Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engine Swap, Please advice of regulations

• 03-10-2009 5:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering what are the regulations on switching an engine? I have a 98 VW GOLF (1.6) and want to drop in a 1.8T GTI engine. I have somebody who can do this but i am wondering what does the law state about this and what do you recommend?. How do i let the insurance/tax companies know about this swap or do i even let them know (im guessing if i don't it voids my policy?). Please let me know thanks.

Regards,
    Justin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You will need to let them know. The insurance company will probably want an engineer's report or something to say that it is roadworthy. I'm not sure how it works with the tax but I suspect they'll want their pound of flesh also. Still, not a lot of difference between 1.6 and 1.8 on the old system, since it doesn't take turbos into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Sinister747

Thanks for the quick response, do you have any idea if i will have to redo my NCT or will the insurance regulator just sort it out?. Do you or anybody else know if a 1.6 golf chasis can handle a 1.8 20V TURBO engine, i was told by a mechanic that the golfs are identifical and are made to deal with each engines strains... only exclusive of the 1.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 b3rni3

afaik but i could be wrong

for tax purposes you need to get a "change in particulars" form, i think you can get one from any gaurda station. fill it up with all relevant details. get the work done to the car and get a simi garage to inspect the car and stamp the above form. send this off to the tax office and they might ask for your log book so they can send you out an ammended one.

im pretty sure thats how its done anyways but open to correction.

as for insurance you will need to tell them of any modifications done to the car this includes engine swaps. otherwise it will void your policy. also if im not mistaken if you dont tell the insurance company they can take you to court for providing false details or something also open to correction on that.

not sure how you go about it with the insurance company, id say its company dependant, some may ask you for an engineers report some may not. i know when i declared my modifications the company im with only asked did i do the work or a qualified mechanic.

best bet is to ring them up and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Thanks for the quick response, do you have any idea if i will have to redo my NCT or will the insurance regulator just sort it out?. Do you or anybody else know if a 1.6 golf chasis can handle a 1.8 20V TURBO engine, i was told by a mechanic that the golfs are identifical and are made to deal with each engines strains... only exclusive of the 1.4

Are you doing the work yourself? Pulling an engine out and sticking a more powerful one in is not really simple. How do you know the 1.8 GTI engine hasn't been thrashed? I suspect you'll need a new ECU too. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into, estimate the costs and you'll probably end up discovering that buying a '98 Golf GTI will be cheaper and much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Why build something you can buy?

A GTI comes with better brakes, suspension and interior etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 keith_donaghy

would it not be handier just buying a gti golf, by the time you pay a higher premium on your own golf with transplant and the actual cost of fitting and wiring the new engine it would probally work out cheaper!

You know what some great comments made here, i will just go with a 1.8T GTI because its just alot of effort to make my car what will ultimatly never be a GTI.

Thanks for everybodies feedback.

You know what some great comments made here, i will just go with a 1.8T GTI because its just alot of effort to make my car what will ultimatly never be a GTI.

Thanks for everybodies feedback.

I wasn't being negative there but it's just a pointless exercise, one of the motors mods on here is going to do the same thing and I keep telling him he's mad

Onkle wrote: »
    I wasn't being negative there but it's just a pointless exercise, one of the motors mods on here is going to do the same thing and I keep telling him he's mad

No your right, i just needed someone to reassure that thought in my head so thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Just swap it, i've had no problems. It was however the same power output as the previous engine. Same Model

• Advertisement

Theanswers wrote: »
    Just swap it, i've had no problems. It was however the same power output as the previous engine. Same Model

You not have problems when you go for NCT?, considering they check the dashboard mileage against your tax mileage (last checked NCT miles).

I just found out i can't get insurance on a GTI if i modify it, so i may stick with the 1.6 and modify it.

That's a different ball game altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I just found out i can't get insurance on a GTI if i modify it, so i may stick with the 1.6 and modify it.
    Modify a 1.6 Golf, what plans have you got for it?

I cant imagine you'd get any sizable power gain out of doing so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

You not have problems when you go for NCT?, considering they check the dashboard mileage against your tax mileage (last checked NCT miles).

The Mileage on the dash does not change unless you change your dash display. I did not, therefore it still reads the milleage of the original engine. However this is not a problem as it's suppose to read the milleage of the vechicle not the engine i believe.

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I cant imagine you'd get any sizable power gain out of doing so?

A comment i massively agree with hence i wanted to get a GTI, i am just gonna modify the looks mainly to look like a R32. So just Milltek Double Exhausts and most likely a Induction Kit. No sizeable performance boost but good aestethics and it will give it a nice sound. Is there any point of a Remap on a 1.6SR?

The Mileage on the dash does not change unless you change your dash display. I did not, therefore it still reads the milleage of the original engine. However this is not a problem as it's suppose to read the milleage of the vechicle not the engine i believe.

Hmm yeah true, but in my case when they open the engine bay instead of seeing a 1.6SR engine they would see 1.8 20V TURBO which certainly isn't a 1.6 :D, don't think i could work it. Apart from the main problem of if i have an accident the insurance company would tell me to stick it because of modifications i didn't tell them about.

A comment i massively agree with hence i wanted to get a GTI, i am just gonna modify the looks mainly to look like a R32. So just Milltek Double Exhausts and most likely a Induction Kit. No sizeable performance boost but good aestethics and it will give it a nice sound. Is there any point of a Remap on a 1.6SR?
    No point in a map at all. An induction kit won't see you get many gains either if any.

My advice would be to buy a GTI, leave it unmodified for a year, at renewal time you'll be able to make mods

Advertisement