Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallys & Results in the morning.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Agent J wrote: »
    You miss the point.

The people are supposed to be the supreme authority in this country. We divest some of that to the government but when we mark that box on a referendum ballot we are giving an order. Not a request to go out and take a survery and check if its what we really wanted and then check back in a year although to be honest that what it is looking like a No means these days.

If the governments actions post referenda differ depending on the answer they get then something is wrong because we are responding to the Dail rather then the other way around. (Obviously im not talking about the implementation of the referenda itself).

Let me ask you this, would you like to see a general election tomorrow in order to vote the current government out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

You miss the point.

The people are supposed to be the supreme authority in this country. We divest some of that to the government but when we mark that box on a referendum ballot we are giving an order. Not a request to go out and take a survery and check if its what we really wanted and then check back in a year although to be honest that what it is looking like a No means these days.

If the governments actions post referenda differ depending on the answer they get then something is wrong because we are responding to the Dail rather then the other way around. (Obviously im not talking about the implementation of the referenda itself).

"Giving an order" is precisely what we are not doing - we are answering a question. Referendums do not set policy - they are too blunt an instrument for that.

cordially,
    Scoffllaw

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

You miss the point.

Your version of democracy would grind progress to a halt. There is no negotiation, there is no addressing of people's issues, there is no trying to satisfy people, there's just "NO MEANS NO". It's essentially a country full of Ian Paisley's. I could give you a million examples but lets take the example of people who voted no because they felt the government didn't provide enough information. That's not a problem with the treaty and that's no reason why it should be thrown in the bin. All that's needed to change that person's mind is to send her a few booklets summarising the main points in an accessible way.

So what is so wrong with finding out that she voted no for that reason, addressing her reason by giving her the information she requested and then asking her if she changed her mind? Why should the people of Europe be denied, for example, the new citizen's initiative and why should we leave power in the hands of the unelected commission instead giving it to the parliament as was planned, just because Fianna Fail didn't send this woman a booklet?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    a yes vote will help
    It may help, indirectly.
    That's a long way from "yes for jobs".
    I believe the logic of your argument is biased by your ideology here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

bauderline wrote: »
    Let me ask you this, would you like to see a general election tomorrow in order to vote the current government out ?

Well considering the economic climate has changed and there is now marked differences in what we voted on last time.
    Wait sorry. You meant General election not an EU Ttreaty.

Actually i probably wouldn't being serious. My reasoning being is that people voted for this government since 1997 and now we are seeing what that has brought us. Let it run another year or so so people remember what voting for FF really means next time around.

That is assuming the Greens dont collapse the government by then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Sparks wrote: »
    It may help, indirectly.
    That's a long way from "yes for jobs".
    I believe the logic of your argument is biased by your ideology here.

This is the problem with a poster campaign. I can explain the logic behind that slogan and it makes sense but then it would have to be more of a billboard. I think we can all agree that the whole thing would be run better if posters were banned. They add nothing and damage the environment while they're at it

Scofflaw wrote: »
    "Giving an order" is precisely what we are not doing - we are answering a question. Referendums do not set policy - they are too blunt an instrument for that.

cordially,
    Scoffllaw

Semantics.

We are giving an order as to whether we adopt a policy or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Both constituencies of Donegal have voted No. I propose donating them to Northern Ireland. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ei.sdraob wrote: »

Damn.

Seems Donegal SW is a cliffhanger. Could be 150 votes in it. No win predicted.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Donegal SW declared.

171 votes in it.

No 50.3%, Yes 49.7%.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

turgon wrote: »
    Both constituencies of Donegal have voted No. I propose donating them to Northern Ireland. :pac:

:eek:

Must check out when we voted Yes last.

Even that is some result for the Yes side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yes in Dublin mid-west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Waterford
    Yes: 30,744 (68.53%); No: 14,116 (31.47%)

Swing 22%
    Turnout up 8 %

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Giving an order is precisely what referenda do, if only in a blunt "you may not pursue this policy" form. Were the result ignorable it might be otherwise, but it is constitutionally illegal to ignore it and proceed in the event of a no vote, which is why it's an order and not a mere ignorable question.

Your version of democracy would grind progress to a halt. There is no negotiation, there is no addressing of people's issues, there is no trying to satisfy people, there's just "NO MEANS NO". It's essentially a country full of Ian Paisley's.

You misrepresent my opinions. I have not said that "NO Means NO".
    Do all the nice negotiation stuff you say but when it comes to the crunch they should at least pretend they are asking a question and not simply doing it for form.

If you cant trust the government run an information campaign about a treaty then how in the hell can you trusted them to have negotiated the treaty properly in the first place? ( Please note i am not going into the spefics on Lisbon here)

If the government can't be arsed to run a campaign properly then why on earth should they get another shot on it? Is the matter not that important to them?

Whats worse is now we have precdent set that if they balls up any referednum campaign we'll give them another crack at it in a years time.

Who has the final say in when the question has been answered properly?

