Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petition to remove Legard*

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

*NB: Internet petitions are worthless but it's something.
    Useless is doing them a favour. You'll have more success shaking your fist at the sky.

Do people really find him that bad or has the memory of James Allen been erased from your collective minds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

James Allen was over-excitable biased and charmless. But at least he didn't drone on like a commentator at Rememberance Day TV coverage, or spend every race waiting for an opportunity to talk over Martin Brundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

I didn't like James Allen but much prefer him over Legard.
    Legard is so annoying.
    I wanna hear more Brundle less Legard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Legard is poo, simple as that really..:)
    JA was annoying for sure, but he was 'coached' to be that way by the bosses and play the over enthused dummy, even so I rather him than Legard ANY day.

does no one watch it on setanta then? I only watch bbc on commercials from setanta :D much better informed analysis and coverage/commentary.

• Advertisement

No, setanta is just as dreary as listening to Legard.
    5 Live for the win, brilliant brilliant commentary team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

me@ucd wrote: »
    does no one watch it on setanta then? I only watch bbc on commercials from setanta :D much better informed analysis and coverage/commentary.

me too...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

5 Live for the win, brilliant brilliant commentary team

+1

Crofty and Davidson have it down to a tee. Their energy in commentary just adds that little extra buzz to any race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Croft and Davidson are fantastic. Davidson's knowledge is ridiculous. He seems to know the answer to every single question put forward to him about the cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I thought Legards remark about the run-off areas in Bahrain being so wide that you end up in Kuwait was class!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I was reading F1 Racing this month and they did an article on the BBC team and it said there were internet rumblings about wanting changes to the commentary team. I'm guessing that means that not just the boards.ie members are unhappy with Legard :)

The article also said there were complaints about how they handled Massa's accident in Hungary. That surprised me. I've no idea what that's about.

Legard is ok, he's no Murray Walker, but then who ever could be. I do dislike that he seems to talk over Brundle a lot and interrupt him. I also sometimes get the feeling that Brundle is biting his tongue and getting massively annoyed when Legard does that.

Only two races left now anyway. It will be interesting to see if they announce any changes to the line-up during the winter.

I hope they keep Lee McKenzie though. Hot hot stuff. The circuit itself wasn't the only thing with dangerous curves at Suzuka ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Hearing Davidson almost crack up as any of the new drivers fly off the track is quite entertaining too,seems to be itching to be back in the cars!
    If the rumours about Davidson back driving next year with possibly lotus is true (Think it was mentioned twice it this mornings coverage and F1 forum alone) then wouldent Crofty and Brundle make one hell of a lineup for BBC1 next season.
    I hope they keep Lee McKenzie though. Hot hot stuff

The voice of Holly Samos on the 5Live red button feed is quite something too;)

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Hearing davidson almost crack up as aNY the new drivers fly off the track is quite entertaining too,seems to be itching to be back in the cars!
    If the rumours about Davidson back driving next year with possibly lotus is true (Think it was mentioned twice it this mornings coverage and F1 forum alone) then wouldent Crofty and Brundle make one hell of a lineup for BBC1 next season.

I think Ant will get a drive next year, which I am almost sad about, he's that good in the commentary box, he and Croft are really clued in, full of energy, and they have fun too. 5 Live picked up on the Rosberg incident Waaaay before the main feed did. Watching the highlights, Legard interrupted Brundle twice during the first half of the first lap, for no good reason, with nothing to say. Farcical farcical stuff and it makes me so angry that a great commentator like Brundle is being actively blocked from doing his job by the muppet beside him.

The voice of Holly Samos on the 5Live red button feed is quite something too;)

Both ladies are quite pleasant, but surely we're not that shallow.
    Yes we are.

I do think the beeb wastes bodies in F1 coverage though, Lee and Holly's jobs could easily be combined to cover the same roles for radio and TV, and the CBBC commentary is totally unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Legard is the race commentator and Brundle supplies the 'expert witness' opinion.. two very difference functions..

Legard follows instructions, the broadcast director will have control over who talks and who he cuts off... The balance of who talks when is contolled by the man selecting the cameras.. while it's another broadcasters cameras, i.e. for the Germany GP a German TV company will supply the live feed and BBC then tailor according to needs and overlay commentary and Expert witness

It's not a case of two guys just sitting in a box chatting away.. The studio set up and cue cards will be used in what seems an impromptu situation.

Wrong on all counts.

Read Jake humphrey's BBC blog about sound and you'll get a breakdown of exactly how the BBC run the show from the production office. The Producer does not interfere in individual sentances uttered by the presenters, only to make sure that the whole show flows, and to give the presenters or commentators the heads up.

