Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x01/02 "Air" - **Spoilers**

Options
  • 03-10-2009 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭

Indeed....

sgu1.jpg

Your first impression of SGU? 83 votes

Chevron 9 is Locked
    0% 0 votes
    Shiney. But gritty. Shritty.
    44% 37 votes
    It's No'Niell but I'll take it
    33% 28 votes
    The Last Starfighter? Anyone!?
    18% 15 votes
    Close the Iris
    3% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

eyes closed eyesclosed - didn't see your post - vote overheal ! i want to know what to expect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

what to expect? .... I'm going to say, Don't expect. I didn't know what to expect either. And thats the mindset from which I viewed it.

Below are my discussion thoughts once you've watched it.
    Totally definitely not the sum of my fears for the show. Pilots are always awkward in places.

Like, video game talent seeking? Really? I think I saw that in a Disney move once. And when did Daniel Jackson become Troy McClure? When did Jack become so fat? My gawd. Its really noticeable when you watch the full scene. Somewhere 20 LY away from earth, Carter is glad she never made that mistake.

But first thing you have to appreciate from the opening shot on, is the gloriously stupid high production budget attached to the show. Special effects have never been crisper on a stargate offering and the level of detail is stunning. There are some explosions that will make you kick your own ass for not owning DVR.

I think its far to early to say anything about the shows longevity. They had about enough time to throw in enough of Carlyle's forced acting to leave me unsure. At the moment, the only thing the show has to offer is a rehash of every piece of sci fi to date: bit of Sliders, BSG, Voyager, Emmanuelle (oh yes - even more so if you think about the ancient communication stones), and oh yeah: stargate. Ha.

About the only shot that really made me think this show might have potential from an originality PoV is when they show the route the Destiny has taken on the Starmap. Nobody has ever really tackled what is out that far, and it makes me wonder. And other cool bits, like the reason behind the Icharus base. And the 9 chevron address. I think if they actually try and bring up the real questions about the Universe and get less bogged down in epiodic teen angst smut, somewhat predictable story tie-ins, the show might stand half a chance.

Its a 3 parter, so Im sure we're missing an important leg of the tripod here. So far I'm going to give it a thumbs up and see where it goes.

ah - cant read spoilers :) iull jusrt wait it was on the net there about 10 min ago - on route now

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

if youre not watching it in HD youll be sorrrry.

hmmmm ok then ill just go to bed and get a hd one in the morning

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

waiting for the hd myself.

HURRY UP!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Just waiting for the 720p to download :)

First impressions anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'll give that a thumbs up. Good to have it back. No sign of a medieval village set, so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Not watched it in HD, only a HDTV rip. But it was damn nice. Going to wait for it to air on Sky HD this week to get all the lovelyness. That will do me.

The show its self, I liked. I enjoyed watching it, I liked the FLD SFX very well done. Cant wait to see what other routes the show takes. From what I have seen the first few deal with things like Air, Water, Food and so on. So should be interesting.

Now I cant wait for part 3!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

wow just wow

i love it! i love the new direction!

watched the HD version this morning

the camera work is excellent, the attention to detail is stunning, the graphics made me pause and admire

best part of the premiere was the sound and the music, they have outdone themselves

once again i love the new direction and the new characters, compared to the last few seasons of the other gates which were getting ridiculous this had me on edge of my seat grinning :D

cant wait to see more now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

Really enjoyed this!
    Hopefully a decent opening title sequence coming soon.

I definitely recommend getting the HD versions

it is worth the wait

once again, they have outdid themselves! lock yourself in a room and turn up the sound!

im gonna try not to spoil anything:

* if anyone thinks this is BSG, it is not! BSG is downright depressing in the must commit suicide sense, this on the other hand is dark but in a more realist kind of way, and yes there is humor in it :)

* if anyone think this is Voyager, oh boy voyager looks likes swiss cheese compared to this

now a comparison to other Gates, I really like the new characters, i dont feel like im watching McGuiver over and over

and whats more important unlike Atlantis, you can not predict what happens next!
    did anyone notice how chubby O'Neil and Carter got?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I didnt like it. I was the same way when atlantis started. So ill reserve judgement till anotehr few eps.

