Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berth in New Marina

Options
  • 03-10-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

Does anybody know how to get a berth in the new marina when it opens.
    I have heard from a few sources that there is a lot of interest and that
    there was a list to put your name on. Does anybody know anything
    about this?

Egorski

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I put my name down for one, but from what i har they're not going to be selling them anymore and they're going to be leased via a marina company.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 egorski

HiMatt,

Can you please send on the contact details for the berth list? I'll ring them
    up and see what the status is.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I don't have them handy, but i believe it was DNG who were looking after it

http://www.greystonesharbour.ie/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

For those interested

Taken 21st sept.

ProgressPic.jpg

One day, one day...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Bart Wilson

What a truly ugly monstrosity this development is. :eek:

Pity the property bubble dident burst a year earlier and it would never have been started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Pity the property bubble dident burst a year earlier and it would never have been started.
    Yawn... change the record Bart. It's being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

You will never learn. :rolleyes:

Take a month off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

It looks like the development of the residential and commercial property has been put on hold.

http://www.greystonesguide.com/articles/article/6961207/133083.htm

Will this also delay the use of the Harbour as a Harbour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Luke Emia

As a project manager for some 20 years now a couple of things stand out about this 'project'.

Public Amenities are being delayed until an as yet undisclosed time. Any delay in a project cannot be rectified without, a change in scope, time or budget(resource).

The building work is being funded by the development and sale of commercial and residential property! Really Derek Mitchell?

Extra hours are being worked to move the development forward. Extra hours equals extra cost combined with the lower property prices suggests this project has zero chance of coming in on budget or near it.

Derek's Mitchells assertion that the project will be completed to the contracted date, does not imply to budget or scope.

I wonder if Project Plans for a site such as these are considered in the public domain?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

GingerDave wrote: »
    It looks like the development of the residential and commercial property has been put on hold.

Exactly my thinking, where is the marina in all this delay? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Interesting how its the useful public amenities that were there before that get delayed.....

Im just being cynical, aren't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

GingerDave wrote: »

If by as a Harbour you mean slipways it would suggest not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Osvaldoc

According to Derek Mitchell the future completion of the project is now in doubt. :eek:

At a recent Community Liaison meeting it was announced that the marine works for Greystones Harbour, including 2 Public slipways, would be completed by June 2010 which is about 4 months later than hoped.

However, the next phase, construction of public facilities including the public square and clubhouses for the Sea Scouts, Divers, Anglers, Sailors and Rowers will be delayed. It was hoped that these would be completed next year but market conditions will delay this to "later". The revised timetable will be announced in the Spring of next year. The project is being funded by constructing some commercial units and 341 homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Also in that note from Derek Mitchell

"Councillor Derek Mitchell said that the town has been trying to get the harbour sorted out for over 100 years and it is good news that the marine works are nearly finished. It is a tribute to the developers commitment and the Council’s organisation of the project that the sea walls are nearly finished in spite of the financial turbulence that has seen all banks having to be supported by the Government.

I still expect the entire project to be completed by the contracted date of October 2014."

Mate the key phrase is "market conditions will delay this to later".

In developers speak "later" is long into the future in a NAMA-esque time frame of around 10 years. The property market is still in freefall and there is no way in the wide eartly world that inflation adjusted market prices will return to bubble levels in our lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

Osvaldoc wrote: »
    Mate the key phrase is "market conditions will delay this to later".

In developers speak "later" is long into the future in a NAMA-esque time frame of around 10 years. The property market is still in freefall and there is no way in the wide eartly world that inflation adjusted market prices will return to bubble levels in our lifetime.

+1 !!

But we never learn. Greystones Goes Green........sponsered by a developor looking for planing permission. ffs.

Its like we have no ideas but property! Mad.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

To go back to the original post what is obvious is that people are beginning to realise that the project-as originally conceived- almost certainly will not happen and as a result it is very likely that there will be no marina and no berths therein.

Derek Mitchells naieve pronouncements on the development are infuriating to many because, as a public representative, it is important that he sees the reality of what has happened rather than clininging to the hope that "everything will be alright". However there is one grain of fact in what he says. We have indeed got a new harbour.(or rather we will have in about a years time) The problem is that we will probably inherit a very unsightly half finished building site to go with it. As a community we need to focus on ensuring that the project is salvaged and put pressure on our councillors to ensure that when the development is postponed or abandoned that it is reinstated into a condition that we can all enjoy. (In as far as that is possible)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

my reading of it is that the harbour and marina will be finished and nothing else. the marina is an element that will make money (unlike the clubhouses and public square) - can't see why they wouldn't finish that bit.

For a Marina to be economically viable it needs to be about 300 berths. Anything smaller requires some form of subsidy. This marina is only 230 berths (and some believe it is in fact smaller than that). The developers were questioned about this at the oral hearings and they confirmed that the marina would not be viable on its own and would require a subsidy which they indicated would come from the rental of the commercial units in the development and/or maintenance charges on the apartments. As this subsidy is unlikely I think it follows that the marina is equally unlikely.

