Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2nd 2009 - Demoracy in Ireland R.I.P.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

No we are EU puppets now, is that better?

Well done ireland. Nice one. we managed to undo in one day what took 800 years to achieve. Our independence. De Valera must be spinning in his grave.

Ireland can peacefully leave the EU any time it pleases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Well done ireland. Nice one. we managed to undo in one day what took 800 years to achieve. Our independence. De Valera must be spinning in his grave.

De Valera. Let's not go there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

K-9 wrote: »
    Jaysus, the elites must have taken over politics.ie. It looks different over there.
    I thought I'd accidentally logged on to P.ie with this thread. That, or AH, or something. Not quite at the CT forum standard yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lemass will be smiling down on us. At last free from the UK and a confident member of the EU.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Plotician

K-9 wrote: »
    At last free from the UK...

What does that actually mean? How were we tied to it before today, and what has changed with regard to our relationship with the UK specifically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

De Valera must be spinning in his grave.

He's been made to spin in his grave by us so many times now that he's probably burrowed his way to Lisbon =p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Plotician wrote: »
    What does that actually mean? How were we tied to it before today, and what has changed with regard to our relationship with the UK specifically?

We were tied to them before we joined the EU, as we needed them to buy almost all our exports, mostly agricultural, and we got nearly all our imports from them. Our currency was tied to theirs, and our economy was utterly entwined with them. The EU allowed us to break the link with Britain and find our own place in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Plotician wrote: »

It means the EU and the Euro made us economically independent of the UK, still important but now the rest of the EU is as important.

The UK can f*eck of out of the EU if they so wish, because EU Membership is the issue there, not Lisbon. We wont be following their agenda.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

He's been made to spin in his grave by us so many times now that he's probably burrowed his way to Lisbon =p

Am I the only one is someone pleased at the thought of Dev spinning in his grave over a new open, progressive country?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Am I the only one is someone pleased at the thought of Dev spinning in his grave over a new open, progressive country?

Nope ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

So the score is 1-1

When do we get to vote on the decider?

Min wrote: »
    So the score is 1-1

When do we get to vote on the decider?

We go on goal difference

We add up the Yes from both treaties and the No votes from both treaties and whichever one is the higher number wins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

We go on goal difference

We add up the Yes from both treaties and the No votes from both treaties and whichever one is the higher number wins

That doesn't seem too fair.
    They made a bigger point about getting people out to vote this time.

It should be voted on again, it's only fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 scaredoflisbon

Ireland can peacefully leave the EU any time it pleases.
    one of the few positves of Lisbon, the 'exit clause'. If only we could believe in ourselves enough to know we could afford it!
    Not a huge Dev fan but as our first true Leader, he set up our own kind of 'New Deal' creating our own national industries Bord Na Mona, sugar beet industry etc, making the best of our limited natural resources most of which have gone by the wayside now. We might not need another Dev but we need a LEADER. Not to worry perhaps Tony Blair (Mr President) will be good for us after all. theres an irony in that Eh?

one of the few positves of Lisbon, the 'exit clause'. If only we could believe in ourselves enough to know we could afford it!
    Not a huge Dev fan but as our first true Leader, he set up our own kind of 'New Deal' creating our own national industries Bord Na Mona, sugar beet industry etc, making the best of our limited natural resources most of which have gone by the wayside now. We might not need another Dev but we need a LEADER. Not to worry perhaps Tony Blair (Mr President) will be good for us after all. theres an irony in that Eh?

Heaven Forbid we get the kind of economic success that Blair brought about in Britian

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

Please don't hail that **** his expenses during the war of independence make o'donoghue's look cheap

i'm referring to dev btw

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dumbblonde122

I am disappointed the Treaty is passed but sure maybe it's a case of onwards and upwards.

I am disappointed the Treaty is passed but sure maybe it's a case of onwards and upwards.

Maybe?

You've had two years to know, shouldnt you know by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

triple-M wrote: »
    well i guess were now the laughing stock of europe because weve proven we've no backbone,for shame Ireland

Sadly it is true, democracy in Ireland is pointless. We have in full view of the world demonstrated that.

We have also proved to Brussels that they need never listen to Ireland again.

We the Irish people have firmly planted ourselves as the most irrelevant country in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭truthisfree

Gonna be fun seeing the jobs that were promised! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

rumour wrote: »
    Sadly it is true, democracy in Ireland is pointless. We have in full view of the world demonstrated that.

We have also proved to Brussels that they need never listen to Ireland again.

We the Irish people have firmly planted ourselves as the most irrelevant country in Europe.

that makes so little sence. We had objections, they gave us legally binding assurances on those objections. We like treaty now. Doesn't make any sence , if anything it makes us seem like more of a backbone, a little backwater in europe and we managed to force them to agree to a whole bunch of assurances just for little old us...

Yeah, here you go

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/%E2%82%AC500million+investment+package+in+the+Irish+electricity+sector+%E2%80%93+EIB.htm

HAve a fun day.

Maybe?

You've had two years to know, shouldnt you know by now?

Yes I have read the Treaty at length but aside from 1 million citizens petitioning the vote and have it only possibly considered then there is nothing we can do!

Godforbid someone sparks an air of positivity re: same. If you're unhappy then you know what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Who promised jobs?

Onwards and downwards you will see within 12 months!

meglome wrote: »
    Who promised jobs?

You are joking surely?

Yes I have read the Treaty at length but aside from 1 million citizens petitioning the vote and have it only possibly considered then there is nothing we can do!

Godforbid someone sparks an air of positivity re: same. If you're unhappy then you know what to do!

Why are you dissapointed at the thoughts of onwards and upwards?

Why are you dissapointed at the thoughts of onwards and upwards?

I am not disappointed. I said onwards and upwards and I am being shot down for same

You are joking surely?

I am not. I never heard anyone say "If you vote yes I promise you jobs".... if you can find someone saying that I'd be shocked.

• Advertisement

I am disappointed....
    I am not disappointed.

:confused: We all have those moments.

Advertisement