Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x01/02 "Air" - **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rascal77

Doesn't acient tech need the gene to work,those cams don't have it.Love the show,pity they didn't air all the pilot together.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Peace wrote: »
    Yeah but its going to be really embarassing when they realise that yer man didn't need to die. The daughter will probably freak all over again.
    :D
    Rascal77 wrote: »
    Doesn't acient tech need the gene to work,those cams don't have it.Love the show,pity they didn't air all the pilot together.

Certain ancient tech does or more precisely when it suits the story. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I was under the impression that the Ship was old even in Ancient terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Just finished watching the HD version on Sky1 HD there. Got to say me likey the HD SFX. But was it just me or was there parts cut out form what aired in the US? The Sex part and then a gap where ep 1 and 2 ended? Why did they do it in two 1 hour parts too. Think there was a couple more but not sure.

Still liked it though, waiting for ep3 now on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

sutty wrote: »
    Just finished watching the HD version on Sky1 HD there. Got to say me likey the HD SFX. But was it just me or was there parts cut out form what aired in the US? The Sex part and then a gap where ep 1 and 2 ended? Why did they do it in two 1 hour parts too. Think there was a couple more but not sure.

Still liked it though, waiting for ep3 now on Friday.

The sex part would of been cut from the uk version because it was aired before 9 o'clock water shed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

The sex part would of been cut from the uk version because it was aired before 9 o'clock water shed.

Yeah was thinking the same, but also think there where other parts cut too. Just cant put my finger on it.

I find it silly to have cut the sex part seeing as there is a reference in the episode to his relationship with the person later. So people who watch it on sky wouldn't have known about that..

OK some other questions and remarks. Not been reading any spoilers on this as I want to be surprised be each ep. So from the first one I have some things I am wondering about and thinking might be interesting to add into the show...

Ok so the Alliance showed up but the SGC dont know how they knew about the base.. could there be a traitor in the mist of the Destiny crew?

We also see one person hording supplies, so that should be an interesting side story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It showed less than you'd see in a typical episode of Coronation Street though.

It wasn't what I had feared anyway. Not a hint of Voyager, no Kaizon, pretty good. Not trying to be BSG either, which I thought they might. No terribly irritating characters yet either, which is a good start.

I like the idea that Rush has his own agenda, and knows more about what will happen than he's letting on. What happened when he used the communications stones to talk to SGC? Did he even tell them anything, I wonder? Why was this not shown at all?

A traitor in their midst would be good. Did someone give away their position to the Alliance?

Looking forward to the next episode now. Will be interesting to see what's on the various planets they're likely to encounter.

Overall, it was good. Very promising, and a welcome addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rascal77

I just hope every episode doesn't end in a race against time to get back to the gate before the ship leaves.That will get boring kinda quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im just disapointed because all along Id thought of the Destiny as a truly massive ship that they'd have to puzzle out how to get control of the weapons and stuff week by week and explore new sections etc, like Atlantis but better, the ship in the pilot doesnt look that big at all, especially in the outside views of the damaged shuttle. I really hope this new gate in range every week thing doesnt just give them an excuse to roll out the same old cliches again, I bet they do end up trading for food and then witnessing some wrong they must right in some medieval village before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

JohnK wrote: »
    I could have sworn that in Citizan Joe they only shared memories not actually took over each others bodies though? How else would Jack have written his mission reports and Joe written his stories? I cant remember the episode from SGA though - anyone know which one it was?

Its SGA 5x18 "Identity".

In Citizen Joe (SG1 8x15) theres only the stones. The device that accompanies the stones isnt mentioned, its possibly on the planet where the quantum mirror was found, or possibly destroyed. Thats why Jack and Joe just have visions of each others memories.

The second time the device is mentioned is SG1 9x2 Avalon, Part 2.
    In this episode its established that by using a fountain like device with the stones you can control the other persons body. I'm not sure why it only works in one direction, possibly because the device is broken.

But in SGA 5x18 "Identity", Dr Keller swaps body with a thief, and the thief with Keller. So the device is capable of a fully body swap type effect.