Bernie took over the filming of the gp's and local stations have nothing to do with it any more. Live race feeds, qualifying and practice sessions are provided by a dedicated FOM team. The BBC only has its own cameras running when following its presenters around the paddock or filming inserts.

Brundle has been doing this for years and is not at all a "dumb expert" to be called upon when an insight is needed. Legard will have race notes to follow, but this is all background and historical info, names of team personnel, interesting stories that might be worked in if the opportunity arises (again see Jake's blog). His job is to commentate on the action, provide "casual viewer" background, and keep things moving. He is woeful at all parts of the job. He has no business asking Brundle a question, then interrupting the answer. He also has no business butting in and talking over Brundle when something happens, particularly when Brundle is already commentating on that thing, and telling us something interesting, only for Legard to stutter inanely and repeat the same comment or phrase over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....

Listen to 5 live and you'll see the difference. When they interrupt each other, it's always for a good reason, they always give the other person the chance to finish what they were saying, they have good voices, and they're competent. And Legard has been doing this professionally for years, whereas Anthony Davidson is just filling in while he's not driving this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I was reading F1 Racing this month and they did an article on the BBC team and it said there were internet rumblings about wanting changes to the commentary team. I'm guessing that means that not just the boards.ie members are unhappy with Legard :)

The article also said there were complaints about how they handled Massa's accident in Hungary. That surprised me. I've no idea what that's about.

Yeah i was wondering about this alright??? Anyone have any thoughts on what they were to referring to?

I hope they keep Lee McKenzie though. Hot hot stuff. The circuit itself wasn't the only thing with dangerous curves at Suzuka ;)
    +1!!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Yeah i was wondering about this alright??? Anyone have any thoughts on what they were to referring to?

I believe it was referring to Eddie Jordan's comments just after the accident - where he basically said 'one of his reliably informed sources' just told him that Massa just took a small blow to the chin, and that he was fine, nothing to worry about - or words to that extent. I remember listining to him say that and thinking that it was a ridiculously idiotic comment to make about such a situation at such an early stage.

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    I believe it was referring to Eddie Jordan's comments just after the accident - where he basically said 'one of his reliably informed sources' just told him that Massa just took a small blow to the chin, and that he was fine, nothing to worry about - or words to that extent. I remember listining to him say that and thinking that it was a ridiculously idiotic comment to make about such a situation at such an early stage.

Is that all they were complaining about? Might have been silly of him to say that without knowing but its definitely not worthy of complaining to the BBC over. Big overreaction in my book.

I'm still half surprised no-one complained to ITV that James Allen said about Kubica "He's no Brad Pitt but he's a hell of driver". What's his looks got to do with anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Firenza

Robbo wrote: »
    Useless is doing them a favour. You'll have more success shaking your fist at the sky.

Do people really find him that bad or has the memory of James Allen been erased from your collective minds?

It's the difference between an overenthusiastic nob and a tedious dullard. Pick!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭clap-for-trap

james allen over legard anyday

• Advertisement

I think we can all agree that both Allen and Legard aren't up to the job, and that if Ant gets a drive next year we should have Crofty and Brundle in the commentary box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 zafira

You know what would be best, is if we had no commentary and you could just hear the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

How about Pedro Paulo Collins :D

zafira wrote: »
    You know what would be best, is if we had no commentary and you could just hear the cars.

Believe me you dont mean that. I know you think that that would be great but just think about it, next time a GP is on mute the sound and watch it like a futball match (as in every frame) loath them or hate them :D commentarors are there for a reason to get through the monotenay of watching an F1 'race' (processsion?) between pit stops and an actual overtaking manovre :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

FFS Clarkson, May & Hammond over Legard any day.. Actually seeing as the top gear lads did a drivetime radio show, F1 could happen.. :P

I'd hate it if Clarkson was doing it. He'd be making smart arse comments the whole time about how the drivers were namby pamby's and how he could do it better with his eyes closed, blah blah.

I don't know if I've heard David Croft or Ben Edwards commentary so I can't say if its better or worse than Legard. I think he's ok but I hate the way he interrupts Brundle and/or talks over the top of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Can't believe the BBC haven't hired Ben Edwards.

He's an excellent commentator and his excitement is infectious.

I can't stand James Allen (and please don't anyone tell me his F1 blog is second to none) and would switch to Setanta if he came back. But that's not going to happen coz the beeb know how crap he is.

I only suffer BBC because of Brundle and reckon himself and Edwards would make a good team. Failing that, Brundle and Croft

But Legard really needs to go. I hate his attempts to inject artifical exctitement into the many boring races.

"So what can Button do now?" etc etc.

He sounds like he should be commentating on royal ascot or some of that ****e.

Tweet from Jake Humphrey:
    Apart from Twittering how else can I get back to sleep...? That was an early alarm call!!!

Must.... resist... urge....

Advertisement