Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite meal your mother makes?

Options
  • 03-10-2009 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Favourite meal your mother makes?

My mothers cooking hasn’t changed much since the time I was a kid, always good, but always safe. She is very much from the potato, meat and vege school of cookery and 'foreign' foods like pasta and rice were just alien to her. She would stick to what she knew and did it well...roasts, casseroles and the likes. My personal favourite is was her pot of beef stew with new potatoes....can’t beat it.

My question is: What was / is your favourite meal your mother makes? This can include dinner, desert, breakfast or any other thoughts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

My favourite is my mother's Christmas dinner. She was always and is still fantastic at it. it's not perfect but it tastes amazing. However, my general favourite is her bacon and cabbage. No matter what I do I can't make it as good as hers. She just has the technique down perfectly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

Good Ould Sunday roast:)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

My mother wasn't the greatest cook, there was a lot of us so it was practical cookery. But she did make black pudding from scratch. Our farmer neighbours used to give her the pigs' blood and she'd make the puddings. We'd keep half they'd take the other half. I can still taste it and its been a fruitless lifelong search to find any that tastes anything as good as it.

My Dad used to make the most amazing roast chicken dinner every Sunday. It would cure any hangover :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Smoked cod and onions in a white sauce smothered over a bed of home made chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Beef Bourguinon - I just can't make it like her no matter how often I try... and I use the same recipe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Rice and peas with jerk chicken is one of my mum's best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

sneem-man wrote: »
    Good Ould Sunday roast:)

This, with home made Yorkshire Puddings and homemade gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Have to agree with sneem-man, the Sunday roast. I was there not this Sunday but the previous one and it was amazing. So much better than my own effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The world's absolute best roast beef, with plenty of burnt crispy outside bits to go round!

And a lasagne that's absolutely nothing like a lasagne should be and is one of my favourite things in the whole world to see coming out of the oven

Oooh, and the world's most amazing homemade chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My mother's apple tart is simply unbeatable!
    It's all in the pastry.
    She makes the crumbliest, lightest, tastiest biscuit pastry imaginable.
    Actually, I probably prefer her rhubarb tart but she makes the apple tart more regularly

Technically, I suppose, it's a pie rather than a tart as it's covered with pastry but we always called them tarts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Home made meatballs in a pasta bake type thingy...Deelish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Cleansheets

Beef stew undoubtedly - mine is just not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Mine makes amazing bread and utterly unbelievable Blackberry Tart.

She hates baking with a passion though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

And for desert, my nans bread and butter pudding... yum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Bacon and cabbage definitely with loads of mashed potato. My dad has to mash the potatoes though. I don't even like cabbage and I could gladly eat this dinner for the rest of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

My mom does a truly excellent corned beef and cabbage with parsley sauce - it's all about the ingredients instead of the cooking I think - she practically wrestles the butcher for a good piece of corned beef and she can cook a cabbage in a way that makes it glad to be cabbage - none of this boiled for six hours until the whole house smells of it malarky.

She also does excellent beef stroganoff, the recipe for which I've shared on this forum a number of times!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Miap

My Mom does a a fab casserole with breaded chicken fillets sooo delish!:)
    As for baking she is the queen her scones are off the planet and she also makes chocolate covered oatmeal biscuits wow!! Want them now!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

And for desert, my nans bread and butter pudding... yum

You haven't got the recipe/knack by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

I challenge anyone to make brown bread as good as my mums!!!

Hot out of the oven....smoothered in dairygold........hom nom nom nom....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Oh god my Mam is a brilliant cook. But my favourite dish she makes is a creamy smoked fish pie, made of smoked and white fish baked togther with a sherry sauce. Absolute heaven and I'm sure it doesn't sound half as nice as it is. Smooth, delicate, not overly fishy, just creamy heaven.

If I ever make half the cook my Mam is I'll be doing well.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

LBD wrote: »

I challenge you! My mum makes the best brown bread, gorgeous with real butter on.

My mum is an excellent and great at baking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

Nothing beats your own ma's beef stew.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Christmas dinner, she does the tastiest roast potatoes in the world.. perfectly cooked :D I'm getting hungry just thinking about them :o 'slobbers'

I challenge you! My mum makes the best brown bread, gorgeous with real butter on.

My mum is an excellent and great at baking

I'll see your challenge and raise you some scones!!!!!!! Hom nom nom nom nom nom nom......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

From my mother with dinners it has to be a roast chicken, stuffing, potatoes and gravy. Simple but delicious and I can cook in myself so don't have to wait for her to have it :)
    With other food it's her apple tart, absolutely fantastic.

From my Father it's his beef or chicken stew. He has a way of flavoring it that makes it really tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

LBD wrote: »

Please tell me you mean Kerrygold - it would be a crime to besmirch homemade brown bread with anything other than real butter...

I'll be the first person to admit that the Irish Mammy school of cooking does absolutely nothing for me - I can't think of one single dish she made that I would prefer to something of my own. Don't get me wrong, she was a perfectly good cook, but roast dinners and stews just leave me cold. My favourite dish of hers was coddle but she hardly ever made it cause I was the only one in a family of 7 who ate it, and my own is better. Stone me!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭loalae

I love when my mam makes shepherds pie. It's amazing.

Kerrygold is real butter at its best.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Please tell me you mean Kerrygold - it would be a crime to besmirch homemade brown bread with anything other than real butter...

Nope I meant dairygold! Pretty sure the op asked "what is your favourite meal your mother made" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 festesio

CODDLE! :) i miss my mum.....and her cooking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

She makes stuffing outside the bird for me since I'm veggie, it's so moist though, she puts lots of fresh herbs from the garden, nom nom. Then if there's potatoes left over she'll make me potato cakes with herbs and butter, and she'll bake them for me :) She also does a fantastic channa masala, and the rice is always so perfect. My OH's mother makes divine coleslaw, a spicy salad and these herby wedges that she half fries or something, hands down the best food for a summer evening. My granny makes the best chips, she sticks them in her own white bread with about an inch of butter, about 50grams of fat per bite but divine! She's a fantastic baker too, makes fruity scones for me and bread and butter pudding that's more like a solid tea cake? Bizarre but delicious with a cuppa. Then my best friend's mother makes stuffed peppers with lentils, goat's cheese and chillis, topped off with home made soured cream with lime.

There's a small army of mammie's out there feeding me :D

Advertisement