Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x01/02 "Air" - **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    what did you expect? a McGuiver like moment?? we had 15 seasons of that and imho it got rather boring and predictable

roll on Universe, i re watched the premier and cant wait now for more and how they solve the problem and how characters develop, its not the same regurgitated McCay saves the day story as before

its more... human ... down to earth (well as far as sci-fi goes) but not underground in a grave like BSG :D

Odd as this may seem i watched stargate from the start because it was stargate not a "down to earth gritty sci fi with sex!!! and random shaky close ups" if i wanted that depressing crap i would of watched bsg still ill give it a few episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

I was pleasantly surprised with this. I really liked the opening sequence. Like the falshbacks, and the darker atmophere. I hope it doesnt end up as cheesy as atlantis though. I liked atlantis for what it was but its time for something different.

Was anyone else a bit suspicious of Dr Rush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

bizmark wrote: »
    Odd as this may seem i watched stargate from the start because it was stargate not a "down to earth gritty sci fi with sex!!! and random shaky close ups" if i wanted that depressing crap i would of watched bsg still ill give it a few episodes

as if there is any other sci-fi to watch nowadays :(

the moaning fans killed star trek before, seems they will do the same to stargate :( give the producers a chance they are trying something new here

im just delighted we will get a new team going thru the gate everyweek, and the characters this time feel like real people

one of the reasons Atlantis plummeted was the "meh" factor and they absolutely bothched up the final seasons and finale, even the final season of SG1 was "bleh" too much spaceship battles not enough gate travel, and some terrible jokes
    unlike Atlantis which seems to have remained in shiny condition after few thousand years this "feels" old and that only ads to the mystery :)

anyways i want to see part 3 of air, thats when we apparently get to see some aliens (who are not wearing rubber masks) and new alien planet (desert) and how the team solves the usual problems :)

im not sure why you think this is anything like battlestar? shakky cam where? the only similiraty would be in the dark color pallete of the ship

the music for this was amazing and as i said i sat on edge of couch grinning, delighted that i get to watch more stargate, theres absolutely nothing else left on tv nowadays, it got so bad that i started rewatching old star trek and stargate series

/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

cotwold wrote: »
    Was anyone else a bit suspicious of Dr Rush?

Everyone is suspicious of him I would think - that's the way his character is written. He obviously cares about his own agenda/experiments more than anyone/anything else. It'd be surprising if you didn't find him suspicious!

On further taught

I think Universe has found something that was lost since about Season 2 of SG1

people stepping thru and not knowing whats on the other side, that expectation the questions about the unknown and what will our characters do

everything since has been the exact same predictable forest world with little village and yet another race of bad guys who are all universally stupid and retardingly not evil enough :D

anyways will wait till part 3, im pissed of they havent shown it all :)

and then there are so many questions that need to be revealed, im delighted they didnt do the same job on it as atlantis which just felt too rushed and rediculos at times

• Advertisement

J-blk wrote: »
    Everyone is suspicious of him I would think - that's the way his character is written. He obviously cares about his own agenda/experiments more than anyone/anything else. It'd be surprising if you didn't find him suspicious!

Oh good so it is being written that way, im really looking forward to seeing how these conflicting interests play out.

I liked the power struggle element already, where nobody believed that O'Niel had put him in charge of the expedition.
    and retardingly not evil enough :D

Yeah it would be nice if the bad guys were actually scary this time but i dont know that having a some bad guy race of aliens would do it many favours this time. Its too formulaic, why not have the antagonism come from within.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Liked it alot. The HD version was def worth it! Jasys, Colonel Jack O'Neill got fat in the face! and when did the Sci-Fi channel turn into SyFy channel....I know I notice silly things :D

Anyway, this is one show thats on my download list. Liked the humour especially with Eli and his "flying cameras"

I would be interested in learning how the hell did they found a gate with a 9th chevron. Or the base they set up. Or how was the gate powered, was it the planet core?

cotwold wrote: »
    Oh good so it is being written that way, im really looking forward to seeing how these conflicting interests play out.

I liked the power struggle element already, where nobody believed that O'Niel had put him in charge of the expedition.

yeh would O'Neill really put a civilian in charge of such a disaster of an evacuation?

What did happen at the other side with these stones?