Stokolan wrote: »
    I didnt like it. I was the same way when atlantis started. So ill reserve judgement till anotehr few eps.

Watch Atlantis premiere

its cheese compared to this

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Watched the first part and its pretty good but no stand out characters like O'Neill, M'kay or Sheppard so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I enjoyed it. I think Eli is a good character - haven't mind my mind up about anyone else yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Gotta say, I really liked it :D

Nicely dark but not overly so and of all the characters the only ones I really didnt like were the senator (I dont know what it is, just the look of him pissed me off :p) and the IOA one who seemed really pointless and petty with her "You were in detention for good reason...I'm just wondering what to do about it now" comment. Seriously, you're stuck in a spaceship feck knows where running out of oxygen and the only thing your concerned with is putting someone back in lockup? ffs :rolleyes:

JohnK wrote: »
    Gotta say, I really liked it :D

Nicely dark but not overly so and of all the characters the only ones I really didnt like were the senator (I dont know what it is, just the look of him pissed me off :p) and the IOA one who seemed really pointless and petty with her "You were in detention for good reason...I'm just wondering what to do about it now" comment. Seriously, you're stuck in a spaceship feck knows where running out of oxygen and the only thing your concerned with is putting someone back in lockup? ffs :rolleyes:

well thats the thing

we dont know what he did to deserve that treatment?

more importantly
    people die in this!

and its not rushed, hence making people comeback for more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    more importantly
    people die in this!

Also:
    sex in Stargate
    :eek: - guess that's part of the new "direction"...

I did like it overall. Recruiting Eli was like something out of the "Last Starfighter" (yeah, I'm old :)) but still, his character makes a lot of sense, as he is used to "introduce" people to the premise who have no previous concept of Stagate in general from the previous two shows.

Watching in HD is totally worth it - some mighty fine shots of the Destiny in there too.

Still, without any off world (or should it be off ship now?) activity since the third part of "Air" is MIA, it's hard to make a full judgment of where this will go. Looks promising though and any Stargate is better than none IMO :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

well thats the thing

we dont know what he did to deserve that treatment?

more importantly
    people die in this!

and its not rushed, hence making people comeback for more :)

True but still it just stinks of "doing things by the book" which doesnt really apply when you're in the situation they're in. Whatever he did the fact is hes no use to anyone if hes locked in a room somewhere so my attitude would be use him and if necessary deal with whatever else he did when back in some sort of normal environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Jaysus...
    it was hardly worth getting Lou Diamond Philips, was it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I really enjoyed it. Would have prefered if it had been the full 3 parter, but what we got was polished, darker then usual, but still felt similar to what we all want in Stargate. Lets hope they can keep it up.
    James74 wrote: »
    Jaysus...
    it was hardly worth getting Lou Diamond Philips, was it?
    I'd say we'll see him again. He was probably beamed up to/docked with the Hammond before it jumped away.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd say we'll see him again. He was probably beamed up to/docked with the Hammond before it jumped away.

Ill say, he will be back definitely
    but via the Long range communicator device yoke

which is an interesting plot tool

Overheal wrote: »
    if youre not watching it in HD youll be sorrrry.

thankyoo! - That Hata'k looked
    AMAZING

Better than i expected aright but a bit dissapointed no leaked episode 3:( i really thought the people buying it on ebay would upload it (some press kits with the first 3 episodes are on ebay going for about 200 dollars each)

Anyway it was a good episode i liked Lt Scot - seemed like the best character introduced so far.

One thing im wondering is episode 3 - in the SG1 & SGA pilots we where introduced to an enemy in the pilot - will there be a hostile race/lifeform on the planet?

I am still wondering how serious the show is going to take itself - it was an emergency evacuation and we saw everyone going through the gate - i didnt see any change of cloating for the civvies or anyone else - will the cloths they are wearing now be it for the season? - what happens if someone gets shot or lit on fire will there be a mark on what they are wearing for the rest of the season? Soap/cleaning products make-up ect. - will the charactors look good&clean in 15 episode or will they be mankey looking? Ancients showers/toilets ect

Still im enjoying it even though i have no clue where the show is going or even a remote idea of what it will be like week to week. :)

i was thinking 7 out of 10 but that Hata'k - and the Alkiash coming in - wow i give it an 8 out of 10 and i normally don't care about the effects but i was not expecting to see that!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I kept this as a "treat" for myself this evening - I actually enjoyed it a lot. Thought it was a strong pilot in that it set up the premise and introduced us to all the characters including a little bit of background.