The SGC built an emulator for the stones to communicate without the fountain shaped device used in Avalon, thats what we see in the SGU. It was was in a prototype phase in SG1 9x19 "Crusade Part 1". At this stage the stones only work between Vala and Daniel because the data used to build the emulator was based on when they used it in Avalon.

I've always had difficulty matching the SGA and SG1 timelines.
    SGA 1x1 is after SG1 8x5 because O'Neill has been revived and promoted, and before 8x12 because Daniel is on his way to Atlantis in that one.

Edit: SG1 season 10 takes place concurrent or slightly after SGA 3 but before 4. There is the logic (supported by the producers) that SG1 8 : SGA 1, 9:2, 10:3/ But also the Ori story arc is completed before SGA4 because Carter becomes the commander of Atlantis. SO Ark of Truth is before SGA 4, Continuum is concurrent to start of SGA 5, Baal's extraction ceremony is directly refereed to in the episode Sam leaves and Woolsey takes over.

SGU 1x1 is definitly after SGA 5x20 (the finale), because the ship carter commands in SGU 1x1, the General Hammond is still under construction in the last episode of SGA.

I suppose the easiest answer is that the emulator seen in SGU was designed with Atlantis in mind, but that they only got the kinks out after the experience in SGA 5x18, and thus by the time they got in working Atlantis was floating softly in San Fran bay.

Another perfectly natural explanation is that the device requires Ancient stones, which there arent many in our possession - only 2 are ever shown in SG1. So theres only enough stones for one device. So lets assume they get the decive working by the start of SG1 10, SGA 3. During SGA Season 3, they build the gate bridge, steal ZPMs from the Asurans, and get a ZPM from Earth's past (Mobius). If I had only one long range communicator, I wouldnt put it on Atlantis. Id put it on one of the Deadalus class ships*.

Actually, I wouldnt be surprised if the kinks arent out yet, otherwise there might be too many easy fixs.
    One thing to note at any rate, is that it is made clear in Citizen Joe and other episode that you need the ATA gene to use the device.

* Ive been thinking since SGA3 that there would be another SG spin off, and that it would be set aboard a space ship. I was thinking more TNG than VOY, after all there are 6 named x304 ships, the Prometheus being x303 and was destroyed.
    I was sure this was coming when there were two recurring ship captains popping up in both series. But Im glad its not set in the Milky Way, one thing that started to irk me is how damned advanced modern day Earth must be [sic].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I just hope every episode doesn't end in a race against time to get back to the gate before the ship leaves.That will get boring kinda quick.

I dont know, an idea like that could last four or five seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

Thats a fair point, but we don't know if the Senator had the ancient gene or had the gene therapy. He invested all the money into the project but only arrived there the day before. Possible i suppose.

As Sherifu said the ATA gene only seems to be required when it suits the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Volvagia wrote: »
    Thats a fair point, but we don't know if the Senator had the ancient gene or had the gene therapy. He invested all the money into the project but only arrived there the day before. Possible i suppose.

Its possible (and probable as a means to prevent the wraith from using their tech) that the gene activiated tech was a later development. This ship doesnt have a hyperdrive so it would seem to be much older than atlantis.

The ancient's tech/evolotion timeline is a mess tho. eg the woman they found in the ice on earth who was supposed to left behind with the great plague had super healing powers. However the ancients that lived in atlantis didnt exhibit any super human attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,473 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Its SGA 5x18 "Identity".

In Citizen Joe (SG1 8x15) theres only the stones. The device that accompanies the stones isnt mentioned, its possibly on the planet where the quantum mirror was found, or possibly destroyed. Thats why Jack and Joe just have visions of each others memories.

The second time the device is mentioned is SG1 9x2 Avalon, Part 2.
    In this episode its established that by using a fountain like device with the stones you can control the other persons body. I'm not sure why it only works in one direction, possibly because the device is broken.

But in SGA 5x18 "Identity", Dr Keller swaps body with a thief, and the thief with Keller. So the device is capable of a fully body swap type effect.

The SGC built an emulator for the stones to communicate without the fountain shaped device used in Avalon, thats what we see in the SGU. It was was in a prototype phase in SG1 9x19 "Crusade Part 1". At this stage the stones only work between Vala and Daniel because the data used to build the emulator was based on when they used it in Avalon.

