Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blair most likely WILL be president

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I think Bono should get the job.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Of course a lot more people besides Blair could become President of the European Council.. but if you read the latest media reports Blair is the favourite to take the position as it stands. So there is a difference to could and likely.

People are asking what is so wrong with Blair.. well it's simple, he's a lying and contemptous **** to put simply and a lot of people would be against such a lying slimeball from becoming president of the European council
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Blair is British and those are British media reports. Obviously in Ireland we have a huge exposure to British media. Are there any European media outlets proclaiming the arrival of Emperor Tony (that don't quote UK media reports)?

What namloc said. The British are looking for 'their' man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

meglome wrote: »
    What namloc said. The British are looking for 'their' man.

Not all the English language media agree that he is a shoo-in (or even a shoe-in): http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/world/europe/05union.html

Not all the English language media agree that he is a shoo-in (or even a shoe-in): http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/world/europe/05union.html

Of course it depends on the newspapers 'allegiance'. Some are calling for him and the others are putting the knife in. Unfortunately they are all talking about it.

I don't see it happening... hopefully.

meglome wrote: »
    Of course it depends on the newspapers 'allegiance'. Some are calling for him and the others are putting the knife in. Unfortunately they are all talking about it.

You have to consider where journalists get their stories from. They are talking about it because Blair wants the job, and his people are working for him by contacting their pals in the media, trying to create a snowball effect.

But it seems that they are simultaneously trying to redefine the role of the President of the Council to something more than the Lisbon Treaty provides for. That, I judge, is a mistake, a mistake that I think will wreck his candidacy. Can you imagine 27 heads of government permitting somebody whose job is to facilitate their business to take power away from them?

The NY Times piece seems to reflect such a view.
    I don't see it happening... hopefully.

Amen to that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

See: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/irish-vote-yes-to-eu-blair-touted-for-presidency/article1311762/
    Only hours after a referendum victory in Ireland gave the European Union some of the powers of a federal nation, Europeans were shocked by the prospect of a continent-wide political and economic power being led by Tony Blair, the former British prime minister.

The Irish voted by an overwhelming 67 per cent majority to become the last country in the 27-nation bloc to endorse the Lisbon Treaty, an effective constitution that turns the EU into a nation-like federation with a continent-wide foreign policy and a president.

Brussels officials this weekend launched a plan to put in place the new EU institutions at breakneck speed to avoid possible challenges from the Czech Republic, whose president, Vaclav Klaus, has threatened to mount a legal challenge to the treaty, and from the United Kingdom, where opposition Conservative Leader David Cameron has threatened to overturn Britain's ratification of the treaty and hold a referendum, sure to be a No vote in Euro-skeptic Britain, if he is elected prime minister next year.

Neither threat is certain, as both Mr. Klaus and Mr. Cameron suggested this weekend that they will not stand in the way if the treaty has been fully ratified.

Both the Czech Republic and Poland have passed the treaty in parliament but still require a presidential signature, and Conservative officials confirmed this weekend that Mr. Cameron has asked the Czech president to withhold his signature, in an effort to delay ratification until after a British election.

Mr. Klaus, who has likened the Brussels-based bloc to the erstwhile Soviet Union and refused to fly the EU flag, has insisted on a constitutional court challenge before signing. But this weekend he strongly suggested that he would sign it and expressed anger at Mr. Cameron's interference.

“I am afraid the people of Britain should have been doing something much earlier and not just now, too late, saying something and waiting for my decision,” he said.

And the British Tories Sunday backed away from their insistence on a referendum. On the eve of their annual conference in Manchester, senior Conservative figures said that Mr. Cameron had abandoned that idea, as it would place Britain at odds with every other European country.

“We are in the business of not preventing [other countries] from embarking on deeper integration,” Dan Hannan, the Member of European Parliament who leads the Tories' Euro-skeptic branch, told the Guardian newspaper Sunday night.

But the politics of Europe, and especially of Britain, have been shaken by the revelation that Mr. Blair is now the front-running candidate for the new position of European president. The new top job would be elected for a two-and-a-half-year term by the European Council, made up of the heads of government of the 27 member nations.