• Advertisement

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    For a Marina to be economically viable it needs to be about 300 berths. Anything smaller requires some form of subsidy. This marina is only 230 berths (and some believe it is in fact smaller than that). The developers were questioned about this at the oral hearings and they confirmed that the marina would not be viable on its own and would require a subsidy which they indicated would come from the rental of the commercial units in the development and/or maintenance charges on the apartments. As this subsidy is unlikely I think it follows that the marina is equally unlikely.

This is indeed very bad news for the harbour residents and Greystones in general. The prospect of a long term building site on ones doorstep is a sobering thought.

The promised beach nourishment programme would appear to be also at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

egorski wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anybody know how to get a berth in the new marina when it opens.
    I have heard from a few sources that there is a lot of interest and that
    there was a list to put your name on. Does anybody know anything
    about this?

Egorski

Why has this happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Thats the thing about this forum, it gets to deep..:confused: people at each other over keyboards..:mad:
    All i want to know, is it going to be done and if so, when...???
    Same question for the pub, but sure thats another days walk...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Nice one pix!

Always ends up the same when the harbour/marina is mentioned. Some folks just can't help butdrag up the same arguement over and over.

What's that? Did someone mention Charlesland II?

:pac:

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Why has this happened

Surely the direction the thread takes is simply an indication of the interests of the posters. As Welsh Wizard points out "all I want to know is when will it be built" Presumably he too has no interest in debating the matter of how to get a berth. (possibly, like many of us, he cant afford one or perhaps he has no interest in sailing-or whatever) Likewise Pix's previous post a few days ago had only limited relevance to the subject of how to get a birth either.

That said I appreciate that you have had to shut similar threads down when people got abusive or the debate became pointless but so far there has been an exchange of useful information on this thread albeit that the OP is probably none the wiser on how to get a birth if the marina gets built. Also I note that we have a few new names -which makes a change.

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    For a Marina to be economically viable it needs to be about 300 berths. Anything smaller requires some form of subsidy. This marina is only 230 berths (and some believe it is in fact smaller than that).

I think this is a very broad sweeping statement, there are many, many marinas with this number of berths and smaller that thrive and become a significant contributor to the local economy. I would be interested to see your source for this economic viability figure? And what you deem a "subsidy" to be? The cost of building a harbour and marina needs to be financed by the sale of commercial and residential units, but the marina should subsidise itself by the lease of berths and any ancillary services.

I see a great deal of postulating in this thread, but very little fact and evidence.

Dyflin wrote: »
    I think this is a very broad sweeping statement, there are many, many marinas with this number of berths and smaller that thrive and become a significant contributor to the local economy. I would be interested to see your source for this economic viability figure? And what you deem a "subsidy" to be? The cost of building a harbour and marina needs to be financed by the sale of commercial and residential units, but the marina should subsidise itself by the lease of berths and any ancillary services.

I see a great deal of postulating in this thread, but very little fact and evidence.

The original source was a report prepared by the Marine Insitute in approx 1999/2000 on the viability of marinas in ireland. One of the experts who prepared the report appeared at the oral hearings on behalf of the developer. He confirmed the "facts" at the hearing.

The source of my information on the economic viability of this particluar marina was a senior council official (I wont name him here) who confirmed the need for a subsidy in public and on the record of the hearing.

However perhaps the best way of resolving this particular debate is to wait and see if the marina gets built. As I mentioned in an earlier post I belive that, as a community, we should be focusing on more serious issues around the completion of this development. If I am wrong and the marina gets built without any apartments or subsidy then we will all be happy!

Ladies and gentalmen.

This is/has turned into a train wreck of a thread.

Please bring it back to original question.

Thread will be locked!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Damo9090 wrote: »
    This is/has turned into a train wreck of a thread.

Damo9090,

I beg to differ. Whether the marina is to be completed has huge relevance to the OP!

I read this board avidly, and although the facts are sparse I do think the discussion here is very useful. It would be better to be more factual and less opinionated, and Fiachra2 could give us the reference to the MI report and - really - if a senior council official said something in public it is on the public record so there should not be any hesitation in repeating it with its attributed source.

Although I was against the development that was on principle - the principle being that this is the first time that public beach land in Ireland has been given over to a developer, and that it should not have been counternanced without the State becoming involved - as in the "real" politicians rather than our municipal ones. Now that it is happening, I have "moved on", and welcome its completion as I do think it will add significantly to Greystones.

Please don't have a heavy hand in your moderation of our discussions.

darter

• Advertisement

darter wrote: »

Please don't have a heavy hand in your moderation of our discussions.

Keep on topic and i wont have to. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement