Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Stammering Awareness Day 2009.

Options
  • 03-10-2009 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

The third "National Stammering Awareness Day" is being held in Wynns Hotel Abbey St Dublin on Saturday the 17th of October. It is being held again this year to coincide with International Stuttering Awareness Day which is on the 22nd of October.

The theme for the ISAD is "Stuttering More Then A Tangled Tonge"which I am sure anyone who is challenged by stammering will gladly verify.

This years NSAD will have five keynote speakers,
    Mr Sean McKerrnan from the HSE speaking on positive mental health.
    Mr John Wills from "Alone Ireland" speaking on affects of anxiety/stress.
    Mr Joe O Donnell Regional Director of the "Irish Mcguire Programme".
    Veronica Lynch member of the "Irish Stammering Association".
    Speech and Language Therapist presentation focused on Children and Parents.
    Each keynote speaker will speak for thirty minutes.

Ten presentations throughout the day by people who are/were challenged by stammering speaking on their own life experiances of stammering, each presentation lasting ten to fifteen minutes.

Childrens Drama and art presentation.

Speaking circles , get to know each other and much more.

The NASD is a day to interact with others from the stammering community in Ireland, it is your day, nothing like the NSAD has ever been organised lin Ireland to bring all organisations who are associated with care, education, therapy, awareness, and support for children, adolecents, adults, parents, and friends to one place to talk about and discuss the complicated communication disorder labelled "Stammering/Stuttering"

A lot of very positive things have happened regarding stammering awareness in Ireland since the first NSAD in 2007, a lot more positive things wil happen, it is time for people who are challenged by stammering to realise that we can not depend soley on the professional community, Goverment funding, or anybody else to move our lives forward, our children who are challenged by stammering deserve our knowledge and support.

By organising ourselves in a positive manner we can all make a difference, by talking and communicating we can peel away the isolation and conspirecy of silence that sometimes surrounds stammering or the person who is challenged by it.

The NSAD is Free, your cup of tea/coffee/ biscuits are Free, information, frienships that can and will be made all Free. The Luas stops four meters from the front door, Car parking 200 meters away, bus stops one hundred meters away, a warm welcome assured, what more can you ask for.

Looking forward to seeing you there, can anyone think of three good excuses not to attend if you or someone you care about is challenged by stammering??

Speak soon,
    Michael.

There will be

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Thanks for the post Michael. I've stickied the thread so all visitors to the forum will see it at the top instead of trying to find it or missing it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Michael O Shea

Thank you Steven,
    That is very much appreciated, make sure you introduce yourself to me at the NSAD and I will buy you a pint.

Speak soon,
    Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Michael..did you not know that Stephen is not allowed to drink these days without his new wife's prior permission!!! Make sure you bring along that chit signed by the missus Stephen!!! :D
    On a serious note...I would just like to thank Michael for providing the platform for all stammerers to have their say on the Awareness Day!!!
    He is the only one in Ireland who is funding a stammering event which is regularly occurring each year without fail...and which is most importantly free to us all!!!
    It may sound sad, but the Stammering Awareness Day in Dublin is now one of the highlights of my calendar year!!! :)

Nothing like a bit of humour and slagging lads keep it up, I meant a pint of milk Steven, I hope your lovely wife understands!!! it will build up your strength!!!

Your comments are very much appreciated and I thank you for them. Michael O Shea is only a spoke in a very large wheel which is getting bigger and stronger year by year, there is a lot of people out there who support the NSAD, the people who bought my book are the ones who help fund not only the NSAD, they help pay for speech therapy for children which some parents and single parents cant afford, payment towards workshops on stammering which we started this year, helping and supporting the stammering community to help themselves, supporting PWS to have a voice themselves about how they fell about their stammering.

The people who attend the NSAD are the backbone of the NSAD, they are spokes in the wheel, the more spokes the stronger the wheel.

