Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x01/02 "Air" - **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

just one more question perhaps someone could fill me in. Is there a different symbol for point of origin on every single stargate?

I'm just wondering if the gate they used to dial destiny would normally have both its own point of origin symbol and the one for earth as well.

Can't remember how its supposed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Volvagia wrote: »
    just one more question perhaps someone could fill me in. Is there a different symbol for point of origin on every single stargate?

I'm just wondering if the gate they used to dial destiny would normally have both its own point of origin symbol and the one for earth as well.

Good explanation here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Was Chevron 9 ever mentioned in the SG before this new series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Was Chevron 9 ever mentioned in the SG before this new series?

it was always an unknown

i originally taught 9th shevron would allow them travel other dimensions :D when i first heard of a new series :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Is the ship intelligent?...equiped with AI?, long haired Scotish dude seemed to suggest the ship would provide for them?

So what?....the ship is on a preprogrammed journey heading, somewhere...we don't know. Now it has passengers the ship will stop off at various points whereby the crew will get fresh supplies and materials to fix the ship.

They visit worlds along the way.........is that it?????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    it was always an unknown

i originally taught 9th shevron would allow them travel other dimensions :D when i first heard of a new series :D

before SGU i always thought it was used to reach the furling galaxy

• Registered Users Posts: 82,474 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

THOUGHT

sorry, but thats been bugging me.

The original Earth gate had a unique Point of Origin symbol, a Dot, and several others have had some whacky ones too iirc. But symbols are rarely unique. Earth's location can still be used as a dialing coordinate in a normal 6 digit address, theoretically.

Overheal wrote: »
    The original Earth gate had a unique Point of Origin symbol, a Dot, and several others have had some whacky ones too iirc. But symbols are rarely unique. Earth's location can still be used as a dialing coordinate in a normal 6 digit address, theoretically.

What? :) im not that drunk but....

What ???

User45701 wrote: »
    What? :) im not that drunk but....

What ???
    Season 1, Solitudes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I would imagine that the bet use of the stones is to deliver badly needed training to people who don't have a clue whats going on around them. They could ship Carter over to them for a couple of months and hey presto they're trained up to read ancient/fix things/blow up suns etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

To those who mentioned the episode where the stones were first used to visit the Ori galaxy - there was a problem with the machine, thats why it was only one way.

Theres another episode with the stones in SGA where there clearly is a body swapping element / two way communication.

It was screaming in my mind the whole way though the episode why not swap someone for the doctor.

Citizan Joe - season 8 i thnk it was the 5th last episode which would make it episode 15 or 16 of season 8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I could have sworn that in Citizan Joe they only shared memories not actually took over each others bodies though? How else would Jack have written his mission reports and Joe written his stories? I cant remember the episode from SGA though - anyone know which one it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Bodan

Im a bit disappointed with the first 2 episodes. It dosent feel like Stargate . It is too dark and came across as an exact replica of Battlestar Galactica(flashbacks included).

Hopefully I will come to see it in its own right and it will grow on me. On its own it is a very interesting show but as a Stargate franchise, meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I havent seen it yet but if its more like BSG and less like the old Stargate then that is a good start in my books. After seeing the 1st series of BSG, SG1\Atlantis were never the same for me.

Bodan wrote: »
    Im a bit disappointed with the first 2 episodes. It dosent feel like Stargate . It is too dark and came across as an exact replica of Battlestar Galactica(flashbacks included).

Hopefully I will come to see it in its own right and it will grow on me. On its own it is a very interesting show but as a Stargate franchise, meh!
    Directed differently, Children of the Gods could have easily gone the same way. With the implied rape and the killing of the rest, etc. - SG-1 tried to take itself seriously at first too. The 90s were a different time for TV though. BSG pushed the envelope in terms of how dark you were allowed to get, tbph. CotG would have been as dark had it been only premiered last week. Just like Star Trek did away with Flash Gordon (later taking the piss out of it regularly in Voyager) and started to take itself a bit more seriously - its another gentle shift in the sci-fi genre.

I say give it a chance to fill in the much needed shift in surroundings and see where it progresses from there. I get a feeling while it will still be darker than most stargate offerings we will also have some comedy episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I like how they are taking their time, and 80 minutes is not enough time to introduce all characters or see more of the destiny

If this was atlantis they would have crammed a **** load into it and it would have felt boring, im still pissed of at how they blew the finale for atlantis

SGU leaves you with more questions that answers, and thats what will get returning viewers

JohnK wrote: »
    I could have sworn that in Citizan Joe they only shared memories not actually took over each others bodies though? How else would Jack have written his mission reports and Joe written his stories? I cant remember the episode from SGA though - anyone know which one it was?

There where stones in SGU?

for shame user... ? really - i have no memory of that i thought they where just in that citizan joe episode- wait where they in the lab owened by that guy who was the rogue scientist on atlantis

User45701 wrote: »
    There where stones in SGU?

for shame user... ? really - i have no memory of that i thought they where just in that citizan joe episode- wait where they in the lab owened by that guy who was the rogue scientist on atlantis
    They were never brought to Atlantis - which in retrospect was silly on the part of whoever was in charge.

The original stone pair was in Citizen Joe. Then a second setup was found in Avalon. Im not really sure how Joe wound up with that one, but i havent seen the episode in a long time.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    They were never brought to Atlantis - which in retrospect was silly on the part of whoever was in charge.

The original stone pair was in Citizen Joe. Then a second setup was found in Avalon. Im not really sure how Joe wound up with that one, but i havent seen the episode in a long time.
    Car boot sale...

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

I loved it!!!! When can we get the next episode!

engrish? wrote: »
    I loved it!!!! When can we get the next episode!

It airs in the States on the 9th of Oct according to myepisodes

there go my friday nights :(

Review on io9.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The darker approach definately works and I liked some of the characterisation but the story was the same old, same old. I don't really see the point of a new show if can't come up anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If u re watch the opening scene again where the camera pans over Destiny you will notice there are 2 shuttles attached to its hull so expect to c more of them.

I thought i was a good start, i like the darkness with a splash of comedy. I'm looking forward to seeing who the protagonist will be.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Review on io9.

Good review, I especially liked the first comment after the article. Something I never thought of.

"...the door puzzle could have been EASILY solved by taping a pen to one of the remote flying orbs. All they had to do was remotely press a button. Hardly a difficult task. Retarded that nobody (mostly the script writers) could come up with that one"

Good review, I especially liked the first comment after the article. Something I never thought of.
    It's something i've seen a few people suggesting since the show aired. Didn't think of it myself while watching the episode but you would think they could have rigged something if they wanted to... The Senator was a gonner anyway so it makes little difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Sherifu wrote: »
    It's something i've seen a few people suggesting since the show aired. Didn't think of it myself while watching the episode but you would think they could have rigged something if they wanted to... The Senator was a gonner anyway so it makes little difference.

Yeah but its going to be really embarassing when they realise that yer man didn't need to die. The daughter will probably freak all over again.

Advertisement