Whats worse is now we have precdent set that if they balls up any referednum campaign we'll give them another crack at it in a years time.

That preceedent was set years back.

K-9 wrote: »
    Donegal SW declared.

171 votes in it.

No 50.3%, Yes 49.7%.

*steps out of other debate*

Heh.

Sweary Mary can't even deliver her own home turf?

Thats our Taniste!

Well considering the economic climate has changed and there is now marked differences in what we voted on last time.
    Wait sorry. You meant General election not an EU Ttreaty.

Actually i probably wouldn't being serious. My reasoning being is that people voted for this government since 1997 and now we are seeing what that has brought us. Let it run another year or so so people remember what voting for FF really means next time around.

That is assuming the Greens dont collapse the government by then.

Ahhh curious indeed... so when people vote for FF in consecutive elections they are fools that don't know what they are doing and should be taught a lesson, however when it comes to the referendum their first choice was correct and wise and must be taken as final ?

Indeed....

mike65 wrote: »
    That preceedent was set years back.

And now we have re inforced its vailitiy with a repeat case.

Do you think this is a good thing?

• Advertisement

bauderline wrote: »
    Ahhh curious indeed... so when people vote for FF in consecutive elections they are fools that don't know what they are doing and should be taught a lesson, however when it comes to the referendum their first choice was correct and wise and must be taken as final ?

Indeed....

Thats a hell of an interesing spin on it.

Yeah. Teach them a lesson by agreeing that the party they elected should stay in power. Actions meet consequences. I may not like it but if the majority of people speak kinda have to listen.

As for the referendum question. Go back and read through the posts. Im not repeating myself again. If you are bringing the GE in as a comparison it has already been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭USE

Nigel Farage is talking on RTE. Eat that, Nigel! :P

And this guy some time ago was talking about how the EU interrupts into IE national matter. Now look how a bunch of liars from UK are doing the same plus hypocritically.

And now we have re inforced its vailitiy with a repeat case.

Do you think this is a good thing?

The government of the day has always had the power to put a case forward more than once, the public has always had the power to reject that case more than once. Whether it is a good or bad thing is a moot point for me.

You misrepresent my opinions. I have not said that "NO Means NO".
    Do all the nice negotiation stuff you say but when it comes to the crunch they should at least pretend they are asking a question and not simply doing it for form.

If you cant trust the government run an information campaign about a treaty then how in the hell can you trusted them to have negotiated the treaty properly in the first place? ( Please note i am not going into the spefics on Lisbon here)
    You don't have to trust them, you can read the treaty for yourself.
    If the government can't be arsed to run a campaign properly then why on earth should they get another shot on it? Is the matter not that important to them?

The matter was important to them last time but they thought the result was in the bag and it probably was until Ganley et all showed up. The failings of the Irish government, while many and varied, are irrelevant to whether the treaty would be good for the country and the EU or not. What we got last time was not the will of the people, it was the will of Declan Ganley and Gerry Adams who fooled the people.

A government is supposed to represent its people. As well as getting them to vote that also means steering the country in the direction that they feel is best. They did not feel that a no vote was in the interests of the country so there's nothing wrong with trying to convince people. This isn't a quiz show where you have to take someone's first answer. If they ask people why they voted no to something and they find that the objections to the proposal are irreconcilable of course the proposals will have to be dropped but that's not what happened here. The people voted no because of FUD that was deliberately spread by Ganley and a bunch of misfits and extremists and as soon as people realised that they changed their minds. I think the €1.84 posters were the biggest help to the yes campaign because it was such a blatant lie that it tarred the entire no campaign with the reputation it very much deserved

Also, as Mike65 says we already have a precedent for multiple votes

(1.34pm) Voters in Sligo-North Leitrim have approved the treaty by 64.45% to No 35.55%.

(1.32pm) Cork South Central has voted in favour of the treaty by 66.85% to 33.15%.

(1.30pm) Dublin Mid-West has voted Yes by 61.49% to 38.51%.

I think the €1.84 posters were the biggest help to the yes campaign because it was such a blatant lie that it tarred the entire no campaign with the reputation it very much deserved

Yupp, that blew their credibility clean out the window with a lot people...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Delighted with the Kildare North results;

Yes - 76.2
    No - 23.8

Up 21.6% on the last referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

. What we got last time was not the will of the people, it was the will of Declan Ganley and Gerry Adams who fooled the people.

What we got today was the result of scaremongering and downright lies regarding the impact on our economy were we to vote no. Do we go again in six months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

had to be something in for it if intel/ryanair wanted people to vote yes,specially coming from the no side about the legal use of cheap labour seems possible i.e like time argos flew in workers from england when irish staff went on strike,i belive it one because the gov here is useless when comes to workers rights unlike the german goverment who made the buyers of opel keep most jobs in germany along with its funding...

• Advertisement

dan719 wrote: »
    What we got today was the result of scaremongering and downright lies regarding the impact on our economy were we to vote no. Do we go again in six months?

Please read the preceding few pages to see how it's not a lie

Advertisement