Speak soon,
    Michael

Ah now Paul you'll need your permission slip too now that you're a trapped married man too. :D I'll be looking for it on the day! :)
    It's so good seeing events like these being run. We need more though! There's no question about that. I've offered my photography services to Jonathon, Michael, so I'll be taking a few snaps on the day, I'll be speaking to the speakers beforehand to get permission to put the photos on here.
    I'm really looking forward to the day. I've attached a PDF that gives a brief description of what will happen on the day, please feel free to print and distribute to friends and colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Photographs up here on boards.ie of the Awarenes Day are just what we need...one of a room full of people interested in stammering and also not ashamed of the topic of stammering!!!
    Stephen...if you're taking any shots that incorporate my good self in them...can you please ensure you catch me from my better left side please!!! :p

From your "better left side"?

How many left sides do you actually have? :eek:

:P

Hi All,
    The following is the time schedule, Keynote speakers, presenters, and guest speakers for the NSAD.

9.30.am. Welcome and introduction.
    9.35. am. Speaking circles / Icebreaker.
    10.00.am. Keynote speaker Mr Sean McKiernan. "HSE".
    10.30.am. Presentation by Ms Suzanne Smyth.
    10.45.am. Presentation by Mr Philip O Reilly.

11.00.am. Break Tea / Coffee.

11.20.am. Keynote speaker Mr John Wills "Alone Ireland"
    11.50.am. Presentation by Ms Antoinette Johnson.
    12.05.pm. Presentation by Mr Paul McFetridge.
    12.20.pm. Keynote speaker Mr Joe O Donnell " McGuire Programme"

12.50.pm. Break for Lunch. (art workshop for children @ 1.00pm)

2.00.pm. Childrens Drama Showcase.
    2.15.pm. Presentation by Ms Frances Doyle.
    2.30.pm. Presentation by Mr Bennett Quinn.
    2.45.pm. Keynote speakers, Ms Mary O Dwyer and
    Ms Aoife McGuire Senior SLTs.
    3.15.pm. Presentation by Mr Steven Greene.
    3.30.pm. Presentation by Ms Deirdre O Callaghan.
    3.45.pm. Keynote speaker Ms Veronica Lynch.
    4.15.pm. Presentation by Mr Michael Ryan.

4.30.pm Guest Speaker: Mr Enda Kenny T.D. Leader of
    the Fine Gael Party.

4.50.pm. Presentation by Mr Anthony Kennedy and Mr Chris Maguire.
    5.05.pm. Summary / Panel. Mr Jonathon Linklater, Mr Michael O Shea,
    Ms Veronica Lynch, Ms Mary O'Dwyer
    5.25.pm. Closeing address Michael / Jonathon.
    5.30.pm. Finish.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Speak soon,
    Michael.

WOW that looks like a really good line up!!
    I like Enda Kenny so I will be interested in hearing him. This event is getting better and better each year! Well done to all involved! :D

I've put Michael's agenda above in a Word Document for anyone who would like to print it off and distribute it (hope you don't mind Michael). :)

• Advertisement

That is great Steven, thank you, the more people that we get the message out there the better.

Speak soon,
    Michael.

Hi All,
    The Mooney show is really going wild tomorrow on RTE radio 1, they are interviewing a grey fox regarding stammering and the NSAD, why not tune in and hear what the grey fox has to say, will he make sense! will he stuutter! time 3pm to 4.30pm Tuesday the 13th unluckey for some.

Speak soon,
    Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

im wondering if anyone can help me, dont no if i can make it in time for all of tomorro, is it ok to come late do u think??

ive read the schedule for tomorrow but i have a very long journey to make to it and i was wondering if anyone could tell me who these people are as that might help me plan my day with respect to which talks etc i would like to go to. i have a great interest in listening to speech therapists discussing the matter and maybe some people with real life stammering experience etc but this schedule just lists a number of names, just wondering who these ppl are etc??

There's no problem coming late. You're free to come and go as you like. All of the short presentations are from people who have done different therapy courses and they're going to give their experience of the course and of their stammer. The other speakers will speak about speech therapy and related items. You don't know until the day exactly what they will talk about.

Advertisement