Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blair most likely WILL be president

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Hurco wrote: »
    most countries outside the eu they think we are becomeing a super state.

What makes you think that? Any example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 palatinian

namloc1980 wrote: »
    :D That statement is just HILARIOUS

:)

Now let´s see, to have a president, we will have to be a political union.
    We´re not there yet and won´t be for some time.

Still, discussions are already on about it and here in Germany I can see no one of any party advocating Blair for a future post.

Myself, I am advocating very strongly someone I consider a Non-Politician, though she was President of a Republic before.

Yes, I am campaigning for Mary Robinson.

Presidency of the EU will be a non-ploitical office.
    The President will, as is the case in Germany, Austria, Italy and other countries hold a merely representative Office with no influence whatever in day to day politics.

Mary would fit the job perfectly.

Blair, on the other hand, would always try to foist his prehistoric US-subservient views on the community.
    Result would be, they´d kick him out after a couple of months.

Blair knows that and I doubt, he´ll offer candidature.

What happens in London at present is, some poor forgotten guys tryeing to climb back in the limelight and cash in on some interviews.

But, you see, it´s quite possible and in order to make a person President who is not a professional Politician.

Btw, I have support for my Mary plans right across all the political parties here.
    Very few to disagree.

Now, let first see, if we can and want to be a greater Political Union.
    Once that is decided, we´ll start talking about Presidents - or we´ll forget about it.

Still, the line was fun to read.

Addendum for those, not up to date with present EU methodics:

Presently, a different member country will preside the council, but there is no president.

It´s like presiding a series of meetings, no more.
    Some, Like Sarkozy tried to use their term to propagate themselves, though that has no effect on the community

The appeal to Ireland and the changing of a set of rules to oblige to the Irish objections was not made by the then presiding Czechs, it was done due to the lobbying of eight states, Germany among them.

And it was the Luxembourg proposal which was followed widely in making alterations.

So you see, even the little ones get attention and a say in Europe.

So stop hiding under the table, get the fiddles out and make yourselves heard.

Europe will enjoy it.

meglome wrote: »
    It would be funny but they don't know the difference and yet want to vote No to an EU treaty when they don't even know anything about the EU.

I'm off before I get myself banned.

Better stay on and help to give the kids a clue.

I personally do not want a USA-fied Europe, where uneducated, brainwashed nincompoops rule/terrorise the country.

We´re better, we´re cleverer, we have a far higher standard of education, we are not brainwashed, (except for the english maybe) and we will stay tops forever.

And give a hand to those, whio didn´t care all that much about politics.
    It´s an important aspect of our lives, and just about everyone must take part in it to make and keep Europe democratic, free and prosperous.

Go, peoples of Europe, GO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hurco

[Turgon=Quote] What makes you think that? Any example?

Ok, most was probably the wrong word, but i do have one example:

Type this in to youtube(Im not sure how to post link): The rise of the european superstate- you should see "lou dobbs tonight" CNN report.

The would be elected by QMV by the European Council. The Council comprises the 27 Heads of Government of the 27 EU member states. Those heads of government are all elected as heads of government in their respective states through national democratic elections.

what you did not mention is, that bfore the final vote, voting will have to take place in the parliaments of the member nations.
    The heads of state would be obliged to vote according to the results of their parliaments vote, not their private views.

They would only be mailmen for their countries.

Germany even has plans to let all voters decide.

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    For the last 33 years the President of the European Council has never been elected.

Again:
    There is a presidency for a six month period of a member country.
    There is NO President.

It´s a group of people temporarily presiding the meetings.
    They can propose actions and events, but they cannot RULE.

President of the European Council only.....The European Council is just one of many institutions of the EU...Do you know what actual 'powers' this 'new' president that you object to actually has??

Yes, he can order his Butler to serve tea a eight thirty in the morning.

Sully wrote: »
    Maybe the Euroboys will thank us for the Yes vote and give us Mary Robinson?

Source: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mary-robinson-linked-with-eu-president-job-428931.html#ixzz0T38IwdUA

Glad to see my engagement bears fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Hurco wrote: »
    Type this in to youtube(Im not sure how to post link): The rise of the european superstate- you should see "lou dobbs tonight" CNN report.

While at first I was going to dismissively state that anything could be proved through Youtube, I did look. :pac: Im going to go out on a limb and assume that video was legitimate, although it was so 'perverted' and full of inaccuracies that Im quiteskeptical.

Firstly the report opens with talk of how "European Elites" want a Treaty. It then show videos of Prime Ministers of each country walking in, the people who want the Treaty. Key words being Prime Ministers. How are they elites if they have been elected back at home?

