Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2nd 2009 - Demoracy in Ireland R.I.P.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Well said Antrim Man,agree with everything you said,we're the laughing stock of Europe tonight!

Yep the 'No' side, indeed, are:pac:
    Humilated, they were:)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

One thing I have learned while reading the posts on this forum is that a lot of people on here clearly have no f***ing idea of how democracy actually works. No voters seem to think that democracy = how they think things should work, and anything else is undemocratic. You're all just pissed off that you had to get off your fat asses and actually do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

One thing I have learned while reading the posts on this forum is that a lot of people on here clearly have no f***ing idea of how democracy actually works. No voters seem to think that democracy = how they think things should work, and anything else is undemocratic. You're all just pissed off that you had to get off your fat asses and actually do something.

Politics is not democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Ritchi wrote: »
    As far as I can see, it was respected, and assurances got to reflect the reasons people gave for voting no the last time. Without us voting no the first time we would not have these assurances(whether they were actually needed, or how legally binding they are, remains to be seen).
    This just shows that the assurances were enough to change peoples mind this time around.

Then why was it run again? I doubt very much it was in the best interest of the irish people alone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Dublin1600 wrote: »
    Ireland was forced to vote on the EXACT same treaty until a YES vote was returned, the treaty we voted on was the same treaty word for word. Demoracy in Ireland R.I.P.

The No side didn't offer any feasable alternative. Thankfully, we are no longer in limbon and back on track with the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Thomas J. Clarke, Sean Mac Diarmada, Thomas MacDonagh, P. H. Pearse, Eamonn Ceannt, James Connolly, Joseph Plunkett are all turning in their graves at the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

orourkeda wrote: »
    Then why was it run again? I doubt very much it was in the best interest of the irish people alone

Indeed, as a democracy, our first vote should have been respected. However, the main reason that a no outcome came to be last year was due to the fact that a lot of people hadn't a clue what it was.

The Government (the elitist shower of sh!tes that they are), i think did the country a good service by running it again with the intention of actually informing people on what they are being asked to vote on.

Still, not a very high turnout which i find slightly worrying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Thomas J. Clarke, Sean Mac Diarmada, Thomas MacDonagh, P. H. Pearse, Eamonn Ceannt, James Connolly, Joseph Plunkett are all turning in their graves at the outcome.

Buy them a pint for me will ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭truthisfree

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    I think the yes vote proves as a nation we are pathetic. Bullied by conmen using fear and most muppets fell for it. We have only ourselves to blame, the FF mob are STILL running the country and still screwing it up.

Its nights like tonight when I fell ashamed of being Irish :mad:

I agree Antrim Man, we have gombeen men in charge and their yesmen generation ready to take over and keep the charade that is Ireland going, time to get out and leave them to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I agree Antrim Man, we have gombeen men in charge and their yesmen generation ready to take over and keep the charade that is Ireland going, time to get out and leave them to it!

What charade are you referring to? The greatest economic growth in Irish history?

Yeah, what a disgrace. The sooner its gone and we're back in the fields scrapping dirt the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭truthisfree

Fuhrer wrote: »
    What charade are you referring to? The greatest economic growth in Irish history?

Yeah, what a disgrace. The sooner its gone and we're back in the fields scrapping dirt the better.

Sad that you actually believe that, gonna be real fun when you find yourself on the plane out of here though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Sad that you actually believe that, gonna be real fun when you find yourself on the plane out of here though!

Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I am sure they are happy Irish people's quality of life has greatly improved beyond what they could have ever imagined and the EU has helped us break our dependence on the UK.

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    We were tied to them before we joined the EU, as we needed them to buy almost all our exports, mostly agricultural, and we got nearly all our imports from them. Our currency was tied to theirs, and our economy was utterly entwined with them. The EU allowed us to break the link with Britain and find our own place in the world.

Who's our biggest trade partner?

Tell me this, how will a yes vote to the lisbon treaty affect this partnership?

Elba101 wrote: »
    Indeed, as a democracy, our first vote should have been respected. However, the main reason that a no outcome came to be last year was due to the fact that a lot of people hadn't a clue what it was.

The Government (the elitist shower of sh!tes that they are), i think did the country a good service by running it again with the intention of actually informing people on what they are being asked to vote on.

Still, not a very high turnout which i find slightly worrying...

Do you honestly that people are better informed that they were at the last referendum? I can't believe that for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Do you honestly that people are better informed that they were at the last referendum? I can't believe that for a second.

Why can't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Who's our biggest trade partner?

Tell me this, how will a yes vote to the lisbon treaty affect this partnership?

UK, just slightly ahead of the rest of the EU, but dropping.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mousehound

Elba101 wrote: »

So, what exactly have the Irish people agreed to by voting YES?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

mousehound wrote: »
    So, what exactly have the Irish people agreed to by voting YES?

the Lisbon Treaty ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I really do. Out canvassing I found this time around people actually took the literature and towards the end were more inclined to say "I have been reading up on it" so on and so forth.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    Why can't you?

Because they werent

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    the Lisbon Treaty ?

Do continue

I really do. Out canvassing I found this time around people actually took the literature and towards the end were more inclined to say "I have been reading up on it" so on and so forth.

I've had the opposite experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Do continue

Hang on now a second, you were on the no side and didn't even know what yes meant!!!...*Shocker*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I've had the opposite experience.

Where were you canvassing, out of interest?

Because they werent

:confused: That's a pretty bold statement to make without any sort of evidence to show it. You could at least wait until the polls/surveys etc start to come out.Oh and by the way...

"I don't believe that for a second" - gives the impression you have some reason to support your view

"I can't believe that for a second" - gives the impression you are just unwilling to accept something... hmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nia87

triple-M wrote: »
    I for one will be welcoming our new turkish overlords ,while im on a jet flying out of this place

my sentiments exactly!!!

prinz wrote: »
    :confused: That's a pretty bold statement to make without any sort of evidence to show it. You could at least wait until the polls/surveys etc start to come out.Oh and by the way...

"I don't believe that for a second" - gives the impression you have some reason to support your view

"I can't believe that for a second" - gives the impression you are just unwilling to accept something... hmm

The yes side were unwilling to accept a no vote first time around. They blamed lack of information.

The yes side dont need evidence. They've got their way this time.

Now that the boots on the other foot there'll be no re-run will there. All this talk of democracy? Where is it? The hypocrisy of it all angers me

Where were you canvassing, out of interest?

No. Is that necessary?

• Advertisement

The yes side were unwilling to accept a no vote first time around. They blamed lack of information.The yes side dont need evidence. They've got their way this time.

So go out and start asking people why they voted the way they did, and contact your local TD etc.
    Now that the boots on the other foot there'll be no re-run will there. All this talk of democracy? Where is it? The hypocrisy of it all angers me

Is it hypocritical that we have divorce now, even though we previously decided against it in a referendum? If an anti-Lisbon party comes to power, of course there could be a re-run.

Advertisement