Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What thread size and why?

Options
  • 03-10-2009 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

For once I am being an optimist. The light at the end of the tunnel perhaps isn't the oncoming train :D

So, I'm thinking ahead to when my Supernintendo grants me my moderator permit - or whatever it's new incarnation will be. I'll need to get my rifle barrel threaded to accept the new mod.

I've pretty much decided I want to get an ASE Jet-Z CQB. My rifle is a Remington 700 VL SS, so it's got a varmint barrel.

I know there are different thread sizes, but to be honest I know sweet feck all about them. What're the pro's and con's of the different sizes please?

ATB,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

M18x1 seems to be the prettiest heifer at the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

John I got my CZ Varmint 223 threaded in UNF 5/8. The size because that was the biggest I could go on the medium sized barrel, I think bigger is better in this case. And UNF 5/8 because that was what the Sako 75 308 had been threaded in. The Sweedish guns in medium barrel size are 18x1mm Threading cost €60 with a thread protector

I bought an ASE ultra Northstar mod in 30cal to use on both the 223 and 308. It's stainless steel and about 2-1/2 shorter than the T8 and 50grams lighter. It works very well on the 223 but not tried it on the 308 yet.

Reason I got the northstar is I have heard the ASE S5 on a 308 and it works very very well and the northstar is an over barrel version of the S5. Cost €290.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Have an Ase Utra S5 for my .243 and an Ase Utra S7 for my .308. The S5 is 1/2" thread (.243 was a light barrel) and the S7 is 5/8" (.308 is heavy barrel). Both are excellent especially on the .308. Brings it from a loud report to less than .22 Hornett (if not less). Great thing is 1" (approx) drop at 300 yds with moderator on and on the .308 the recoil is lessened like having a muzzle break on. I've since sold the .243 but keeping the S5 for my new 30-06. (if the calibre is too big for my S5 my dealer said he would take it as a trade against a new one)

Would definitely recommend them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What price are ye seeing for the ASE Jet-Z CQB lads? I was quoted €400 + €50 to screw cut, I've seen the screw cut job he's had done before and it looked good, just wondering on the mod price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I paid €320 and €379 for mine. Think i paid a bit much for the S5 but the S7 is almost the same as the Jet-Z so barring difference between dealers it may be around the €380 mark.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i used to use half inch U/F but im now using 14/1 gives a tight fit

Advertisement