Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2nd 2009 - Demoracy in Ireland R.I.P.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

alrightcuz wrote: »
    no matter what way the vote goes i do believe that because this was a vote that involves all of Europe we should have heared from all the other country's and what there opinion was?

i would have been very interested on why the people from Germany,France and Holland all taught this was a very bad idea ,after all aren't we all Europeans i want to no how my brothers across Europe feel.
    They've ratified the treaty without opposition, ergo they're happy.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    We voted twice on divorce...was that odd?

The ppl could have voted No again if they wanted to......but they didn't.

It's only "odd" when it doesn't suit them, clearly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

no matter what way the vote goes i do believe that because this was a vote that involves all of Europe we should have heared from all the other country's and what there opinion was?

i would have been very interested on why the people from Germany,France and Holland all taught this was a very bad idea ,after all aren't we all Europeans i want to no how my brothers across Europe feel.
    As has been gone through countless times here, countries in Europe have their own means of ratification. It's up to the Germans, French or Ruritanians to change their own mechanisms.

To suggest that another vote was undemocratic at this stage is becoming like a form of political autism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Rb wrote: »
    Speaking of blindness, surely you've seen this point addressed over, and over, and over here over the past few months?

I've seen over and over people talking themselves into a hole, but not addressing the underlying issue. The facts didn't change. But let's not repeat this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The people of Germany were so outraged that their government ratified Lisbon that in the recent German elections they absolutely destroyed them at the polls.....oh no wait...they actually re-elected them! funny huh??

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The people of Germany were so outraged that their government ratified Lisbon that in the recent German elections they abolsuely destroyed them at the polls.....oh no wait...they actually re-elected them! funny huh??

Who says that the people of Germany are in any way more clever than the Irish. I wouldn't say that and I know what I'm talking about.

realcam wrote: »
    I've seen over and over people talking themselves into a hole, but not addressing the underlying issue. The facts didn't change. But let's not repeat this please.
    Then you're obviously not seeing things clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

http://www.rte.ie/news/features/lisbontreaty/index.html

What a tosser. A huge insult to our country by comparing our hard-fought constitutional rights in such a manner.

:mad:

a yes a politician from a country that doesnt have a constitution and is rulled by a monarch telling us what to do

he can go and **** himself

we are not his puppets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

realcam wrote: »
    Who says that the people of Germany are in any way more clever than the Irish. I wouldn't say that and I know what I'm talking about.

the germans are just more efficient then the irish

BVB wrote: »
    the germans are just more efficient then the irish

thats not funny

• Advertisement

Rb wrote: »
    Then you're obviously not seeing things clearly.

I see things very clearly.
    It's like two kids in the schoolyard doing that game - I don't know what you call it in English - where you do stone, scissors, well, paper thingy. And the bully loses so he says 'lets do it again' til he gets what he wants.

An you can let yourself being bullsh1tted all day long by our politicians. Sometimes things are just that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 odoylerulez

there was democracy in ireland? When did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Dublin1600 wrote: »
    Ireland was forced to vote on the EXACT same treaty until a YES vote was returned, the treaty we voted on was the same treaty word for word. Demoracy in Ireland R.I.P.

It never existed to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

panda100 wrote: »
    Irish people are absolutely terrified of the future of this country,their livelihoods and that of their familys. This second referendum was won on a basis of horrific scaremongering on a very frightened population.

The first one was lost on the same basis.

apparently democracy didnt exist now in first place....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ken_Is_Here

Back to Comfortable surroundings
    europale.GIF

Did ireland get to vote - Yes - Thats demoracy
    Did the rest of Europe get to vote - no - Thats not demoracy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Congratulations....you officially don't understand representative democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hmmm...Ireland got vote until it gave the "right" answer. I see no democracy there.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Hmmm...Ireland got vote until it gave the "right" answer. I see no democracy there.

We did not have to vote yes. All theses people who voted yes were not forced to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

Ireland is the ONLY country in Europe which has to vote. Last time we voted NO because of concerns over Neutrality, abortion and taxation. Those issues have now been addressed by the EU to protect Irish interests and now we MUST vote again. Europe could have said ok Ireland said NO but instead they asked us why we voted NO and gave us an answer to those concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

cornbb wrote: »
    They had 18 months to inform themselves, and they obviously realised that actually this treaty isn't the end of the world. I imagine they are pretty pleased that they got a second chance.

I voted yes second time around but I'm not happy I had to vote again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭moondogspot

The EU were going to plow ahead with this Treaty whether we said Yes or No anyway.

They were never going to call a halt to this project over little old Ireland.

The EU were going to plow ahead with this Treaty whether we said Yes or No anyway.

your still here? :D

Look the EU cant plough anything since if they push any country the wrong way that country can leave

see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm confused by this thread, so they knew internal affairs were setting them up the entire time?

That comment indicates that you have little or no knowledge about the workings of the European Union.

That comment indicates that you have little or no knowledge about the workings of the European Union.

hes not even from around here according to his past threads

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jaysus, the elites must have taken over politics.ie. It looks different over there.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Same could be said about the Yes side, show me all theses new jobs and the miracle cure for the recession.
    That misses the point of the yes to jobs,yes to recovery posters.

It is a fact that the EU for the most part grew the irish economy-we couldnt have done it on our own.
    If we had to pay back the transfers we got,we would be zimbabwe.If we never got them in the first place,we'd have struggled to pay for anything let alone look have the education system and infrastructure that invited multinationals to employ so many of us.

So asking people to vote yes to be a continuing part of/or an improved part of this was a valid ask.

Hail to the yes vote and hail to democracy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 scaredoflisbon

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    a yes a politician from a country that doesnt have a constitution and is rulled by a monarch telling us what to do

he can go and **** himself

we are not his puppets!

No we are EU puppets now, is that better?

Well done ireland. Nice one. we managed to undo in one day what took 800 years to achieve. Our independence. De Valera must be spinning in his grave.

Advertisement