Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Accessories

• 03-10-2009 1:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

I am planning on purchasing the Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (ZS3) from pixmania.ie and was wondering if there are any accessories that I should bundle with it?

It's my first camera, and I plan to use it for just the normal day to day photos - parties, holidays etc. Nothing professional, at the moment anyways.

I presume I need a case (or do all cameras come with one?). Are there any particularly good cases, or is a case a case?

Should I purchase extra memory? Do cameras come with memory? I have no idea how many photos, or how much video would fit on, say a 1gb card. Can anyone shed some light?

One last question. Is an extra battery necessary? Whats the charge time like on camera batteries?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Get as much memory for as cheap as you can.
    That probably means ignoring the pixmania bundles.
    A couple of these perhaps:
    http://www.memoryc.com/flashmemorycards/sdsecuredigital/8gbsandiskcl2sdhc.html

These are quite cheap well regarded sites:
    http://www.memoryc.com/
    http://www.shop4memory.com/

As regards other accessories I wouldn't bother.
    Pick up a cheap mini tripod in PC World and maybe a pouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Thanks. I might just go for one 8gb card and see how that fairs. I will be transferring all my photos/videos to my computer all the time anyways.

I saw a few pouches on ebay for around €6. Nothing fancy, but I'm sure they will do the job?

As for a tripod, how necessary is it? I can't imagine myself using it besides in my own house!

Thanks.

You can never have too much memory but a single 8GB card is a good start.
    Sandisk are one of the better brands. Don't buy memory from ebay tho, lots of it is fake.

A sock would do as a pouch!

Regarding a tripod I would recommend one if you are shooting in low light and want to experiment. I mentioned it as it is one on the few accessories worth having.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you don't imagine using a tripod then don't buy one. You seem to be looking for just a point & shoot (which is fine) Things like a tripod become necessary if you want to get into photography more.

8Gb sounds like a lot of memory if you are shooting Jpeg's. I shoot RAW and only have 4Gb cards. I think you are better off with a few smaller cards than one large one.

Definitely worth getting a spare battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MobyDick

a neck strap maybe?

• Advertisement

That camera also does HD video, that one of the reasons I mentioned lots of memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭VonLuck

MobyDick wrote: »
    a neck strap maybe?

Where would I get a neck strap?

I presume it comes with a wrist strap anyways, but I guess a neck strap would be handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

I have the TZ5, it's a pretty good camera for day to day use and it fit's easily enough in my pocket. I'd imagine the TZ7 is the same.

I would definitely recommend getting a spare battery or two, you can get some cheaps ones from America on EBay.

Tripod is handy to have for solo travel or otraits, you can pick up a cheap one on dealextreme.

I think it comes with a handy pouch, or at least the TZ5 did.

Advertisement