I liked how the characters played their part, there was despair/confusion/conflict and so on

as would happen in real life, there is no clearcut leader, and thats yet another problem for them to solve

AntiRip wrote: »
    Liked it alot. The HD version was def worth it! Jasys, Colonel Jack O'Neill got fat in the face! and when did the Sci-Fi channel turn into SyFy channel....I know I notice silly things :D
    my taughts exactly about O'Neil :)

AntiRip wrote: »
    I would be interested in learning how the hell did they found a gate with a 9th chevron. Or the base they set up. Or how was the gate powered, was it the planet core?

I taught they all had 9 chevrons? as for power something about the planet having a radioactive core and them spending alot of time trying to find such a location

yeh would O'Neill really put a civilian in charge of such a disaster of an evacuation?

What did happen at the other side with these stones?

Exactly, we'll have to see when the other expedition members are chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good first ep, if Id had the third one I would have watched it straight after the first 2 and its been a looong time since SG has been that good.
    If they start visiting Medieval villages in this Ill fecking scream.

• Advertisement

people stepping thru and not knowing whats on the other side, that expectation the questions about the unknown and what will our characters do

That is an interesting point but I do wonder if they'll water down that element soon - the flying camera spheres are essentially substitutes for the MALPs so now they kind of have a way of knowing where they are going again, rather than just jumping through the gate...

Another "problem" that comes up with SGU is will they still encounter a bunch of English speaking people on different planets? In both SG-1 and SGA, we could suspend our disbelief and accept that the Goa'uld had dropped these people there (or they were descendant from the Ancients/Wraith food in SGA) but how does that jive with SGU's world? They are now galaxies away from everything known. That's why I'm really looking forward to watching the 3rd part of "Air" as it essentially will be the first time we get to see how the weekly story of stepping through the gate really works...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They've already said that unmanned seeder ships had gone out and seeded the place with stargates, I bet they'll just keep running into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Holding back judgement on this for a few more episodes.

First my issues with it:
    > flashbacks - why are all the shows doing this - I am getting dizzy from them all.
    > Voyager anyone? - except unlike voyager this ship is pointed the opp direction and is heading outwards.... Nice little twist there with limiting the time spent on any trip out...

Like the way it was filmed and some of the interactions of the new crew. Just so glad that you know who is dead. Annoyed me in all the other shows he was in - saw him in this and thought - either die or I switch this off.

As I said though - interesting start. Hope they manage to make more of it than a Voyager clone.

That is an interesting point but I do wonder if they'll water down that element soon - the flying camera spheres are essentially substitutes for the MALPs so now they kind of have a way of knowing where they are going again, rather than just jumping through the gate...

Another "problem" that comes up with SGU is will they still encounter a bunch of English speaking people on different planets? In both SG-1 and SGA, we could suspend our disbelief and accept that the Goa'uld had dropped these people there (or they were descendant from the Ancients/Wraith food in SGA) but how does that jive with SGU's world? They are now galaxies away from everything known. That's why I'm really looking forward to watching the 3rd part of "Air" as it essentially will be the first time we get to see how the weekly story of stepping through the gate really works...

apparently the aliens are meant to be very "alien" and id say thats whats gonna happen, allot of money was put into this and the quality of visual effects is stunning

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/10/review-stargate-universe-catches-air/
    Taken together, “Air” Parts 1 and 2 are a fine set-up for the show and an illustration of how SGU is about people, more than technology, alien planets, or the plot of the week. Neither of these episodes, however, represents what we think is going to be a typical hour of the show. For that, you’ll need to hold out for the end of the story and come back for “Air, Part 3″ on October 9.

SGU makes use of impressive new vistas to depict galaxies far, far away.
    sgu_airreview_04.jpg
    In the final hour of what is really an extended pilot, the human refugees must send a team to an alien planet to find what they need to keep breathing. It’s a trip through the Stargate to a vast, desert world in a galaxy where no human being has ever set foot. In so many ways, this is what Stargate is all about — and has always been about. But SGU gives the classic “trip through the gate” formula a new twist (or three): Instead of exploring a planet, meeting a village of humans, and finding (or causing) a crisis, here the characters are on a continual mission of survival. Air. Water. Food. Like plane crash survivors in the wilderness, they need to stay alive long enough to find a way home. And there aren’t any medieval villages to go to for aid.