I've always had difficulty matching the SGA and SG1 timelines.
    SGA 1x1 is after SG1 8x5 because O'Neill has been revived and promoted, and before 8x12 because Daniel is on his way to Atlantis in that one.

Edit: SG1 season 10 takes place concurrent or slightly after SGA 3 but before 4. There is the logic (supported by the producers) that SG1 8 : SGA 1, 9:2, 10:3/ But also the Ori story arc is completed before SGA4 because Carter becomes the commander of Atlantis. SO Ark of Truth is before SGA 4, Continuum is concurrent to start of SGA 5, Baal's extraction ceremony is directly refereed to in the episode Sam leaves and Woolsey takes over.

SGU 1x1 is definitly after SGA 5x20 (the finale), because the ship carter commands in SGU 1x1, the General Hammond is still under construction in the last episode of SGA.

I suppose the easiest answer is that the emulator seen in SGU was designed with Atlantis in mind, but that they only got the kinks out after the experience in SGA 5x18, and thus by the time they got in working Atlantis was floating softly in San Fran bay.

Another perfectly natural explanation is that the device requires Ancient stones, which there arent many in our possession - only 2 are ever shown in SG1. So theres only enough stones for one device. So lets assume they get the decive working by the start of SG1 10, SGA 3. During SGA Season 3, they build the gate bridge, steal ZPMs from the Asurans, and get a ZPM from Earth's past (Mobius). If I had only one long range communicator, I wouldnt put it on Atlantis. Id put it on one of the Deadalus class ships*.

Actually, I wouldnt be surprised if the kinks arent out yet, otherwise there might be too many easy fixs.
    One thing to note at any rate, is that it is made clear in Citizen Joe and other episode that you need the ATA gene to use the device.

* Ive been thinking since SGA3 that there would be another SG spin off, and that it would be set aboard a space ship. I was thinking more TNG than VOY, after all there are 6 named x304 ships, the Prometheus being x303 and was destroyed.
    I was sure this was coming when there were two recurring ship captains popping up in both series. But Im glad its not set in the Milky Way, one thing that started to irk me is how damned advanced modern day Earth must be [sic].
    Whew. I was getting worried I was the geeky one here. Thanks man, you've helped me get some perspective :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

cotwold wrote: »
    Its possible (and probable as a means to prevent the wraith from using their tech) that the gene activiated tech was a later development. This ship doesnt have a hyperdrive so it would seem to be much older than atlantis.

The ancient's tech/evolotion timeline is a mess tho. eg the woman they found in the ice on earth who was supposed to left behind with the great plague had super healing powers. However the ancients that lived in atlantis didnt exhibit any super human attributes.

i thought she only had healing powers because she was close so accesntion like when jack had healing in the lost city part II can danial had telekenisis in season 10's quest part II

User45701 wrote: »
    i thought she only had healing powers because she was close so accesntion like when jack had healing in the lost city part II can danial had telekenisis in season 10's quest part II

Ok, yeah thats a possiblity but i believed that all the ancients reached that state slowly through evolution and that ascension was the final step.

What you're saying though would probably be the creators line alright now that i think about it. Its a little silly though isn't it? You evolve in the space of a couple of days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

cotwold wrote: »
    Ok, yeah thats a possiblity but i believed that all the ancients reached that state slowly through evolution and that ascension was the final step.

What you're saying though would probably be the creators line alright now that i think about it. Its a little silly though isn't it? You evolve in the space of a couple of days?
    mckay evolved in a couple of days in the tao of rodney, which also shows that the ancients on atlantis knew of ascencion, seeing as they tried to build an ascencion machine (untimately failing of course), but some ancients probably werent as far down the path of ascencion as other ancients, it more than likely happened over a few hundred if not thousands of years, even sheppard came across ancients still trying to ascend,

im deffinately sure were gonna get some ancient action in universe, there ascended beings so they can travel anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Volvagia wrote: »

I had a quick look back at the episodes mentioned by Stabshauptmann and in both Avalon (SG1 09x02) and Identity (SGA 05x18) its said that for most ancient tech it only needs someone with the gene to initialise the tech at which point anyone can use it. It would make sense that if they were sending people off to some unknown place all ancient tech they would take with them (ie, the stones) would have been pre-initialised by someone with the gene thereby allowing them to be used by anyone on the expedition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

JohnK wrote: »
    I had a quick look back at the episodes mentioned by Stabshauptmann and in both Avalon (SG1 09x02) and Identity (SGA 05x18) its said that for most ancient tech it only needs someone with the gene to initialise the tech at which point anyone can use it. It would make sense that if they were sending people off to some unknown place all ancient tech they would take with them (ie, the stones) would have been pre-initialised by someone with the gene thereby allowing them to be used by anyone on the expedition.