While Mr. Blair has not declared himself a candidate or discussed the position, friends and colleagues of the former prime minister have been making the case fairly aggressively in diplomatic and leadership circles for the past year, and the candidacy became a matter of open discussion in the British media and among politicians this weekend.

According to The Times of London, Mr. Blair now has the firm backing of French President Nicolas Sarkozy and possibly of German Chancellor Angela Merkel, who has reportedly softened her earlier opposition. He almost certainly would have the backing of Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, and of most of the leaders of the 10 eastern European countries that joined the EU during his term in office from 1997 to 2005.

While there will be considerable public reaction to Mr. Blair from those who opposed the Iraq war, European officials said it will be difficult for any candidate of similar stature and widespread support to emerge in time for the closed-door, secret-ballot election, which could take place before this year's end.

Other possible candidates include Jean-Claude Juncker, the conservative Prime Minister of Luxembourg, and Jan-Peter Balkenende, the conservative Dutch Prime Minister.

French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner told the British media that Mr. Blair is the only real candidate “for the moment.”

While Mr. Blair may be a divisive figure within Europe, the prospect of his presidency is wreaking havoc within Britain's conservatives, who were already deeply split between a continentalist and virulently anti-Europe factions.

Mr. Cameron's decision to back away from a referendum pledge put him deeply at odds with London mayor Boris Johnson, a prominent and popular anti-Europe figure who is quickly emerging as a leader of the euro-skeptic faction and a challenger to the party's leadership.

In an interview with the Sunday Times, Mr. Johnson effectively attacked his party leader's position on Sunday, using the prospect of a Tony Blair presidency as a rhetorical weapon and a warning of the left-wing threats that could emerge from Europe if the Tories don't hold a British referendum to reverse the treaty.

“I do think it would be right for such a debate to be held, particularly if the upshot of the Lisbon treaty is going to produce president Blair,” Mr. Johnson said.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Maybe the Euroboys will thank us for the Yes vote and give us Mary Robinson?
    Former President Mary Robinson is reportedly among a number of high-profile names being tipped to become the first president of the EU.

A new post of President of the European Council is due to be created if the Lisbon Treaty is fully ratified.

The successful candidate will be appointed by the leaders of the member states and will be responsible for chairing EU summits and representing the EU in international forums.

The president will replace the current system whereby the member states rotate the presidency every six months.

Reports this morning say European Commission vice-president Margot Wallstrom has revealed that Mary Robinson is one of the names being mentioned for the job.

Former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has also been identified as a potential candidate, but the favourites are believed to be former British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Luxembourg Prime Minister Jean Claude Juncker.

Source: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mary-robinson-linked-with-eu-president-job-428931.html#ixzz0T38IwdUA

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Sully wrote: »
    Maybe the Euroboys will thank us for the Yes vote and give us Mary Robinson?

If so, "Yes for Jobs" will have been proven to be true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Tir

War criminal and compulsive liar likely to become our unelected president. Oh joy!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/taoiseach-backs-tony-blair-for-eu-president-job-1904196.html

TAOISEACH Brian Cowen yesterday backed former British prime minister Tony Blair to become the first so-called EU president.

The passing of the Lisbon Treaty in all 27 member states will result in the creation of a position of President of the European Council, not quite President of the European Union, but still a powerful position.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/taoiseach-backs-tony-blair-for-eu-president-job-1904196.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

What a clear understanding of the role you have.

All Hail Herr Blair. I hear if you oppose him, he'll turn you into a rat! Not only will he have power over us as "our unelected president", but he'll also get magical powers to control his enemies.

• Advertisement

Rb wrote: »
    What a clear understanding of the role you have.

All Hail Herr Blair....but he'll also get magical powers to control his enemies.

Nah, that's just mere hearsay, he has the Euro-army to take care of that kind of thing.

Tir wrote: »
    War criminal and compulsive liar likely to become our unelected president.

President of the European Council is elected by the Council.

