Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volvo Ocean Race likely to return in 2012

Options
  • 02-10-2009 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭

The city tribune is reporting that the Ocean Race is likely to return in 2012 linky

Apparently the list of possible stop overs is down to 20 and Galway is still on the list and the only one left on the island.
    The race organisers were visiting the city last week and consider it a front runner.
    Looks like a lot will depend on sponsorship for an Irish entry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Never be as Good as the first stop over. Novelty will have worn off.
    Its just the way things go .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It'll be some effort to raise the kind of cheddar needed a second time. Best of luck to all those working on bringing it back and I hope that those who are currently holding out on previous commitments don't get a look in the second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

3fullback wrote: »

Probably true, hopefully they bring the good weather again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

This might push things regarding the proposed new Docks / Marina development.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Best of luck to whoever is working on this; they did a really good job this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I think the fact that people will remember the huge success of the thing the first time around will encourage them to visit it sooner and more often than first time around.

I know of many people, including myself that left it a few days to visit the docks and ended up spending many unplanned extra days in Galway such was the buzz and enjoyment about the place.

I have to say that I thought it was going to shame us, that Galway wasn't capable of meeting the expectations of the organisers, but **** me I was wrong.

Everyone, including ourselves I think, were blown away. Passing by the docks has been such a depressing exercise since the race moved off... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Bad move. The only reason it was so successful is becuase they were incredibly lucky with the weather. It would be an absolute washout if it was like the current weather, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There's also going to be a big powerboat event coming to Galway in summer 2010 - Maybe Galway is finally getting the maritime attention it deserves!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Wow! That's so class that it's coming back in 2112!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYSW73GWRUw

I missed it the last time, so I'd look forward to it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Wow! That's so class that it's coming back in 2112!

Great Scott, Marty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

I couldn't get the video to work right :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Bad move. The only reason it was so successful is becuase they were incredibly lucky with the weather. It would be an absolute washout if it was like the current weather, for instance.
    Is there any other outdoor event in Ireland that isn't completely at the mercy of the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Robbo wrote: »
    Is there any other outdoor event in Ireland that isn't completely at the mercy of the weather?

Dogging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

It'll never be as good the second time round but still it would be great for the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

JohnCleary wrote: »
    There's also going to be a big powerboat event coming to Galway in summer 2010 - Maybe Galway is finally getting the maritime attention it deserves!

that's pretty cool, links?

Mind the fish though!
    cooperguy wrote: »
    It'll never be as good the second time round but still it would be great for the city

Yeah, pretty much sums it up. It'd be great for the status of the City though if it became something of a semi-regular event. Besides, I missed most of the Volvo's this year because of a stupid masters so i'd be very happy to get the chance to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

i disagree with people saying it wont be as good. If anything, I think it will be better. Imagine how difficult it was to advertise an event thats never happened before? this time, there will be thousands of people thinking..."damn! that was a good weekend, definitely worth another go.""

There will be a huge amount more volunteers available. And it means the organisers can improve on their design the first time. Even if the weather turns, Im sure after last year there would be room for something along the lines of the heiniken green spheres tent to cover a concert arena.

The choice is resting on whether ireland can put up another entry to the race. Depending on how the rules get revised this time, the Green dragon might actually become suited to the race. This would mean the cost of a new boat would be gone and investment chances will rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

cooperguy wrote: »

its not even announced yet and the begrudgers are out! sure why did we bother havin it in the first place!
    keep up the good work lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Maybe not as good the second time around,but if its half as good as the first, then it will be a success. Lets hope we get it again.

Advertisement