I only watched it in the regular version (still don't have a HDTV and didn't want to watch it on my monitor) but it still looked fantastic.

Characters were a good mix - Eli was to my mind the most familiar from the Stargate mould: a young, slightly dysfunctional genius. The role was played well.

Rush as the darker genius, clearly with a hidden agenda, could be quite interesting. Clearly he's not meant to be likeable at first and it'll be interesting to see how his personality rubs up against the rest of the crew.

Scott, whom I knew little of, quite impressed me. He was one of those people who some fans were fearing was the "90210" element but the actor playing him pulled off a very credible performance of a young lieutenant under severe pressure and just about coping. Could be quite interesting.

None of the rest have made an impression yet, but it's very early days and I'm liking what I'm seeing.

The ratings are pretty decent - the best since Atlantis Season 2 and, in the 18-49 demographic, the best premier since BSG. We'll see if it the ratings and the quality keeps up over the next few weeks.

User45701 wrote: »
    Anyway it was a good episode i liked Lt Scot - seemed like the best character introduced so far.

yes there was a focus on himself

One thing im wondering is episode 3 - in the SG1 & SGA pilots we where introduced to an enemy in the pilot - will there be a hostile race/lifeform on the planet?

from what I gather there wont be an ever present enemy like before, the enemy is their inexperience and situation,
    but Destiny was damaged from what looks like weapons fire, also since the ship jumps from galaxy to galaxy so unless the enemy gets in board...

I am still wondering how serious the show is going to take itself - it was an emergency evacuation and we saw everyone going through the gate - i didnt see any change of cloating for the civvies or anyone else - will the cloths they are wearing now be it for the season? - what happens if someone gets shot or lit on fire will there be a mark on what they are wearing for the rest of the season? Soap/cleaning products make-up ect. - will the charactors look good&clean in 15 episode or will they be mankey looking? Ancients showers/toilets ect

ill expect they would get dirtier and more battered with time, the show is alot more realistic (and i love that!) and
    people die!

Still im enjoying it even though i have no clue where the show is going or even a remote idea of what it will be like week to week. :)

Yes that the exciting part, its so different that you cant predict where it would go, unlike Atlantis and SG1 (later seasons) which were way too predictable, i mean by watching the first 10 mins you could predict the ending, which was getting rather annoying

cant wait for episode 3 and beyond

there are few trailers online, and the planets they visit look very different from what were used to it seems

no longer do they all look the same Canada wilderness worlds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Battlestargate Galactiverse!

I doesn't feel right, not yet, it's just not Stargate without witty banter and earth references that make aliens look blankly at each other, THAT'S WHAT MADE STARGATE! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Didnt feel like stargate at all big let down tbh

bizmark wrote: »
    Didnt feel like stargate at all big let down tbh

what did you expect? a McGuiver like moment?? we had 15 seasons of that and imho it got rather boring and predictable

roll on Universe, i re watched the premier and cant wait now for more and how they solve the problem and how characters develop, its not the same regurgitated McCay saves the day story as before

its more... human ... down to earth (well as far as sci-fi goes) but not underground in a grave like BSG :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

its not the same regurgitated McCay saves the day story as before
    some one has to save the day over and over,:D

thought it was ecellent well part 2 anyway, part one even though i could follow it, didnt really need all the time jumping, its a cheap tool that i really dislike,

i like lieutenant scott, but i prefered young, i think he will become a great caracter, id say he will become the leader of the this expedition, and he will need to be a good mix of weir and hammond, the show i feel will succeed or fail on his performance,

hard to say where rush will end up, i suppose he would be third in command after wray (who even though is the most senior official there, seems incapable of leading such an expedition) and young,

lookin forward to part 3, :cool:

also seen someone has gone to the trouble of listing all the caracters backrounds on IMDB here

Advertisement