Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a crazy price to pay

Options
  • 03-10-2009 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

My girlfriend is currently unemployed but last week she applied to join an agency for some part time work, as part of the application to join the agency she had to do a medical with a Dr of her choosing, So she made an appointment and had her medical on Wednesday, At the medical the Dr checked her bp, weight, Height, listened to her chest, felt her abdomen and checked her urine,Im a nurse myself and I could have done these things myself except for listening to her chest, my girlfriend was in there for less then 20 minutes at reception she was charged 110 euro. She questioned it but was told it was the going rate. She phoned me and I couldn’t believe it. So I rang the Drs back and asked them how they could charge such a crazy price to an unemployed person for less then 20 minutes work, I was told that each medical was booked in for 2 sessions which is nuts because (1) she wasn’t told that she would have to pay for two sessions and (2) she wasn’t in there for two sessions. I asked to be put through to the dr in charge but they weren’t available.

Is this crazy, has anyone else had any experience of this, at the moment Im the bread winner in the house and we are struggling, every penny is counted, I just can’t believe they can charge so much for so less then 20 minute work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I know insurance companie's standard basic medical exam (that they request sometimes) are similar and the charge would be similar to that as well. Disgraceful price but yeah I think that is the going rate alright.

I suppose some medicals might take a lot longer than 20 mins - the person might have a long history or something might show up etc.

I don't think they factor in who they are charging etc - so I think the fact she is unemployed is a bit of a moot point.

Sorry!

I do feel for you, it is a shocking price alright (I am not defending it or anything!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Does the Agency really need her to do a medical.

The Agency should pay if they are asking for it but as we all know it is an employers market.

Could she point out her reluctance to the agency & tell them that she is willing to get it done if it is a requirement for whatever job that she is i the process of getting.

After all with no disrespect meant it is only a part-time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My opinion is that if the agency wanted her to do a medical, then they should pay for it.

I wouldn't dream of going near an employer that asked you to pay for anything work-related.

Your issue shouldn't be with the doctor, it should be directed towards the agency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why didn't the agency pay for this? That's just crazy if they didn't. Not an agency she should be going near, as they seem to be very amateur and/or unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

i had a similer situation about 7 years ago, but i didnt have to pay, the company that requested the medical had to pay, and it was the doctor that told me this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Nope that is pretty much the going rate where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Does she not have a medical card from being unemployed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I also did a medical for a company and did not pay and would not expect to pay either way so medical card should not even enter into it. If the company/agency insist in a medical they should pay.

If I had to put my hand in my pocket red flags would be up and I would be asking questions or just walk away.

Advertisement