yes i always found aliens talking English funny :) at least in star trek they had universal translator thingie

and them villages all looked the same

Taltos wrote: »
    As I said though - interesting start. Hope they manage to make more of it than a Voyager clone.
    doesn't feel like Voyage at all (i recently watched all 7 seasons during summer), only similarity is being stranded in space, but thats common theme in sci-fi (points at Atlantis too)

Voyager had starfleet officers who are trained for long term missions, and i was always amazed how the ship was clean and brand new every week, Destiny on other hand is full of holes, and seems the next few episodes would be about the characters dealing with the place falling apart (something that should have been done in Atlantis!)

i would love to see them explore the ship, whats behind them doors with an X?

and the new gate is cool, i heard that its not meant to be as reliable since its older gate technology (should be fun) and then theres that countdown yoke (12 hours is it?)

/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Before I watched this, I was worried about the parallels between the storyline for this and Voyager. Thankfully, the pilot blew that away. Sure, there are similar story ideas, but the tone is completely different and there are enough unknown elements to make this stand out on its own (and stand head and shoulders above voyager).

Liked it alot, and look forward to seeing what happens next.

Just stay away from Medieval villages, and if I ever hear the metallic scuttle of a f**king replicator in this show, I won't be happy.... keep it fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lads, could we keep air part 3 stuff in a pre air thread please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

i would love to see them explore the ship, whats behind them doors with an X?
    Hull breaches and the vacuum of space I'd imagine - thats what was behind one of them anyway when they had Eli open the door from the main controls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭telemachus

I'm not sure if I missed something about how those personality swapping magic stones work but aren't they rather missing out on an opportunity with those things? Just for a start they keep going on about how their only doctor is "just a medic" , couldn't they stick a highly trained doctor from earth onto one of the stones and call him up when needed, the same goes for calling up Mckay/Jackson/Carter et al for general tinkering/puzzle solving so as to avoid relying totally on the rather dubious Rush? Or are these things just one way to earth, still, you'd think they could at least send Rush or Eli back periodically to update and work with other experts.

telemachus wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I missed something about how those personality swapping magic stones work but aren't they rather missing out on an opportunity with those things? Just for a start they keep going on about how their only doctor is "just a medic" , couldn't they stick a highly trained doctor from earth onto one of the stones and call him up when needed, the same goes for calling up Mckay/Jackson/Carter et al for general tinkering/puzzle solving so as to avoid relying totally on the rather dubious Rush? Or are these things just one way to earth, still, you'd think they could at least send Rush or Eli back periodically to update and work with other experts.
    Very good point. Great plot device and opportunity for guest stars. Now that I think about it i'm sure that's the way the writers will go with it. Probably for the first few episodes it'll be all about survival. But once things stabilise i'd expect to see the stones being pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

When they used those stones in SG1 it sent Vala & Jackson to the Ori galaxy but their bodies with (presumably?) the Ori galaxy peoples consciousness were unconscious on beds in the infirmary so it may not be possible for earth people to come to the ship if you understand me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm not sure if I missed something about how those personality swapping magic stones work but aren't they rather missing out on an opportunity with those things?
    Give them a chance - we're only in the pilot and they're desperately focusing on the likes of getting air. I'm sure it'll come up in the next few weeks.

JohnK wrote: »
    When they used those stones in SG1 it sent Vala & Jackson to the Ori galaxy but their bodies with (presumably?) the Ori galaxy peoples consciousness were unconscious on beds in the infirmary so it may not be possible for earth people to come to the ship if you understand me.

Yep, I remember that - the stones didn't allow "body swapping" in itself, just the one side's consciousness taking over the other side's body temporarily. Was it ever established though if each stone in a set has the one function or is it down to who initiates the swap? So if a person on earth initiated it, they could take over a person on the Destiny?

Yep, I remember that - the stones didn't allow "body swapping" in itself, just the one side's consciousness taking over the other side's body temporarily. Was it ever established though if each stone in a set has the one function or is it down to who initiates the swap? So if a person on earth initiated it, they could take over a person on the Destiny?
    I'm sure that could be open to change if the writers so wanted or even if someone is lying unconscious in the SGC we won't really care.