Good point. I didn't realise that anyone could use ancient tech once it had been activated. I'll have to brush up on my atlantis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Hang on a sec,

The Destiny is travelling at faster-than-light speed but not trough hyperspace. Doesn't this mean time will pass alot faster outside of the Destiny? Like on Earth years could go by while days/months pass on Destiny?

• Advertisement

Conor108 wrote: »
    Hang on a sec,

The Destiny is travelling at faster-than-light speed but not trough hyperspace. Doesn't this mean time will pass alot faster outside of the Destiny? Like on Earth years could go by while days/months pass on Destiny?

that's what i said

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Who left the air on in a ship with no people? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,473 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

greyed wrote: »
    Who left the air on in a ship with no people? :pac:
    The Ancients provided themselves with facilities to board Destiny in the future. Either to see what was at the edge of the Universe, or to make necessary repairs somewhere down the line. It was probably scheduled for routine maintenance and checkups, at periods likely of several thousand years or more: they built things to last a really long time without human intervention. The ancients sooner learned how to become pure energy.

I presume they launched Destiny; Pegasus was Seeded, Atlantis was launched from Antartica; Wraith Stuff Wraith Stuff Ascension modern man oh here we are....

Its probable they visited Destiny and its daughter ships after the Pegasus Seeding as part of some shakedown before sending it off to the next galaxy in the plotted course. We may find out.

don ramo wrote: »
    mckay evolved in a couple of days in the tao of rodney, which also shows that the ancients on atlantis knew of ascencion, seeing as they tried to build an ascencion machine (untimately failing of course), but some ancients probably werent as far down the path of ascencion as other ancients, it more than likely happened over a few hundred if not thousands of years, even sheppard came across ancients still trying to ascend,

im deffinately sure were gonna get some ancient action in universe, there ascended beings so they can travel anywhere

Yeah rodney did but as you said it was with the aid of the machine, are we to accept that the ice woman managed to reach evolve physically unasisted in the space of a few days?

My understanding of the ancients timeline is as follows.

Huge plague sweeping our galaxy starts killing the ancients,
    Those that have naturally evolved enough ascend
    Those that cant build atlantis and relocate to pegasus
    In atlantis they try/fail to build an artificial acsender
    When the wraith problem begins they start acsending again and those that cant, after the siege sink atlantis and return to earth (where thousands of years ago after the plague died out the device on Dakara re-seeded our galaxy)

I just dont see why the pegasus ancients shouldn't have had the super powers ice woman/mac cay/o niel/ jackson had. Unless they were considerably less evolved than their peers.

your timeline sounds right to me exceopt if they relocated to pegasus ... in sga 101 risisng did it not start off 10,000 years ago with atlantis leaving? so the plague was more than 10,000 years ago~?

Yeah thats another hole in the story alright. One thing the could say is that the ancients had spent several thousand years on atlantis on earth but it doesnt make it very convincing. Its a shame they didnt make their story a little tighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rugger7

Does anyone else think that we won't see Lou Diamond Phillips again and that the producers used him as a 'draw' like they did with Robert Patrick in SGA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Rugger7 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that we won't see Lou Diamond Phillips again and that the producers used him as a 'draw' like they did with Robert Patrick in SGA?
    Possible future spoiler here so just in case...
    While it may not actually mean anything, IMDB has him listed for 7 episodes. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001617/filmoseries#tt1286039

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I dunno - would have thought Robert Carlyle was an equally, if not bigger, draw than Lou. I'd be very sure we haven't seen the last of Lou given we know they're able to get back to Earth in some form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I saw it here in the States and at the end there was a sneak peak at next episode. Lou was in it so my guess is he got beamed up to the ship just in time.

Advertisement