Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

75% attendance to pass?

Options
  • 03-10-2009 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

Hello all, just started in first year and have been told we have to be in 75% of the time to pass the year regardless of your exam results. Is this true or are they just trying to scare us? I noticed that most lectures don't take a roll that often while others do. Can anyone shine some light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Technically true.

They can refuse you admission to your final exams based on a poor attendance.

However, be mindful that it's Sligo you're in and they have feck all money to play with this year. They'll make sure that they have as many as they can moving forward.

They need the cash that they get for having you there!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah they told us this when we started as well. In some of my classes my attendance was definitely below the 75% and it was never even mentioned. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

it's probably more likely to be a consideration if you're borderline pass.
    if you're never in class, they might be less likely to up you to passing grade

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

There may be issues particularly in a module where there are a lot of praticals and there are health and safety issues.

i.e. you could not do your job safely if you were not competant in a particular area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I think its mainly there to scare first years, ive never heard of anyone in sligo IT be refused entry to an exam because of poor attendance. We were told the same story in first year. Attendance for one of our labs was supposed to be worth 5%, but it was at 9am on a monday, so halfway through the year they just added that 5% onto an assessment

That being said, if you aren't in class 75% of the time, you will have a lot of work to do when it comes to exams, some lecturers dont put their notes online, or on the S drive. We had two lecturers that would give us a handout with around 50 slides, with just bare bullet points and we had to write the notes in ourselves in class, if you weren't in, you were pretty much fecked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

it's probably more likely to be a consideration if you're borderline pass.
    if you're never in class, they might be less likely to up you to passing grade

True

I got quite a few 40%'s in my time there,Most likely the good attendance helped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

As mentioned it seems to be used for or against a student in a borderline case. ie. if you were in all the time yet are borderline then they are more likely to pass you and allow you to progress to the next year. Conversely, they will be disinclined to help you if you couldn't bother to attend lectures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

most further ed grants require 75 p/c attendance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 roof

true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

although rppf with his heady 3 post reckons its true i reckon that if you canb get 60% in the exam you don't need to go to class

outside labs i did about 20 hours per year

• Advertisement
Advertisement