I could only vaguely recall the episode where they were introduced so i'm not sure if they ever spelt out specifically how they worked but it just seems if they can straight swap, or send from the SGC side to the ship, with the desperate race to get life support working the first thing they'd do is trade some effectively useless civilians for access to Mckay/Carter etc. Still if the writers were extremely cheeky they could have all the old Stargate regulars popping up for "guest appearances" without ever actually using the actors themselves by conveniently ignoring the SGC end :p .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

What was the deal with Rush using the stones? He just took control of Dr. Lee back on Earth and then the scene ended? I assume O'Neill didn't give him command but I'd like to know what did happen

Maybe after an existence in the series entirely consisting of cockups and condescension from Rodney Lee's grapsing his one chance to shine and has kidnapped Rush's body and appointed himself leader by order of O'Neill. Now he just needs to work out how to get back to earth and finally the Stargate fans will give him the adoration he deserves. And Carter will sleep with him.

apparently the stones would be like how the old actors would make appearance

Richard Dean Anderson will be in this quite a bit i heard
    What was the deal with Rush using the stones?

i have a nagging feeling he disabled the device or made it so only he can use it in some way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Mr E wrote: »

Just stay away from Medieval villages, and if I ever hear the metallic scuttle of a f**king replicator in this show, I won't be happy.... keep it fresh.

Sorry but i don't see them not having them....

Remember in sg1 season 5 episode 1 : exodus? where they blew up the sun at the end of season 4 and ended up in a distant galaxy with apophis - there where replicators there and she ship was unknown/alien. The asguard cant have been the only race in the universe battling them and when they broadcast the "come forth" throughout the "known universe" i dont think every single replicator in the entire universe had the means to get to the asguard homeworld.

I don't want replicators but given what we know about them its a certainty.

what about replicators mark II - ones similar but coincidently built by a completely different race?

When we get replicators if one of them is "terminator style" from AOK then i will switch it off

(if i am wrong you can correct me when universe finishes its run or gets cancelled) :) but i don't see them not being in it.

Oh and another thing that would really really piss me off is if the introduction of the replicators ended on either a mid season or season ending cliff hanger because i would be in no rush to see the next part unless it was very ****ing good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I enjoyed it. Great introduction to the new show and new characters.

I couldn't help but associating it with other scifi shows are Overheal mentioned earlier especially BSG (Documentary "shaky" camera angles, more realistic feel) Sliders (The time per planet) and Voyager (obviously ending up on the other side of the universe unprepared and trying to get back).

I don't think these comparisons took anything away from it, the show still managed to make itself different and interesting.

Scott is a solid character and although Rush reminds me alot of Baltar he's definitely caught my attention regarding his motives.

SFX were fantastic and I thought the music was a perfect fit for the show.

About the stones, i'm very interested in finding out what exactly rush did on Earth, i wouldn't be surprised in he didn't tell anyone at all about the situation and only did something to further his own research. O'Neill would never put him in charge.

The only scene that I thought they got completely wrong was after the Senator killed himself to save the day. I understand his daughter was upset but the scene in the observation deck when Scott was consoling her was far too long and cheesy for my liking. That was the only part that I worried about the idea that stargate was looking to appeal to a younger audience. Felt almost like something from the OC.

So can't wait to see what the planets are like and what else is on the ship. I'll definitely be watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Carlyle is a shaky character. Im not decided whether its just bad acting (which ive never liked of his, ill be hoenst) Or that his character is infact some narcissistic megalomaniac type who wants to take over the universe....but probably the former. He's probably just one of these uber scientist types that gets too caught up in their research to be fully human. I suspect we'll see the conversation on Earth in part 3.

Stargates have always had 9 chevrons to whomever asked that question:

stargate_replica_mirror.JPG

Its something I noticed when I was doodling it in my French Copy many years back. The 5th Race covered the 8th Chevron bit but I did always wonder about the 9th.
    About the stones, i'm very interested in finding out what exactly rush did on Earth, i wouldn't be surprised in he didn't tell anyone at all about the situation and only did something to further his own research. O'Neill would never put him in charge.

That or he was left in charge given the situation. It was a scientific scenario, not a military one. Which did make him the most qualified person onboard Destiny, especially with the present military Commander, incapacitated, and Life Support failing, with no clear way to dial Earth given the uncertain energy capacity of Destiny. And the doc he took over (i cant remember his name) was waiting next to the stone, being watched intently by an MP: They were anticipating someone to make contact through the stone. It seems unlikely he was able to "Get away" with anything.

As for the Destiny it doesnt look very big. No Atlantis, anyway. Maybe about the size of a Wraith Hive ship if not smaller. To have it hold up as well as it has, seems pretty impressive actually.

Advertisement