I though Ireland's vote was just 0.8%?
    If so Cowen's vote is not worth much.

MarkK wrote: »

I don't expect the council will fully represent the wishes of most European people, herein' lies the problem for me and many others.

I don't expect the council will fully represent the wishes of most European people, herein' lies the problem for me and many others.

That's the problem with democracy, you don't always get what you want.
    I believe Blair is very popular in Eastern Europe, he was one of the driving forces behind EU enlargement.

Personally, I hope he does not get the job.

That's the problem with democracy...

Let's not go further than the Great Socrates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FZzAoD5VdE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

:rolleyes:

1 out of 27 is his vote on the Council

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Well, by that standard, does our cabinet EVER "fully represent" the wishes of most Irish people?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wait now, Blair is going to be president of the EU?!?!?!

Why wasnt I told?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Only hours after a referendum victory in Ireland gave the European Union some of the powers of a federal nation..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/irish-vote-yes-to-eu-blair-touted-for-presidency/article1311762/

I suppose the Globe and Mail knows something that Constitutional Courts over here don't know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Thank you Irish people for voting yes to the Lisbon treaty and allowing Tony Blair to basically become the EU President.

Let's forget the fact that he is a war criminal with many lives on his conscience but I'm guessing it is alright since he is a catholic now. :mad:

• Advertisement

SLUSK wrote: »
    Thank you Irish people for voting yes...

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SLUSK wrote: »
    Thank you Irish people for voting yes to the Lisbon treaty and allowing Tony Blair to basically become the EU President.

Let's forget the fact that he is a war criminal with many lives on his conscience but I'm guessing it is alright since he is a catholic now. :mad:

No doubt when this doesn't happen, there'll be another figure of hatred.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hurco

I know its a long shot for him to get this roll, but dont forget get the argument of how we will be preceived if we vote no, ie. negative.
    I know he will have little power but does it not concern you if he does get the roll how would we be preceived from outside the eu from the likes of Iran, North Korea and such. To me i think this could bring alot of unwanted hatred. Anyone else agree or disagree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭granite man

Hurco wrote: »
    I know its a long shot for him to get this roll, but dont forget get the argument of how we will be preceived if we vote no, ie. negative.
    I know he will have little power but does it not concern you if he does get the roll how would we be preceived from outside the eu from the likes of Iran, North Korea and such. To me i think this could bring alot of unwanted hatred. Anyone else agree or disagree?

100% agree and I can't say I'm happy with Cowans comments on Blair. Even tho he got Lisbon through he still has no mandate to speak on behalf of the Irish(or is the paddy section of europe now?)people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

prinz wrote: »
    Could you link where in Lisbon the job of EU President is advertised?

twas on the tesco noticeboard. beside a list of lost dogs and a bike for sale.

100% agree and I can't say I'm happy with Cowans comments on Blair. Even tho he got Lisbon through he still has no mandate to speak on behalf of the Irish(or is the paddy section of europe now?)people.

Like it or not, he has a mandate.

I think you'll find Cowan and his government were elected in 2007 so do indeed have a mandate. Some people have realised their mistake, perhaps they should have used their vote better in 2007. Roll on 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Placing a divisive figure like Blair at the head of the European Union, a man from a nation of resounding euroskepticism would be incredibly bad from a publicity point of view. It'll be easy to "vote against Blair" come the next round of treaty referenda or parliamentary elections. I hope they're more sensible than this.

Hurco wrote: »
    To me i think this could bring alot of unwanted hatred. Anyone else agree or disagree?

Disagree. We're not the only country in Europe ffs. It's unlikely Blair will get it tbh. Nothing new there however seeing as how many countries in Europe have troops in Afghanistan and sent troops to Iraq, Poland, Germany, France, Italy, Bulgaria, Romania, Latvia, Slovakia, Lithuania, Hungary....and so on...and so on....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hurco

prinz wrote: »
    Disagree. We're not the only country in Europe ffs....

I know where not the only country in europe but we are talking perception here and to most countries outside the eu they think we are becomeing a super state. So that could make us all fair game. Just a concern.

Advertisement