Then the talk of it being an anti-American conspiracy. This is natural. The Americans have seen as the dominant power since the 1990's, and before that sharing the status with only one other country since '45. So it is easy to see how the Americans are threatened by a European Union. Its easy to see how they are threatened by the Euro. In their scheme of things anything so good for some other countries must be bad for America.

Then they talk about bypassing the electorate, about renaming it a Treaty so they dont have to have referenda. This ignores key points. Specifically some countries never had to have referenda on the EU Constitution, it was simply a token gesture. And some countries of course cant have referenda on anything, like Germany. So all this report is telling me is how the Reporter (and the anchor) completely misunderstand the EU.

Of course, it was easy to spot it as a Euroskeptic piece of rubbish from the start but I said I would dissect it anyway. It was going on about Lisbon creating a superstate? My advice is for CNN, or whoever made it, to invest in a dictionary. And look up 'elite' while theyre at it

:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

palatinian wrote: »
    Again:
    There is a presidency for a six month period of a member country.
    There is NO President.

It´s a group of people temporarily presiding the meetings.
    They can propose actions and events, but they cannot RULE.

Incorrect. The President of the European Council is the Prime Minister of the country who is currently holding the presidency of the EU. And has all of the same duties that the new full time president will be performing.

The Presidency of the Council of the European Union as held by countries will continue as usual on a 6 month rotation and all that is changing under Lisbon is that the position of President of the European Council is being separated from this rotation.

Those are the facts.

"Czech PM and European Council President presents summit results to EP"

http://www.se2009.eu/en/meetings_news/2009/9/4/presidency_calls_for_informal_european_council

To coordinate EU’s position in view of the G20 Summit in Pittsburgh, Swedish Prime Minister and European Council President Fredrik Reinfeldt today called for an extra informal European Council meeting to take place in Brussels on Thursday the 17th of September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

palatinian wrote: »
    Yes, he can order his Butler to serve tea a eight thirty in the morning.

God, if he can do that much, I guess it means the dreaded Federal Europe complete with micro-chipped, mandatory conscription, take-your-baby European Army is upon us all. :)

View wrote: »
    God, if he can do that much, I guess it means the dreaded Federal Europe complete with micro-chipped, mandatory conscription, take-your-baby European Army is upon us all. :)

Nope, that´ll be up to each country according to their constitution.

In other words, you won´t be able to force all Europeans to have Guiness for breakfast and Paddy for tea.

Nor will we be able to make you eat sour Kraut from noon til night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

It's good to reflect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

We still don't appear to have been aborted, euthanised or conscripted yet either...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

We still don't appear to have been aborted

How do you abort the living?
    euthanised

How do you euthanise the healthy?
    or conscripted yet either...

First, they need to declare an aul war.

Now, where are these jobs? Wheres this recovery?

Lest we forget.......

We still don't appear to have been aborted, euthanised or conscripted yet either...

Don't worry it doesn't take effect until December 1st so we have a few days yet. I mean doesn't Van Rompuy look like an evil super-villian? :)

PaulieD wrote: »
    Now, where are these jobs? Wheres this recovery?

Let's see - Germany, France and Italy are all out of recession. Britain isn't out but what do you expect when they were too stupid to adopt the Euro? Lastly, of course, Ireland, but since we decided to make a big opera production of a minor Treaty, rather than focusing on the economy, it is not surprising we are bringing up the rear.

I wouldn't worry about it though. By the time the next Treaty comes around the recovery and all those jobs will be here as well which will just prove that the Yes side were right all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Biggins wrote: »
    Despite all those that are repeatedly saying that the "No" side is/was blowing smoke about Blair going to be president, TOMORROW on the front page MAIN HEADLINE of the British Times, they are announcing that it is MOST likely that Blair WILL be the first EU president.

Tomoprrows front page:
    28sa7tf.jpg

The news sites tonight have been showing copies of tomorrows papers and this story is being repeated to some variation in a lot of them.
    Now I have read the previous links supplied from both sides stating their case one way or another with examples of previous statements, papers comments etc - however its become quite clear now, all those are now just that - past history. What will appear on tomorrows front page of the British Times is likely to be the future!

Todays paper!
    2vm7as2.jpg
    How embarassing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...yet reports of abductions and anal probes are up. Of course the mainstream media don't report this, as it doesn't comform to their PC, euthanising, aborting, conscripting, abducting, anally probing, liberal, muslim agenda.

Advertisement