless router to connect using my laptop. Hubby's emails are all eircom.net accounts whereas mine are gmail and yahoo. His Mac has keeled over after a lovely long 8 years and I've given him half the hard-drive on the laptop and tried to setup his email on the laptop using windows mail. His mail is coming in fine but not sending. I know that eircom.net insist that you use the settings appropriate to the ISP you are using which in our case is Permanet. I haven't used them in yonks since setting up his emails on the mac when we got the broadband in over 2 yrs ago so I can't remember or figure out the smtp settings. I've tried smtp.permanet.ie and thats not working. Anyone know what I use for the smtp server settings please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Its all here on their crappy website

http://www.permanet.ie/email_help.htm

Pick up your mail from eircom with you eircom usrname and password as usual then the smtp address you need was correct

Looks like you need to authenticate with your username an password from permanet so their smtp server knows who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Thank you! It really is such a shockingly bad website! Ive done the necessary anyway and hopefully like the last time they will get back to me within a month or so!;)

I had Permanet for about a year and a half, still have the connection for my parents' use. They don't allow open access to their SMTP server, you need to e-mail them for access. The address is indeed smtp.permanet.ie but it requires authentication. They basically register you a new @permanet.ie e-mail and you use that to log in, but you can use that account to send e-mail from any e-mail address.

I think the reason they do this is for spam prevention, the SMTP server appends "X-Auth-Info: <user>@permanet.ie (login)" to the e-mail header to track who sent it.

Advertisement